Production Babies

DolorousStroke

Flammifer and Lawler presently have a really excellent and quite "illuminating" bicker going on in the thread Spells Have Always Been Cast. As Lawler said a few hours ago, Prof. Corey has mentioned that the medieval view of light and sight was that it was cast out from the eyes, and that looking was not a receptive act.

As it happens, I just listened to episode 76, The Morgul Blade (from a couple of years ago; I am catching up), where Prof. Corey first discusses the Wraiths' eyes "piercing" Frodo a la the medieval view. I was struck by the time-turnery crossing of the streams. A current discussion is going on about casting, but I have the gift of experiencing years' old things for the first time (as one so often wishes for with one's beloved). I am so far behind, but that is no more a curse than, for example, learning about 1776 in 2020 and experiencing its bequests now.

So I thought: how far can this gift go on? Who will come after me in "rushing" through the first chapter? (It was such a rush! Are we going to go back and cover things at quarter speed at some point in the future?) There is a lot of joking about finishing in 2030 (that seems to be sort of a set maturity date for the series).

But what if this is not 2030, but intergenerational? What if the child of one of the first posters makes a post? My 5yo daughter has already, by proxy through me, posted a drawing of Odin a la D'Aulaire. But what if a baby that was born after episode 1 embarks on her own on episode 1 to "catch up"? Any work can survive to be read by the next generation; we read old things. But what if a baby born during the series posts during the series?

Animated movies sometime list in the credits "production babies," born during the making. (I love looking at the names. Sometimes there is a star next to the baby's name, showing that the baby died before the movie was completed, like some universities, e.g. Princeton, have stars under the windows of rooms where students died in great wars. Why a star, one wonders; add a vertex but keep the general idea of a cross, perhaps.) There are probably already production babies for ELotR (share first names, if you like: I love them!). When will the first production baby post in this forum, or on twitch? That would instantiate the intergenerationality of this gift.

Last edited:
Back