Nazgul and Their Rings

Enoch_Arden_5

I was listening to episode 98-99 in ExLOTR, and the power of the Ringwraiths was being discussed. Tolkien said before (I believe it was in letter 246, but I don't remember it being in the text) that the Nazgul were enslaved to their rings, which Sauron was in possession of. My question is this: are the Nazgul less powerful as wraiths than they were when they were still "human" and had their rings? We only see one example (that I am aware of) of an individual who truly possessed his ring, and that is Sauron. When Sauron was no longer in possession of his ring, he was greatly weakened, even though that power still existed separately in his ring. If Tolkien did not change this later, then we have to assume that the Nazgul have been without their rings ever since they were fully wraithified. If the Nazgul are no longer in possession of these rings during LOTR, are they also separated from their rings' power in the same way that Sauron is separated from the One Ring's power? If this is the case, wouldn't it be counterproductive for Sauron to hold the nine rings and thereby inhibit the powers of the Nazgul? Or since they have become fully enslaved to their rings do they maintain that power even when not in direct contact with their rings?

I don’t think the Nazgûls rings work in the same way as Sauron’s as their design intent was different.

Sauron’s ring is designed to rule the others and contains much of his original innate power to allow this. The Nine don’t seem to contain any of the wielder’s power as the intent is to ensnare the wielder’s will.

So it is possible that the Nazgûl have full access to their own power without the Nine Rings and any upgrades they get are from Sauron’s remaining power.

We also see at least three others who truly possess their rings: Elrond, Galadriel, and Saruman. Saruman made his own and it therefore is likely to be a pale mockery of Sauron‘s.

Back