Noldorin princes and their crafts

Traditionally, angels have had very little in common with human society. Though, not surprisingly, the rather stratified Medieval society imagined that angels too were strictly hierarchical.

So perhaps we can be forgiven for occasionally making elves in our own likeness. ;)

We made Irime as glassblower... I don't recall any firm decisions for the others.

I do this we should play with a wide range of crafts, from various cultures, and consider what effect we want each character's craft to have. Do we want their craft to emphasize a trait of theirs, or to offer a contrast or glimpse of another side of them? Making the unlikable Caranthir a swordsman, perhaps specializing in daggers, would play up his rough, suspicious nature, but making him, for example, a master of delicate porcelain figurines -- aligning his crafting more with his mother, amongst other things -- would offer a more "humanizing" interpretation of him.

I am totally down for Caranthir: Master of Delicate Porcelain Figurines. :D

... imagine him losing his temper when he can't get them to come out the way he wants.

I'm guessing all or most of the sons of Feanor also knew something about metalworking.

And that is why a delicate porcelain figurine made by Caranthir is so rare; most of them are destroyed while he is still working on them! ;)

No, but seriously, he gets along decently well with the dwarves of Belegost, though they are never friends, so some professional respect for their craftsmanship is there. He probably has some overlapping interest with their crafts.

What is the most solitary, anti-social craft? Most crafts are a solo undertaking, of course, but which doesn't require any support at all? No forge, no support craft to provide supplies...

Maybe he carves whale bone or something?

A ceramicist can source (or trade for) their supplies, build their own kiln, and prepare their own clay, glaze, and paint.

I don't think we necessarily need to think that way, though. There's a danger in characaturing Caranthir as the totally antisocial loner. He's a racist jerk and hard to get along with, but he isn't Eol. I don't think he goes out of his way to avoid people (Noldor), or that nobody at all is willing to work with him ever.

One kind of figurine is a bit narrow, though. Either he would make other porcelain things like tableware and sculpture, or he would make figurines out of multiple kinds of materials. Or something composite like porcelain-and-jewel-inlaid [wood or metal] furniture.

Last edited:
Back