Petty dwarves nomenclature

there was much discussion about the term "petty dwarves". I agree with where it sort of landed, and the use of the term Exiles.

But I wonder... what if some, perhaps not Elves but Men, referred to them as "the pitied dwarves"? This has the fun of playing with the role of pity in the kegendarium, and we could treat the term "petty" as a corrupted form of "pitied", so Tolkien nerds would get the reference but noobs would not be taken aback by the word petty.

Just a thought.

there was much discussion about the term "petty dwarves". I agree with where it sort of landed, and the use of the term Exiles.

But I wonder... what if some, perhaps not Elves but Men, referred to them as "the pitied dwarves"? This has the fun of playing with the role of pity in the kegendarium, and we could treat the term "petty" as a corrupted form of "pitied", so Tolkien nerds would get the reference but noobs would not be taken aback by the word petty.

Just a thought.
I think the Noldor are the main people who are associated with the term Exiles.

I think the Noldor are the main people who are associated with the term Exiles.
Mostly, but there's also (thanks Tolkien Gateway :cool:):
Also, I was reminded of the Eglain, a term used in LOTRO for the Men-folk who live in the Lone-lands between Bree and Rivendell, but originally another name for the Falathrim: the name means "The Forsaken".

Mostly, but there's also (thanks Tolkien Gateway :cool:):
Also, I was reminded of the Eglain, a term used in LOTRO for the Men-folk who live in the Lone-lands between Bree and Rivendell, but originally another name for the Falathrim: the name means "The Forsaken".
I have to agree with NotACat. Exiles will be used by both the Noldor survivors of the 1st Age and the Numenorean in the 3rd Age. The Numenoreans in particular even consider Arnor and Gondor the realms in exile.

I am fine with the term being used as long as it's noted and contrasted with how other groups will use it.

The Noldor have the hope of going back home except Galadriel.
The Numenoreans might have hope initially, but it dies after a few hundred years and they still use the term.

Back