Nightfall in Middle-Earth Part 2

Tungol

I found the discussion of the fourth song "Nightfall" very interesting, but I think there is a piece of information that was missing. Apparently the lead singer Hansi Kürsch also wrote a companion story to the album from the point of view of Maglor, son of Feanor. Some of the lyrics appear to be drawn from this account. For example the interludes in "Nightfall":

"But even in silence I heard the words" and "Just wondering how I can still hear these voices inside".

The context is that Maglor is wandering in silence after he threw the Silmaril into the sea, looking back on events. The translation from German is a bit iffy, but here is an image of the first page (a full transcription can be found here):

2cq09c0.jpg

Last edited:
All of this brings more complexity to the lyrics, and it makes me wonder again about the chorus of "Into the Storm".

We are following
The will of the one
Through the dark age
And into the storm
And we are following
The will of the one
Through the dark age
And into the storm
[Blood on me]

I think the main question here still is, who is the "we"? There seems to be a lot of ambiguity. It could be the listener, or the Noldor, or Melkor and his followers.

And then who is saying "blood on me" at the end? It could be Melkor with the blood of Finwë. But look at the section "The Murder of Kin" above, where Maglor is saying "I open my eyes and look down on hands covered with blood: the claws of a beast these are!"

So, the chorus could also be the Noldor, with Maglor admitting that he has the blood of the Teleri on him (there is also a section where Maglor discusses following the will of the One). I think we see this ambiguity in a lot of places in the lyrics, and maybe it's not an accident but something that Kürsch intended. Regardless it makes it really difficult to determine what is going on. It also raises the question of whether they allowed the lyrics to be transcribed incorrectly as a way to obfuscate their meaning.

Last edited:
Back