Orcs

Raiment just means 'clothes' not 'fancy clothes' - the fancy connotation is simply because it's an archaic word not much used. But a *lot* of Tolkien's language (especially in Lost Tales, but also in LotR) is archaic, and he tends to use its original meaning. Now, if you say something like 'fair raiment' then yes, you're saying pretty clothes. But 'Angband's raiment, foul and sad,' is *not* fine clothing.

The orcs are actually wearing dun-colors as camouflage in the Nirneath as described in Children of Hurin, not grey, but whatever - the point was simply camouflage. I am not complaining about Morgoth fitting his armies in dark colored armor in usual circumstances, of course.

"Swart" obviously comes from the word for black - but as used in English, can refer to someone with dark hair and dark complexion. Like an Italian or Spaniard. :p But no, seriously - it means that as much as it would mean that the orcs have a darker skin than that.

Also keep in mind that anyone is dark, if the lighting is right. Legolas' head is described as dark against the sky when he shoots down the Nazgul's steed, and so some artists have drawn him with black hair (particularly in that scene). Others have made him blond because of the frequent references to his fair features - but that is almost definitely meant to point out that he's a pretty elf. Tolkien never actually describes his hair color one way or the other, though Thranduil is of course blond. Thus, the Mordor orcs all refer to Gollum as a black creature, which has everything to do with him skulking in shadows, and is not necessarily a comment on his appearance. Likewise, the “black figures of many orcs” are seen across a chasm of firelight, and I daresay any creature would appear as a 'black figure' in those lighting conditions! And when Sam sees the orcs pass by while wearing the Ring, he sees them as grey figures, but that is almost definitely the distortion of the Ring, not what they look like under normal conditions.

There are references to skin tone - for instance, the tracker orc in Mordor is clearly black skinned, not just wearing black clothes or standing in shadows. And the Uruk-hai call the Men of Rohan 'Whiteskins', implying that their own skin (and that of the other orcs) is not white.

But, at the end of the day, I don't necessarily care if Tolkien very explicitly made all of his elves and men and hobbits pale white and all of his orcs black-skinned. What he was *going* for was unlovely twisted figures for the orcs, and I think we can do that...without sticking to only dark skin.

You made your case for the darker-skinned Avari, but the Execs didn't go for it. They decided on homogenous elves at Cuiviénen. We'll see in the casting on Friday who actually was chosen, but I would not be surprised if they vetoed choices that they don't think fit.

Last edited:
I think regardless of whether Tolkien wrote things as explicitly as "light skinned = good, dark-skinned = bad" or not (it is debatable, with either yay or nay being defensible), we for this project will be making the deliberate decision to not do that. The world is a different place than it was.

I did enjoy the repeated reference to cat-like eyes and ears though. I'm not going to lie, "feline" wouldn't be on my shortlist of words I'd use to describe my personal vision of orcs, but I'm starting to dig the idea.

Is it possible that Rankin Bass paid closer attention to this than I have? The folloing image does sort of scream "feline" in a lot of ways...

The-Hobbit-TV-1977-Rankin-Bass-ScreenShot-19.jpg
The-Hobbit-TV-1977-Rankin-Bass-ScreenShot-19.jpg

The Moria orcs can see in the dark better than the Uruk-hai. I have to imagine that cat eyes would be very helpful for seeing in the dark....so, yes, I'm okay with using cats eyes in the design.

Cat ears most likely is just a reference to them having good hearing (like a beast?), rather than a comment on the appearance of the ear. I'm...less okay...with giving the orcs cat ears.

For somewhat self-explanatory reasons:
751261851_157967.gif

Yeah it's a look that kinda works within the context of the very cartoony R-B film; those pointy ears up on top of the very round head look appropriate. But for a live person in makeup... I just don't think the shapes work.

Disproportionately large heads (as well as somewhat long arms) can help to give the 'distorted' appearance we'll need. No one should be able to mistake the orcs for elves. But I don't think their arms need to be all that extra-long; the orcs just don't stand up straight, letting their arms hang low. All of that 'crook-legged' loping and being bent over face down while running can explain why the Uruk-hai derisively call the Mordor orcs 'apes.'

Sort of a computer-aided effect in post - I would wager that a small increase in apparent head size would have a large effect in how they would look.

One of my favourite bits from the Hobbit film extras was the former-gymnast movement coach that they had for the actors. That guy really nailed goblin-gait I think.

Raiment just means 'clothes' not 'fancy clothes' - the fancy connotation is simply because it's an archaic word not much used. But a *lot* of Tolkien's language (especially in Lost Tales, but also in LotR) is archaic, and he tends to use its original meaning. Now, if you say something like 'fair raiment' then yes, you're saying pretty clothes. But 'Angband's raiment, foul and sad,' is *not* fine clothing.

All true, but in this Case I take Foul as meaning rotten, not badly made.

"Swart" obviously comes from the word for black - but as used in English, can refer to someone with dark hair and dark complexion. Like an Italian or Spaniard. :p But no, seriously - it means that as much as it would mean that the orcs have a darker skin than that.

Well as I said, I'd take that simply for the Orcs having many tones of darker skin, from tanned or mediterranean to darker tones to maybe more sickly grey and sallow lighter enorthern european tones.

Also keep in mind that anyone is dark, if the lighting is right. Legolas' head is described as dark against the sky when he shoots down the Nazgul's steed, and so some artists have drawn him with black hair (particularly in that scene). Others have made him blond because of the frequent references to his fair features - but that is almost definitely meant to point out that he's a pretty elf. Tolkien never actually describes his hair color one way or the other, though Thranduil is of course blond. Thus, the Mordor orcs all refer to Gollum as a black creature, which has everything to do with him skulking in shadows, and is not necessarily a comment on his appearance. Likewise, the “black figures of many orcs” are seen across a chasm of firelight, and I daresay any creature would appear as a 'black figure' in those lighting conditions! And when Sam sees the orcs pass by while wearing the Ring, he sees them as grey figures, but that is almost definitely the distortion of the Ring, not what they look like under normal conditions.

Agreed that it doesnÄt mean anything without other context, but in context with the other quotes... also the Orcs are seemingly near enough in that scene.

But, at the end of the day, I don't necessarily care if Tolkien very explicitly made all of his elves and men and hobbits pale white and all of his orcs black-skinned. What he was *going* for was unlovely twisted figures for the orcs, and I think we can do that...without sticking to only dark skin.

You made your case for the darker-skinned Avari, but the Execs didn't go for it. They decided on homogenous elves at Cuiviénen. We'll see in the casting on Friday who actually was chosen, but I would not be surprised if they vetoed choices that they don't think fit.

I would not be surprised either... and I´m a bit sad for the Elves ...

going for black, Grey and sallow again...

there#s a sickness called argyria which gives people a grey skin-tone, Hyperpigmentation can have similar effects, also Orc Blood is frequently described as black, deoxygenated blood does look almost black... that might influence Orcish looks if we can see their veins and sickly dark blood... as orcs are called degraded and repulsive I guess they don't look very healthy.

Last edited:
Argyria is from silver contamination. I agree it looks unnatural...but I'm not sure it looks particularly orcish or sickly. Methemoglobinemia gives you blue skin (cyanosis), and is a recessive inherited blood disease (observed in the Fugate family of Troublesome Creek, Kentucky for the most famous case). It does result in odd colored blood, but more chocolatey than black. Symptoms are similar to sickle-cell or other forms of anemia.

No photos, but there is this portrait:
cover1.jpg

I feel I should go look at pictures of meth addicts and people dying of liver failure to really get an idea of what 'sickly' attributes I'm looking for...but maybe not right now.

I#ve seen some pics of Argyric Persons that are okay for passing as swart or grey, liver failure can also give you a dark, yellowish skin. All fine to me, and comparing Orcs to Meth addicts doesn't seem too far fetched...

Oh I'm a little late to this thread.. Good work already!
I liked the idea of big hairy ears - catlike or not - and eyes that are yellowish or like charcoals, maybe catlike as well but certainly like the eyes of beasts, and the fangs - these should be orc traits from the beginning, I think. I'm not sure if I want a Tevildo connection though. Should he really be given such a prominent role - a father of all orcs? That's what it would imply.
Anyway...
Skin colour could change later, we could begin with paler and more sickly versions of the elven skin tone. Of course, the orcs will be dirty and live underground, and so they are probably partly grey or darker because of that. Or they could paint themselves. Perhaps they paint their faces black to look like Balrogs?

I think that's what the filmmakers for The Hobbit had in mind for Azog and Bolg for the bone-white skin tone, as well as the more upright posture and mind for strategy (at least for Azog).

i'd like roles like azog or bolg for morgiths generals... lug, orcobal,balcmeg,othrod,gorgol, boldog if they should appear in the series... though i'd like them to look a bit more human and less bestial

Yeah, I don't want to imply that Tevildo fathered orc children. That's a bit messed up. {Yes, I realize we are discussing the origin of orcs, which is all kinds of wrong no matter how you look at it, but that's in the wrong direction rather than just squicky.} But I like yellow/green see-in-the-dark eyes. Fangs are also good, but *very* difficult to pull off well in a human-ish face.

All sharp teeth looks not only wrong, but not terribly...functional.
Gormogon.jpg

Spacing and variation in length is key.

Fangs_01_rfc1036.jpg

And please, please, please - no Gamorrean guards. Just - no. I realize that some people think of something like this when they hear 'orcs', but.....please no!

Gamorrean-hd.jpeg

I think that Boldog, at least, will appear in our story, as his role is plot relevant. As for the others...it will depend how much screentime we intend to spend with the bad guys and what their storylines end up being. Doubtless there will be orc raiding parties far from Angband where we will need an orc chieftain type to be giving the orders.

Last edited:
You know, when I watched Return of the Jedi, I sometimes wondered if George Lucas got the look of the Gamorreans straight from Sleeping Beauty, with Maleficent's goons, especially the one at the far right, who appears to be a higher-ranking one.

latest

what about the headless horseman in sleepy hollow... he ddoesn't have fangs but sharp teeth... or wolverine and sabretooth?

like i said before, not only roles that have dialogue are important, outstanding background characters too (figwit) ... besides casting roles for imaginary movies being fun, i so far miss scenes where no actual dialogues happen but scenery is shown and general action happens (not that i know how to actually do that... )

Last edited:
That's why I like the climax of The Last of the Mohicans; there's only one word uttered and the music.

Back