Physical profiles and other capabilities

Ange1e4e5

For upcoming seasons, should we ask the Hosts what sort of physical appearance and singing ability our actors should have? I’m hoping to avoid the problem we had this season where none of the Hosts liked any of the nominees for Caranthir based on physical appearance.

Haakon and MithLuin were talking about something like that, but the conversation is sort of scattered between the Caranthir and Finrod nomination threads. Discussing it in a more obvious place isn’t a bad idea .

I plan to ask the hosts about specific attribute requests for prominent characters during the sessions.

Yeah. To be fair, a casting process should start with a character description, and include a description of what the actor should look like or be able to do before we even get to the nomination stage. I know we have informally discussed that here, but we haven't ever made actual character profiles before. Doing that, and sharing them with the Hosts for feedback prior to nominations, would probably make this process more robust. Knowing what scenes we have planned for the characters isn't always entirely possible, but still, we can try to sort out character arcs.

Also, realistically, a character profile would be something you could hand to a casting director, so it would maybe feel a bit more productive than simply casting this project with actors we know.

Yeah. To be fair, a casting process should start with a character description, and include a description of what the actor should look like or be able to do before we even get to the nomination stage. I know we have informally discussed that here, but we haven't ever made actual character profiles before. Doing that, and sharing them with the Hosts for feedback prior to nominations, would probably make this process more robust. Knowing what scenes we have planned for the characters isn't always entirely possible, but still, we can try to sort out character arcs.

Also, realistically, a character profile would be something you could hand to a casting director, so it would maybe feel a bit more productive than simply casting this project with actors we know.
Is this a direction we want to go?

I don't want to unilaterally decide anything. But yeah, I think that would be an improvement. Is that something you'd be willing to work on?

Orodreth
probably Finduilas and Gil-Galad
Glaurung
Eol
Maeglin
Annael, if at all possible
various less-than-royal side characters in Doriath and among the Noldor (see below)
some Dwarves?

optionally: Voronwe and Pengolodh would be born during this time, probably, unless we use the version of Pengolodh who's from Valinor. Gildor could be introduced if we want. Probably Glorfindel, Echthelion, Egalmoth, etc. (It'll be easier to mourn for them if they're a bit known to audiences before the season when they die.) etc.
I would like to introduce Galadhon, Galathil, and Oropher in Doriath.

Bafore the Dagor Bragollach, we'll also be introducing a large number of mortals.

Orodreth
probably Finduilas and Gil-Galad
Glaurung
Eol
Maeglin
Annael, if at all possible
various less-than-royal side characters in Doriath and among the Noldor (see below)
some Dwarves?

optionally: Voronwe and Pengolodh would be born during this time, probably, unless we use the version of Pengolodh who's from Valinor. Gildor could be introduced if we want. Probably Glorfindel, Echthelion, Egalmoth, etc. (It'll be easier to mourn for them if they're a bit known to audiences before the season when they die.) etc.
I would like to introduce Galadhon, Galathil, and Oropher in Doriath.

Bafore the Dagor Bragollach, we'll also be introducing a large number of mortals.
Eol was cast for Season 2.

Glaurung would be a voice actor; I’d like to see if we could have Javier Bardem voice him.

Wouldn't be tnis the seasin in which we introduce the humans? So we should meet beor, marach, haleth etc. ... did we decide to do a hildorien arch or not?

Wouldn't be tnis the seasin in which we introduce the humans? So we should meet beor, marach, haleth etc. ... did we decide to do a hildorien arch or not?
Depends on what we decide to cover this season. We need to decide whether or not to split the events from the waking of Men to the Dagor Bragollach.

Back