On the Wisdom of the Eldar and Edain

Killin' it on that awesome research, Marie, that does help us a lot. This is something I wish we had worked out in time for last week's session, but I guess we should probably just sort it out amongst ourselves and have the Hosts weigh in whenever we review the revisions to Season 1.

We should really consider starting a SilmFilm bible to catalogue places where the show is different, expanded, or otherwise not word-for-word exactly the same as any of the source material, this is the kind of thing that'll be important for making sure later seasons are consistent, but that may not be obvious or clearly stated in any of the outlines.

Cuz we haven't got enough to do already.

What if we did make Arathorn's death be from an intentional raid on "the" village? (Or the village gets raided, Arathorn sends Gilraen to Rivendell, and he goes out to track down the ambushing orcs when he is then killed.) This could scatter the remaining Dunedain and give Gilraen a reason to flee to Rivendell instead of to other Dunedain. Plus we could imply that the surviving Dunedain were never able to reorganized so that later an older Aragorn must go out to bring together his scattered people Old Testament-style. It would create a really good frame story for a latter season. [And I'm willing to be flexible with this next idea, but I think he should round them up in an epic montage set to the A-Team theme. But again, I'm willing to be flexible with this.]

Is Dunedain culture ever explained? I've personally always thought they just roamed about like nomads in the North. Could they be more like a Native American culture with no permanent settlement but many temporary locations that they move between as a single community?

We only meet the Rangers, who of course are more itinerant and less rooted than the rest of the Dunedain. I think that one could give them a collection of scattered villages, with some people being more mobile. But there's room for interpretation here.

(My 'research' consisted of reading the first paragraph of 'The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen' in Appendix A, and checking Gilraen's birthdate on the Tale of Years in Appendix B. So....don't give me too much credit until I start pulling out obscure HoME references!)

Plus we could imply that the surviving Dunedain were never able to reorganized so that later an older Aragorn must go out to bring together his scattered people Old Testament-style. It would create a really good frame story for a latter season. [And I'm willing to be flexible with this next idea, but I think he should round them up in an epic montage set to the A-Team theme. But again, I'm willing to be flexible with this.]

Works for me! :)

I'm slightly confused: I thought that it was settled lore that Aragorn's predecessor Chieftains had all been educated at Rivendell since Arahael, son of Aranarth. Is it intended that Gilraen somehow disapproves of this tradition?

Side-note: I find it amusing that Grammarly recognises "Gilraeon" as wrongly spelt, but offers "Gil Ramon" instead, while recognising "Gilraen" as correctly spelt :rolleyes:

I'm slightly confused: I thought that it was settled lore that Aragorn's predecessor Chieftains had all been educated at Rivendell since Arahael, son of Aranarth. Is it intended that Gilraen somehow disapproves of this tradition?

Side-note: I find it amusing that Grammarly recognises "Gilraeon" as wrongly spelt, but offers "Gil Ramon" instead, while recognising "Gilraen" as correctly spelt :rolleyes:

Is it terribly unreasonable to disapprove of a practice that has born no fruit for a few dozen generations, or at least have your own ideas about what might be best for your own child?

This is actually something that we want from Gilraen; to be able to give her son something extra with regard to his heritage that makes him a better, ultimately successful king and leader. She may not have the wisdom or see the bigger picture in the way that Elrond has and does, but she, as Andreth does, needs to get a few wins in the debate between Eldar and Edain. She will eventually come to realize just how important the Eldar perspective actually is, and how it is extremely relevant to Aragorn in particular, but her starting point is one of misunderstanding and skepticism.

The problem becomes that if we are not careful, Gilraen is the voice in favor of the deeper education, while Elrond is in favor of a more cursory overview.

I listened to the script session a second time, and my thought was something similar to yours, Nicholas. I don't want us to lose Elrond's wisdom. Yes, the dunedain foresight is important, but so is the foresight of the bearer of Vilya.

Back