Other sides

Florian

All this talk about other sides just got me idly wondering what this wraith world/unseen realm/whatever would look like in the version of "The Lord of the Rings" published in the Star Trek mirror universe...

All this talk about other sides just got me idly wondering what this wraith world/unseen realm/whatever would look like in the version of "The Lord of the Rings" published in the Star Trek mirror universe...

It wouldn't look like anything: The LoTR would never have been published, or burned if it was, as it represents seditious ideas. Instead a story called "Those pesky Halflings" would have been published in which Frodo murders Bilbo for the One Ring, Sam murders Frodo for the One Ring, and then Sauron captures and tortures Sam for having withheld the ring from its rightful owner without being strong enough to use it. After Sauron crushes Saruman for his insolent attempts to displace him, Sauron would have launched an unsuccessful attempt to take over Valinor which would be put down by a brutal onslaught from Manwe secretly in cahoots with Melkor. After this Melkor and Manwe would have a duel to the death for dominance of all of Arda, only to have Eru laughingly crush them both and then hit reset on Ea to watch it all play out again.

Not quite the ST mirror universe, but "The Last Ringbearer" is a pretty close fanfic. Personally, I couldn't finish reading it. Turning Tolkien on his head was uncomfortable to me, but mainly it's just not all that well-written (at least in English translation).
There's a wikipedia article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ringbearer
I can't remember where I downloaded an English translation, but there seem to be plenty of current sources on the web.

Back