My arguments about Elladan and Elrohir

I humbly submit that the text gives us the magical means by which Galadriel can know the number and composition of the party to a reasonable degree: the Mirror of Galadriel. If she, being forewarned of the quest, has been watching in her Mirror from time to time she would be able to gain much of this information. Any reports from Elven marchwardens would confirm what she saw.

Last edited:
I humbly submit that the text gives us the magical means by which Galadriel can know the number and composition of the party to a reasonable degree: the Mirror off Galadriel. If she, being forewarned of the quest, has been watching in her Mirror from time to time she would be able to gain much of this information. Any reports from Elven marchwardens would confirm what she saw.

Yes, the sequence of events would be: Orophin goes back to Caras Galadhon to warn of the presence of the orcs and tell Galadriel about the new visitors. She, knowing who they probably are, then uses her Mirror to directly view that location on the border and learn about them.

Fangorn is a strange country.

Dol Guldur is a strange country.

Who knows what other country might be so strange that it was left off the maps and only Elrond and his boys know about it. Maybe it's the hidden lands of the Entwives that is so secret that even the Ents can't find it. Or maybe it's just some secret hide out of the Elves, like Henneth Annun for the rangers of Ithilien, that is so secret that you don't even share it with your your friends. It is plausible that the Elrond's family might have such a refuge near to their enemies.

As with Tom Bombadil, it seems that Tolkien deliberately left some things mysterious and not fully explained.

Back