NEW Schedule for Silm Film!

So for those who can't participate at all anymore, what are we supposed to do? At least two of us (NotACat and I) also can't even watch the recordings afterwards.

Last edited:
For those who are not sure where to find the recorded podcasts, I provide the following links.

Sessions 3-17 of Season 4 are available on Twitch here:
https://www.twitch.tv/signumu/videos?filter=all&sort=time

Whatever was making the videos disappear after a limited time has been changed, and everything Silm Film from Season 4 Session 3 onward is currently available on twitch as video, including today's session. If someone finds that a video is missing, please let Corey know so that can be fixed.

The videos are also uploaded to Signum U's YouTube channel, and can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLasMbZ4s5vIUVaZafURX-tAZ1arKCVoNc

I note that last week's session is already uploaded, so it looks like the turn-around is much faster than it used to be. Hopefully, that will continue to be the case, and if not, we can bring it to Corey's attention and see if there is anything that can be done about it. I honestly don't know who is responsible for editing the videos and posting them on YouTube for Signum.

I have downloaded YouTube videos to be able to watch them later when there was no internet connection. I could then play them back in VLC (a free download). But that was in 2012, and the site I used is gone. Presumably, there are other options out there for doing that? Obviously, I do not encourage anyone to rip Signum U's videos and repost them elsewhere without permission. But just to download them to your own device so you can watch them is probably a thing that can be done. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to do that?

The new time is 12 hours before the old time, and the twitch recording will be available immediately after the podcast finishes. So, theoretically, those who were able to participate live before will be able to listen to the podcast at the same time they always did, just no longer live. I realize that in practice that may not work out for everyone, and that listening asynchronously is NOT the same as participating live.

I know this will be an adjustment for everyone, and I'm sorry that this time change will make the live broadcasts inaccessible to some :(

Last edited:
I do appreciate your efforts to find a way to make this less awful. But what about folks like NotACat and I who simply do not have the time to watch the podcasts we missed? I just barely had 2.5 hours before work, but even though I changed my work schedule in part to accomodate the podcasts, I still only have 2.5 hours at best, I simply now also have time to get ready for work in the morning. I have 5 whole hours.... maybe once a month, if I'm very lucky. With me already several podcasts behind (I don't know how many, probably a large number), and a new one being broadcast every 1-2 weeks, I would just keep getting further behind no matter what I did.

And without joining live it's even more difficult to bring concerns to the Hosts and be listened to at all.

I do have the VLC player. I do not know how to download YouTube videos or to listen to podcasts as podcasts.
Edit: At this time I can't load even a 5-minute YouTube clip, even when other websites seem to work.

As it is, trying to get caught up on over a month (two months?) of forum threads and script outlines that I missed would take a very, very long time.:(

Last edited:
I do appreciate your efforts to find a way to make this less awful. But what about folks like NotACat and I who simply do not have the time to watch the podcasts we missed? I just barely had 2.5 hours before work, but even though I changed my work schedule in part to accomodate the podcasts, I still only have 2.5 hours at best, I simply now also have time to get ready for work in the morning. I have 5 whole hours.... maybe once a month, if I'm very lucky. With me already several podcasts behind (I don't know how many, probably a large number), and a new one being broadcast every 1-2 weeks, I would just keep getting further behind no matter what I did.

And without joining live it's even more difficult to bring concerns to the Hosts and be listened to at all.

I do have the VLC player. I do not know how to download YouTube videos or to listen to podcasts as podcasts.
Edit: At this time I can't load even a 5-minute YouTube clip, even when other websites seem to work.

As it is, trying to get caught up on over a month (two months?) of forum threads and script outlines that I missed would take a very, very long time.:(

So pretty much any phone either has or can have a podcast app. iPhones have one built in, while Android devices have a slew of them available. I've used both Podkicker and Podcast Addict, and they've worked very well. All of them have search functions, and one can also download the feed to listen offline. This enables me to listen while driving, doing laundry, mowing the lawn, and so on.

So pretty much any phone either has or can have a podcast app. iPhones have one built in, while Android devices have a slew of them available. I've used both Podkicker and Podcast Addict, and they've worked very well. All of them have search functions, and one can also download the feed to listen offline. This enables me to listen while driving, doing laundry, mowing the lawn, and so on.
I use an Android App called Doubletwist. Pretty solid, simple app.

2 cents! Thursday nights would be pret excellent for me, as I would be able to attend the first hour or so without question, and as my work schedule shifts, likely the remainder in a month or so! But that’s incidental, I would argue against it if puts anyone else out.

Well, I've been attempting to listen to the first episode in the new timeslot at various spare moments during my working day: I've got 35 minutes in at double-speed and I don't think I've actually heard half of it, it's really not the same as listening live.

I shall persist, however, and let you know if I manage to get all the way through. I will have to stop my attempt in a little while to attend the Gryfflet stream, and then it's the weekend when I have other stuff to do, so I'm not promising anything…

2 cents! Thursday nights would be pret excellent for me, as I would be able to attend the first hour or so without question, and as my work schedule shifts, likely the remainder in a month or so! But that’s incidental, I would argue against it if puts anyone else out.

Good to see you around, man! You've been missed!

Hey there, good to see you, Brian! I am glad this new time slot works for at least someone. :) Unfortunately, it's not an option to continue in the original time slot. Trish's new job for some reason wants her to work on Friday morning rather than make podcasts. The nerve! The three cohosts didn't really have another available time slot, so they compromised and came up with this. So, Thursday nights it is! The next podcast will (tentatively) be on Thursday July 11th at 10 PM Eastern Time [barring a conflict].

Yeah, listening asynchronously is definitely not the same as attending live. I often find myself frustrated if I'm not able to comment/participate as we go, but luckily other people often step in and comment on the issues that I find important, and I also can appreciate the conversation differently if I'm not as invested in participating live. I realize it's different for me, since I usually can participate live, and about a third of that is 'so, Marie, remind me again what we decided...?' Certainly you can post any ideas you'd usually share in the podcast here in the forums, so I can incorporate them into the notes/powerpoints that I send along prior to the broadcast. [With the new time, I'll likely be sending those along on Tuesday evenings now.]

Hopefully, you'll be able to find time to listen, Phil...I know amysrevenge went through a similar transition from attending live to listening asynchronously this season, and it isn't fun. Thanks for not giving up right away - hang in there, and I hope it works out!

What if somebody simply cannot find the time to catch up on missed podcasts at all? It doesn't seem like it's possible to continue in the project at any level, without being able to watch asynchronously.
Certainly you can post any ideas you'd usually share in the podcast here in the forums, so I can incorporate them into the notes/powerpoints that I send along prior to the broadcast.
I have never quite understood how this works. If what the Hosts say in the podcasts are or include Final decrees/decisions, how can anyone give feedback or have a say after the decision is made and won't be changed? If someone can't comment during the podcast itself, isn't it too late to have any say at all?

Last edited:
What if somebody simply cannot find the time to catch up on missed podcasts at all? It doesn't seem like it's possible to continue in the project at any level, without being able to watch asynchronously.

Essentially, I would say that if someone does not have the time to listen to the podcasts, which are central to the project, that participation would be quite difficult.

have never understood how this works. If what the Hosts say in the podcasts are final decrees/decisions, how can anyone give feedback or have a say after the decision is made and won't be changed? If someone can't comment during the podcast itself, isn't it too late to have any say at all?

It's been pretty clear that not every word from the hosts is immutable. They change their minds, they forget things, they are convinced to reverse decisions based on feedback from these forums. Sometimes, however, they make it clear that we have moved on from a topic, and trying to force them to continue to go over it is counter-productive.

I will say that the Hosts are well aware that there's a hurdle for new people to get involved in the project - asking people to catch up on so many hours of podcasts before jumping in is a big ask. I know Corey and Dave did an 'Intro to Silm Film' talk at a California moot last year at the very beginning of Season 4 (podcast link available here: https://radiopublic.com/the-tolkien-professor-BWkdy6/ep/s1!ffa46 ), and part of the hope for that was to give a quick entry point into the project. Corey Olsen's "The Tolkien Professor" podcast just recorded its 500th episode, so, yeah...this is a lot. The first Silm Film episode was June 2015, so exactly 4 years ago now.

As I see it, there are a few options. Start listening at the beginning, and whenever you get caught up, go ahead and join in at that point. Granted, that was much easier when I did that halfway through Season 1 than it is currently! Another option would be to start listening at the beginning of the current season, so one is 'up to date' on the podcasts, and then go back and listen to the older ones at your leisure. This has an advantage of allowing people to 'jump in' faster (especially at the beginning of a season), but does require that the listener have patience considering what they don't know about what came before. Obviously, we're not going to all rehash everything that happened back in Season 2 just to 'fill in the gaps' for someone who hasn't listened to the podcasts. But we can answer the occasional question about how x was handled when it comes up. The kind of thing that can be answered with, "In SilmFilm, Amrod died in the shipburning" and "Fingolfin is a kinslayer."

What happens here on the forums is a discussion concerning the content of the podcasts. Thus, listening to the podcasts is a prerequisite for participating in the conversations. Granted, not everyone is always caught up on all of them, and some of us miss one from time to time, but then you generally just skip over those conversations if you're not up to speed on what is being discussed. If you do want to join a conversation or comment, it makes sense to preface your remarks with 'I haven't had a chance to listen to the session yet' so people can be understanding if you missed something.

The order of events is this. During the podcast, Corey comes up with his 'Questions for Next Time' (I realize we've departed from that model lately, but that was true for Seasons 1-3, anyway!). The thread is opened on the messageboard, with his questions in it as food for thought (or my heads-up as to what the next session will be focused on in the absence of that). Everyone here discusses in the week or so following the podcast. Then, I compile notes and a powerpoint from that conversation and submit it to the Hosts prior to their broadcast. During the broadcast, they discuss and make decisions, using listener input (both the notes from the boards and live comments).

For an asynchronous podcast listener, it would be best to listen to the recording sometime in the week after it airs. This would allow you to drop by the messageboard and add your thoughts/comments before the next podcast. That is what I meant by my comment about posting your ideas on the forums in advance to be incorporated into the podcast that way. That has always been an option, and some of our regular participants on the messageboards have not attended the sessions live.

Like any fandom activity, the general assumption is that everyone is caught up and 'up to speed'. There's generally a leeway immediately after new content comes out as you let everyone get caught up, but the assumption is that someone who is active in the fandom is going to want to watch/read the newest release and that the discussions are going to focus on that. If you haven't gotten caught up yet, you likely aren't going to join the discussions focused on that movie/book/TVshow/whatever. I know everyone here has read the Silmarillion, and it's not like Tolkien is publishing new content. So, at least there's that! But the reality is that this isn't simply 'Silmarillion fandom' - this is a fandom project focused on Corey Olsen, Dave Kale, and Trish Lambert's Silmarillion Film Project podcasts. So, yeah, there's a presupposition that those who want to participate in the project want to listen to the podcast sessions, and have done so.

I guess I’ll give my thoughts. It’s a bit convenient since I fell asleep watching it and missed the lion’s share, but I’ll work with it. I still have problems with the Hosts being long-winded but that’s a problem that I’m not sure can be fixed.

Last edited:
I guess I’ll give my thoughts. It’s a bit convenient since I fell asleep watching it and missed the lion’s share, but I’ll work with it. I still have problems with the Hosts being long-winded but that’s a problem that I’m not sure can be fixed.

I'm not entirely what you mean by long-winded. Do you mean the discussion itself is long? Or that they discuss unimportant topics for too long? Or that they don't get far enough on the topics they do discuss?

All at once; the discussions themselves can take a while and Corey sometimes goes on tangents, while some topics go undiscussed. Case in point 4.09 or 4.10, where he spent almost all the time on Hildorien and he was supposed to discuss Hildorien, Dragons and Luthien that day. It also does take awhile for the session to get going.

Well, not really. He gets to determine the topics of discussion, not me. I gave him material on Hildorien, Dragons, and Lúthien, and he decided to discuss Hildorien for the full session. He covered Dragons and Lúthien in later sessions.

Back