NOMINATION INSTRUCTIONS

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the instructions on how to nominate someone!

This forum is ONLY for nominating cast members for Season 4. Do not comment on any of the nominations posted here.

One thread per role. If you want to nominate someone for a role that isn't already here, start a thread with the character's name. If a thread for the character you want to nominate for is already on the board, use that thread to post your nomination.

Include the following in your nomination post:
  • Actor name
  • Link to their page on imdb.com
  • Height and age
  • Photos, no more than 3 (for Voice roles or characters who are known musicians, always include a movie or sound clip)
  • A short write up of why you are nominating this actor, referring to the specifications created for the character.
Actors are eligible to be nominated if they are:
  • alive
  • have an imdb page
  • have not already been cast in this project
A list of roles already cast can be found here: Cast So Far

The House of Hador, as described by Tolkien, will tend to be blond and Nordic-looking. They do not all need to be blond; some can have dark hair. They are taller than the other houses. "Northern European"

Tolkien says that the House of Bëor tends to have dark brown hair and grey eyes, though some had fair hair. They are shorter than the House of Hador. Mediterranean

The House of Haleth is generally shorter than the other two houses. Indian/Pakistani.

Making characters within houses look alike will help the audience tell what house a character belongs to.

Bëor – one actor. 60s. Hale and hearty. Not skinny. Hefty. Barrel-chested. Maybe bearlike.

Adanel – Her most important period is the time around when she is 29, so we should look for an actress around that age who can also play her at 19. May or may not need an actress to play her at 71. Looks like she could be from either the House of Hador or the House of Bëor.

AndrethTwo actresses. NOMINATE PAIRS! 20s and 60s to 70s. People can nominate a pair of actresses who look alike. Kind of small. Big personality. Intelligent. Calm. Charismatic. Attractive. Animated face.

Barahir – one actor mid-30s to play ages 31 and 55. Warrior. Tall. Imposing.

Emeldir – one actress. Scary. Tough-looking. Formidable. Not necessarily unattractive. Tall. Commanding presence.

Haleth – 30s, able to play ages 16-81. Possibly different casting for age 16. Brawny. Short. Could stand out and be a little taller than the rest of the house. Commanding presence.

Haldad – late 40s-50s. Not as imposing as his daughter. No taller than Haleth.

Hador – 18-20s. Tall. Dashing. Charismatic. Leadership presence. Warrior.

No casting call for Galdor until Season 7.

Amlach – 30s. Brown-haired. Not necessarily attractive. Leader. Unpleasant. Aggressive. Defiant. Prod. Sneering. Arrogant. Shorter than Hador. Hunter.

Bereg – Late 40s. Could be blond. Farmer/herder. Not a man of action. Could be older than Hador and Amlach. Not cowardly. Wise. Common-sense.

Maeglin – Should look like Aredhel and Eöl. Not creepy. Idril’s mistrust should seem misplaced. Dark-haired. Attractive. Charming. Small in comparison to Tuor. Muscular, but not huge.

Pengolodh – Bookish. Not physically imposing. Slighter or shorter.

Elrhûn – Sinda serving under Fingon. Hard-faced. Stoic. Stern. Grim.

Haradrim have African complexions.

Queen Azrâindil – Distinguished. Not lofty. Benevolent. Friends with her subjects. Not skinny.

Abrazân – Around 20. Boromir-like

Arnûben – Around 20. Faramir-like

First Mouth of Sauron – Looks like the other Haradrim. Thin. Physically opposite the queen.

Last edited:
This forum is ONLY for nominating cast members for Season 5. Do not comment on any of the nominations posted here.

Gentle reminder not to comment on any of the nominations in this forum. If you would like to discuss actors who have been nominated, please post in the appropriate thread in the Season 5 casting forum. We encourage discussion to take place! But please do not add comments to the nomination threads; they will be deleted.

Yes i did it .AGAIN.Sorry but i constantly loose track which thread or subforum i am in at the moment.

No worries - it's easy to get the Season 5 casting forum and the Season 5 Nominations forum mixed up.

I would like to remind people to remember the casting criteria, including what has been decided about the ethnicity of the houses of Men. The criteria are the results of a collective process and has been given an OK by the execs. Just ignoring that isn't showing respect to the collective, to be honest. If you have trouble finding actors that fill the criteria, please start a discussion in the Season 5 general section or in the thread created for the specific character in the Casting section.

I was going to mention this. There seem to have been some very obviously white actors cast for houses that have been confirmed as non-white. I didn’t want to bring it up for fear or seeming that I was ‘snitching’ lol but wanted to check how hard and fast we had to take these guidelines as it might broaden my scope as this is new to me. Good to know I’m already playing by the rules though.

"Non-white" is a weird concept to me.So... mediterranean, latino, indian and near eastern people are not white, but... sub-saharan people are not people who will be cast because they are too much "non-white"?

I understood that Halethians and Beorians do not necessarily look central, western, northern or eastern european.what else did i get wrong?

I didn’t and I won’t point fingers at anyone. Just stay as close to the criteria as you can, and start a discussion on the appropriate thread if anything is unclear, and you’ll be fine.

I did not see any single nomination that did directly contradict the ethnicity schedule for either the Edain nor the Haradrim.I want to point that out.Elves are a different thing, i already have articulated my opinion on that decision before and won't repeat myself and bring it up again.

"Non-white" is a weird concept to me.So... mediterranean, latino, indian and near eastern people are not white, but... sub-saharan people are not people who will be cast because they are too much "non-white"?

I understood that Halethians and Beorians do not necessarily look central, western, northern or eastern european.what else did i get wrong?

The specifics of the ethnicities of the various houses have been discussed in length elsewhere.

Of course, lots of these things are hard to quantify as certain traditionally used terminologies for race are supercharged and not particularly helpful. Hence my not using 'caucasian' as a descriptor. Regardless, to quote the guidelines:
  • The House of Hador are a blond/e, blue-eyed people, with a classic Nordic feel.
  • The House of Beor are dark-haired, dark-eyed and with a darker complexion (loosely quantified as 'Meditteranean').*
  • I believe the House of Haleth are also dark-haired and dark-eyed generally speaking and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) we are generally thinking of South-Asian actors.

*I will add, I'm personally not sure this is a super helpful descriptor, either for casting purposes or just generally in life, but I believe the idea is that we are looking for actors of roughly Spanish, Portuguese, Latinx or Latin America heritage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok.I still do not understand it as many Pakistani are actually far lighter skinned than many mediterranean or latino people, but i won't comment on the issue any more.That Vin Diesel shortfilm, multiple colores, i liked it.

Last edited:
From the instructions above:

The House of Hador, as described by Tolkien, will tend to be blond and Nordic-looking. They do not all need to be blond; some can have dark hair. They are taller than the other houses. "Northern European"

Tolkien says that the House of Bëor tends to have dark brown hair and grey eyes, though some had fair hair. They are shorter than the House of Hador. Mediterranean

The House of Haleth is generally shorter than the other two houses. Indian/Pakistani.

Making characters within houses look alike will help the audience tell what house a character belongs to.

These are the guidelines we are attempting to follow when nominating characters. Northern European could include Germany, Poland, Russia, Iceland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden. Mediterranean can include Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Israeli, Egyptian, Moroccan, Tunisian, Algerian, Maltese, etc. For House of Haleth : Indian, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Sri Lanka. . .

So, Omar Sharif would have been House of Bëor.
1620927164387.png1620927222218.png

The Patil twins (Parvarti and Padma) from the Harry Potter films, played by Shefali Chowdhury, Afshan Azad, and Sitara Shah are House of Haleth.
1620927499779.png
1620929867022.png
Katheryn Winnick, the actress who plays Lagertha on Vikings would be House of Hador.
wmW3s1.jpg

Many actors are from Canada or the US. Some have mixed backgrounds. Some come from parts of the world we did not discuss - for instance, where does 'Samoan' fit in our understanding of peoples of Middle-earth? All of the examples I gave above are more complicated than they appear at first glance. Omar Sharif is Egyptian. But his ethnic background is Syrian/Lebanese. All three would be considered 'Mediterranean', and he has the dark hair we want to associate with the House of Bëor (well, until he went silver/white, of course!) The actors on Harry Potter are all British; that was one of the stipulations of casting those films. So Chowdhury, Azad, and Shah are all from the UK. Chowdhury was born in Wales; her parents are Bangladeshi. Azad is also Bangladeshi, and from Manchester. Shah is from London. Winnick is from Canada; her background is Ukrainian.

I think that you have to look at the actor you want to nominate, look at the guidelines, and ask...will this person fit in? If not, maybe look for another choice.

As for the question of 'what if the South Asian actors are lighter skinned than the Mediterranean actors?' I think we will have to deal with the fact that in many countries (including India), lighter tones of skin color are considered to be more beautiful than darker tones. And so, actors tend to have lighter skin tones than the population in general. The same is true in Latin American countries and for African-American actors in the US. There are exceptions, they just take more work to find.

Last edited:
For double-casted roles, perhaps two each for photos and videos (one video, one image)?
Oh I just now recalled this, after having posted... What do you think, I can delete a couple of pics or you can add so you have three of each. Whichever is fine by me.

Back