Of Marineers and Flammifers

I dud some research on the etymology of "mariner". The word derives from the French "marinier". I could find no English usage of "marineer", but given the French as well as English words like "mountaineer" which follow similar etymology, I suspect Tolkien coined it himself.

As far as the use of the very Latin "flammifer", I had a thought. English is meant as an analog for the language of men and by extension hobbits. I was also reminded of the comparison made between Quenya and Latin. That got ne wondering, might the presence of "flammifer" in Bilbo's poem be a sign of some Elvish influence on him since he moved to Rivendell? The poem itself has transformed from the low and silly to the high and epic. Little linguistic touches might also contribute to this and suggest the Elvish influence in its composition.

Well i thought a flammifer was literally a flame- thrower... But in the case of earendil as a star it's just a picture of a very bright light. For what use the tetm in the context is i couldn't say... I believe it's a pseudo- archaism that might well reflect elvish influence or just bilbo's attempt to imitate a more archaic poetic language which looks a bit comical to his listeners.

If I am correct, the word 'flammifer' shares its second part with the name 'Lucifer', which means as much as 'Light-bearer', from latin 'lux' - 'light' and 'ferre' - 'to bear/carry'. Following this, 'flammifer' would mean 'flame-bearer', I guess.

Of course you're right! It's flame- bearer, not thrower... Plus it seems to be an attested latin phrase.

Back