Only a Small Part in Great Deeds - Another Look At Gandalf's Response to Bilbo

And, to be fair, his following words about Frodo and Bilbo being the only true eye-openers may color what he meant: that Frodo and Bilbo, as hobbits, were far more naive about the peoples and history of Middle-earth [think of Gandalf's correction to Frodo about the character of Men].

Are you saying that it was the hobbits that were having their eyes opened? Because I think Gandalf's saying that Frodo and Bilbo were the only real eye-openers means that the only real surprise to everyone in the room was their courage and strength, and he (Gandalf) was not surprised by it. So it was a compliment.

Are you saying that it was the hobbits that were having their eyes opened? Because I think Gandalf's saying that Frodo and Bilbo were the only real eye-openers means that the only real surprise to everyone in the room was their courage and strength, and he (Gandalf) was not surprised by it. So it was a compliment.
I've actually read it both ways. I lean toward 'Frodo and Bilbo were surprised [eye-openers]' because Gandalf parallels it with the fact that he was not surprised.

And I can well imagine both Boromir and the dwarves working mightily hard not to show any surprise. Boromir so as to hold up the honor of Gondor, and the dwarves not to let any elf get the impression that they were more knowledgeable than the dwarves. ☺️

Nothing decided!’ cried Pippin. ‘Then what were you all doing? You were shut up for hours.’

‘Talking,’ said Bilbo. ‘There was a deal of talk, and everyone had an eye-opener. Even old Gandalf. I think Legolas’s bit of news about Gollum caught even him on the hop, though he passed it off.’

‘You were wrong,’ said Gandalf. ‘You were inattentive. I had already heard of it from Gwaihir. If you want to know, the only real eye-openers, as you put it, were you and Frodo; and I was the only one that was not surprised.’

Here's the context, Kate. I think it shows that Gandalf was not surprised by the hobbits' stories, though everyone else was.

Nothing decided!’ cried Pippin. ‘Then what were you all doing? You were shut up for hours.’

‘Talking,’ said Bilbo. ‘There was a deal of talk, and everyone had an eye-opener. Even old Gandalf. I think Legolas’s bit of news about Gollum caught even him on the hop, though he passed it off.’

‘You were wrong,’ said Gandalf. ‘You were inattentive. I had already heard of it from Gwaihir. If you want to know, the only real eye-openers, as you put it, were you and Frodo; and I was the only one that was not surprised.’

Here's the context, Kate. I think it shows that Gandalf was not surprised by the hobbits' stories, though everyone else was.
Moving this to the general thread, because I'd like to hear everyone else's opinion.

Back