Original Music uploaded to YouTube

Next track is my interpretation of Yavanna. With the discussion in the sessions about the casting of Yavanna being someone tall and willowy and of African origin I started to think about African rhythms and harmonies. Not sure if I have captured it completely but it is my first composition with drums. It has part of Nature's Reclamation in it because I want this and Manwe's themes to intertwine into that theme when the eagles and ents are brought to life. I hope you find Yavanna as peaceful as I have.

And the latest from my creative mind (and Musescore) is Aule.
It has the same tones as dwarvish music in LOTR and Hobbit movies, low male voices and instruments in a minor key.

With the discussion about Melkor's theme, I am preparing three different variations for consideration by the hosts for ongoing use throughout the seasons. The first one represents pride for season 1, the second seduction for season 2 and the third will be the Dark Lord in all his evil glory. I will get them posted over the next couple of days, definitely before the session on the 22nd of April.

With the discussion about Melkor's theme, I am preparing three different variations for consideration by the hosts for ongoing use throughout the seasons. The first one represents pride for season 1, the second seduction for season 2 and the third will be the Dark Lord in all his evil glory. I will get them posted over the next couple of days, definitely before the session on the 22nd of April.
Perhaps something to represent his fascination for the Void and being alone? Or maybe that's a separate theme.

I think a solo instrument should get across the idea of being alone. The way I am writing his theme is in terms of variations so that they are always recognisably attached to Melkor.

So here it is, the triple whammy of Melkor. Three pieces for the price of one. As per the discussions about Melkor's theme, I could not do just one, because Melkor is different in the different seasons, so first is Melkor's Pride. This starts in the void. The lack of instrumentation at the beginning and the lone trumpet playing the melody represents being alone in the void. Varda's starry tinkle is heard, but as Melkor's voice becomes insistent her voice falters. In Arda it has more body with more instruments. The piece is I believe distinctive and individual but the braying of horns and other instruments playing in unison mirror the Ainulindale and he has not yet become the petty Dark Lord.

Melkor the Deceiver is for Season 2 after he is released from the halls of Mandos and he begins to spread his lies among the Noldor.

Morgoth The Dark Enemy is the last in the transformation as he makes the final plunge to despicable Dark Lord of Middle Earth. There are some similarities to some music from the Lord of the Rings movies.

I have to thank Karita for sending me this melody that she has had running around inside her mind for years. Strange Gift is about the mortality of mankind. To quote Karita "This is a composition inspired by Tolkien's concept of mortality and death as a gift given to mankind by Iluvatar. We hear a theme of mourning answered by one of blessing and hope, and in the end sorrow and wisdom are intertwined." In the YouTube notes I nominated the place for this piece as being the death of Beor which is a long way off in SilmFilm development, but elements could be used for the death and mourning of Finwe, maybe adding a bit of Mandos' theme to indicate where elf spirits go after death. I hope you enjoy, well maybe enjoy is the wrong word, how about "appreciate" Strange Gift.

And another track uploaded to YouTube. This one is Mairon. I was thinking about this one as I walked down to the butcher shop today and I let a familiar theme play over and over in my mind. It is youthful and exuberant with an element of whimsy, but lurking behind is a very familiar theme. Brownie points go to the first person who is able to recognise it.

I uploaded a new version which has some notes stressed and the second last chord is a now a dead giveaway. Surely someone will recognise that.
I finally listened to this on the last session - and I love it! I've been hearing flutes or clarinet or oboe for the Mairon-Sauron music.

I finally got around to listening to these via the Episode from two weeks ago, and I have to say, they're all really great. I had details here and there that made me go "That could be different" but over all they're just so spot on and feel so great, I'm really quite amazed. Well done, Phillip.

During the session on music for Season 1 Corey said that Mairon's theme could easily make a transformation to something more melancholy, so I got busy this week and here is a variation on the original Mairon theme, Mairon Melancholy. I am just wondering where this will fit in. I will ask the hosts to think of a suitable place in the season where it could be used when Mairon is having second thoughts about the path he has set his feet to.

Of course I couldn't resist using Eddie Redmayne (our Mairon) as the still for the video.

Back