Practicing simple greetings...

Sparrow

Hestia of the Hearth
Madainn mhath a h-uile daoine!
(morning good to all persons!)

An gabh sibh cofaidh?
(will lift you-all coffee?)

Is any language welcome, or is this intended for the specific languages already mentioned in the other post?
All languages welcome!

More = merrier!

(The Elder Child might show their face in here if there's a conversation started up in Lojban...)

Ah! Well then, I will add Amharic, the official language of Ethiopia, as the greetings are something I can handle (well, most of the time....)

It is perhaps typical of the language that a video listing 'basic greetings' takes up twenty minutes (and I never heard the words listed as 'hi' here), but, well....
(I am including the video, because trying to figure out pronunciation based on my transcription isn't really straight forward - and the video has the words written using the fidel, as they should be. 'Is' is typically transcribed 'new' for English speakers, because it's more like 'noah' than simply 'no' - there's a 'w' without any additional vowel on the end. If you just say 'no', you sound funny to native speakers. But if I write 'now', most people wouldn't read that as no-w.)

Selam no? = Hello. [lit, Is there peace?]
Peace is-[there]?
Selam no, egsabier emasgen. = There is peace, thanks be to God.
Peace [there]-is, God/Savior thanksgiving (okay, okay, so I never really learned grammar in this language....)

Endate no? = How is it [going]?
How is-[it]?
Dena neñ, egsabier emasgen. = I am fine, thanks be to God.
Fine -am, God thanks

Dena neh/nesh/nachoo? = Are you (m/f/pl) fine?
Fine are-[you]?
Egsabier emasgen, dena neñ. = Thanks be to God, I am fine.
God thanks, fine -am.

Antes?/Anchis? = [And] you (m/f)?
You?(m)/You?(f)

Dena wal! = Goodbye! (lit., Have a fine day!)
Dena hun/huni/hunu! = Goodbye! (m/f/pl)
Ciao! = Goodbye (loan word from Italian)

The real trick with greetings is that they depend on time of day, but aren't simply 'Good morning' or 'Good night.' So, if you greet someone in the morning, you ask them how was their night. And if you greet someone in the afternoon, you ask them how their day was. Etc. Luckily, no matter what, the response is "I am fine, thanks be to God. And you?"

(There is also a formal/respect form of 'you' for all of these, but I never learned it. So I guess I was perpetually rude to older folks, oops.)

Other basic greetings:

Melkam lidet! = Happy Birthday! (This is expressing wishes that someone will have a happy birthday, so you would never use it after the fact for belated birthday wishes.)

Enquanaderaseh/Enquanaderasesh/Enquanaderachoo! = Happy feast (m/f/pl)! [IIRC]

Last edited:
"Happy feast" seems like a particularly Hobbitlike sentiment, I shall attempt to remember it!

Madainn mhath, a Mithluin.

Thanks! (Ameseganalo) It's the greeting for holidays. The response is something along the lines of 'Let's all have a happy feast,' but that's not a literal translation. It's been about 4 years since I've been there, though, so I am very out of practice - and my conversational skills never really got past polite greetings and practical stuff, like telling kids to sit down and be quiet, or buying things in the market, or asking for directions.

Last edited:
Hola and ahoy! I do a lot of that, too, telling kids to sit down and listen. I teach Spanish to middle-schoolers. I miss Beowulf class, but I've been using the momentum from it and the time I used to spend translating that to work on Pedro Figari's Arte, Estetica, Ideal. He's a major Uruguayan artist, and this is his treatise on aesthetics from the early 20th century, which as far as I know has never been translated. I'm curious what other languages/projects people are working on.

Ver heill ok sæll!
Be hale and happy! (Old Norse)

Salve!
Be saved! (Latin)

And some greetings in Amborian (a conlang of mine):

Keviahi tuvjam?
Being-free-are you?

Ollot tuvaum?
Being-called you?

Wes, I've posted a bit about my current project, which I hope will develop into my Signum thesis, over at the other open thread on Polyglot's Corner. It's a digital, layered text of the Old Norse poem Hervararkviða (The Waking of Angantyr). Recently I started a new philology blog to document the project. If you're interested, you can read about it here:

http://blogonthebarrowdowns.blogspot.com/2017/11/digitizing-hervor-part-1-project.html

An gabh sibh tì?

(question-marker) raise you-all tea?

(same "raise" for a cup of tea, a house, or a child)

Hallo!
Hello!

Guten Tag!
Good day/good afternoon!
(German - my native tongue)

Привіт!
Pryvit!
Hello!

Добрий день
Dobryi den
Good day!
(Ukrainian)

Prynhawn da!
Good afternoon!

Croeso!
Welcome!
(Welsh)

I don't actually speak Welsh, but I meddled with it some time ago. Ukrainian I am learning now for some time over a year

Hi everyone. For anyone of you who might be interested in Amharic. I have discussed greetings and leave taking in detail in this video. you can check it out here

Back