On the Spell of Bottomless Dread

It may seem cliche but it is a fact that M. Does not actually really DO a lot of things...

Yes even IF we chose to use the scene where M. Taunts Hurin on Haud en ndengin and if we chose that M. Does attach Hurin on Thangorodrim all by himself these still are rare exceptions of him walking around, doing things...
And it's something I'm trying to avoid with Sauron.

In comparison to Morgoth Sauron looks VERY mobile and active... again, until his later phase...in lotr he seems lurking from the shadow, somewhere hidden in his tower. But before... with his actions in tol in gaurhoth, eregion numenor, he pretty much does more than morgoth did ever!

I don't agree that the books depict Morgoth as passive or doing almost nothing. He's afraid to leave Angband, but being a homebody or a coward isn't the same as being passive.

Passive ... i don't know... he is into his corrupting Arda thing, i think of that as a very active process.

I can think of two depictions of someone locked into place like this on film. One is the three-eyed raven in Game of Thrones, who has grown into the tree and been entangled with it. Clearly, he cannot physically move, but from there, he can see any time or any place. The other is the villain Father in Fullmetal Alchemist, who attaches to his chair and draws in whatever is flowing through the pipes surrounding it. He can (and does) stand up and leave the throne, but the implication is that he can control things from there and doesn't need to very often.

So basically, if we want to depict some sort of viney connection to the throne that rips out the roots when he stands, we can, so long as we are emphasizing how that gives him control.

What about the godfather? Welll he DOES a lot of things of couse, when he is young he is the guy who pulls the trigger, but the later godfather is the scheming wiseguy, sitting on his chair, commanding everything and everyonevaround him by his sheer air of authority..

Back