New Stream Idea - Play Me a Story

JJ48

Based on discussions at Mythmoot of games and stories, I thought it might be fun to actually play through some games and not only examine their lore, but examine how the games present and unfold their stories. I would start with the Legend of Zelda series, as not only is there a fair bit of story in the games, but the series has been going on long enough that we could even see in what ways the story has changed over time.

Would this be something Signum would be interested in hosting on Twitch; and if not, does anyone know how to set up a Twitch stream series? Either way, what equipment would I need? I have a computer, a console, and a webcam (if such a horrid device is deemed absolutely necessary); and I should be able to get a capture card easily enough. Is there anything I'm missing?

I like this idea!
To do your own straming, get a free software called OBS, wtch videos on how to set it tup to stream to your Twitch channel - that's how I got the WriterSpace times going on the SignumU channel.

Meanwhile, i'm going to pass this idea along - total credit to you! - to the folks who are thinking about expanding offerings at Mythgard1

Got a capture card for my computer this week and I'm working on getting everything set up. My plan at the moment is to stream Mondays 7PM-9PM Eastern, starting this coming Monday if everything works out well. I'll post Twitch information for anyone interested once I get everything sorted out.

Unfortunately, I forgot to have Twitch autoarchive the stream (but have adjusted the setting so that it should do so in the future). If you would like to view the video, it will be available on YouTube once it finishes uploading.

Last edited:
In our second installment, we brave levels 5 and 6, discuss Digdogger's least favorite music, and dislike dislike the Like Likes.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I will be unable to stream Press Play this week or next week. I plan to stream again starting Monday, April 12th.

Last edited:
In our third episode, we cruise through levels 7 and 8, then continue on to hunt down Ganon himself and save Hyrule! This one ran a bit long to allow us to complete the game, and next week we'll begin Zelda II: The Adventure of Link!

In the first game, Impa sent Link on a quest to recover the Triforce and save Princess Zelda, which we succeeded in doing! The second game switches things up a bit by...having Impa send Link on a quest to recover the Triforce and save Princess Zelda; though it's a different Triforce and a different Zelda, but the same Impa and the same Link. Hyrule is also the same, but now with civic improvements and citizens who can speak properly (more or less)! In this installment, we successfully tackle Palaces 1 and 2. We also tackle Palace 3, albeit somewhat less successfully.

Last edited:
Continuing through Zelda 2, we manage to knock out palaces 3-6, and show those bosses who's boss! Then we make our way toward Great Palace, and the monsters in the Valley of Death show us who's REALLY boss!

We successfully wake the sleeping princess in Zelda 2, and begin exploring A Link to the Past, with a much deeper storyline than either of the previous entries!

As we continue through A Link to the Past, we obtain the Master Sword and meet more old men willing to give us guidance and story elements. We then travel to the first of the Dark World dungeons and recreate the experience of looking for our keys; only instead of searching through drawers and couch cushions, we have to search through rooms filled with traps and monsters.

We continue exploring the Dark World and take down the Swamp Palace, Skull Woods, and Thieves' Town levels. We also try to determine how much of A Link to the Past is a shameless rehash of the original Legend of Zelda, and discuss just what is Nintendo's obsession with lefties.

The ayes have it! Of course, by "ayes" I mean "eyes", and by "it" I mean "the maidens we're trying to rescue". The eyes of Ganon certainly are everywhere as we take down Ice Palace (with its boss Kholdstare, who consists of eyes in clouds), Misery Mire (bossed by Vitreous, the eye with more eyes in eye-goo), and Turtle Rock (which has Trinexx, who actually has a body, but since he also has three heads, we're still fighting SIX eyes). Link can't help but feel like he's being watched as he heads towards Ganon's Tower and prepares to take down the evil pig lord who seems to be trying his hardest to put the "eye" in "team"!

Last edited:
In this episode we resolve to defeat Ganon or die trying...or both! However, it hardly seems a fair fight when Ganon can't even remember his enemy from fight to fight; poor guy!

We then move on to Link's Awakening, which introduces jumping and shows our protagonist concerned about the danger posed by Ganon's ashes, just like Zelda II! In fact, if we ignore the differences in game mechanics, setting, and plot; the two games are hardly distinguishable from each other! Join us as we begin our journey, not to replace the six crystals and recover the Triforce of Courage, but instead to collect the eight Instruments of the Sirens and wake the Wind Fish!

Music abounds on Kohlint island as Link takes on Bottle Grotto, Key Cavern, and Angler's Tunnel! He also finds himself an outcast from shop after shop; but less time for browsing means more time for adventuring! With a sword in his hand and a song in his heart, Link's journey continues!

Back