Queen Azrâindil (renamed thread, earlier "Haradrim Matriarch")

Ange1e4e5

So the Season 5 Frame is banking on the character who is familiar with Gandalf be a woman of Haradrim and Numenorean descent with two sons, one of whom will become the Mouth of Sauron. @Rhiannon suggests giving some members of the family Aduniac names to reflect this heritage. So we'll need a name.

Shohreh Aghdashaloo
Height: 5'5"
Roles: Nadereh 'Nadi' Behrani in House of Sand and Fog, Dina Arez in 24: Day 4, The Chairman in The Adjustment Bureau (deleted role), Stefania Vaduva Popescu in Grimm, Commodore Paris in Star Trek Beyond

b5ab3013965c57ae12bf64373bcb9a13.jpg

Last edited:
Shohreh Aghdashloo? Her voice alone is amazing
1609941153018.png
1609941173555.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Names? Making up names is a hobby of mine...

I liked the name of the numenorean woman Zamin and numenorean names such as Imrazor.

Maybe a name similar? Such as "Indramin" or the like? Not quite EXACTLY adunaic, but fake-adunaic, which would be a stand-in for the adunaic-influenced haradrim language we do not know.

Other ideas... Ibêth, Marakali, Ûmrathil, Muravâti, Khôrathil, Radazari, Kharaphel, Zôrahin ...

I had a feeling she was going to come up at some point. My only hesitance is the modern feel of her roles.

Maybe I'm being a bit slow but I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean. Could you explain what you mean? It's a Monday

EDIT: sorry, just got what you're saying. Generally, she has been in modern material with modern stylistic vernacular, acting choices, so it's hard to picture her in different material. Is that roughly it? Took me a second

Maybe I'm being a bit slow but I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean. Could you explain what you mean? It's a Monday
See post No. 14 on the First Mouth of Sauron page. @Haakon nominated Krysten Ritter at least three times in the past and none were successful since many of Ritter's roles have a more modern feel to them (ex: Jessica Jones).

It's a hard thing though right. As really, there are far fewer historical dramas or fantasy flicks due to big budgets compared to modern set stories.

If actors have shown a range in general, can we assume they can handle the role. I'm guessing people recommend people based on something they have seen in their performances.

That said, until recently I would've found it hard to imagine Chris Rock in a dramatic role. Or earlier in their careers, it'd have been a stretch to picture Robin Williams or Jim Carrey in serious roles. So I do get where you are coming from

It's a hard thing though right. As really, there are far fewer historical dramas or fantasy flicks due to big budgets compared to modern set stories.

If actors have shown a range in general, can we assume they can handle the role. I'm guessing people recommend people based on something they have seen in their performances.

That said, until recently I would've found it hard to imagine Chris Rock in a dramatic role. Or earlier in their careers, it'd have been a stretch to picture Robin Williams or Jim Carrey in serious roles. So I do get where you are coming from
I think there is a general assumption that they can, at least on the nominating end, with more recognizable names having a better chance. My personal approach is playing with a character type; for example for Season 2 I nominated Tom Hiddleston as Fingolfin, as a variation of his roles as Loki and as Prince Hal.

Yeah, that totally makes sense. I was having an off day on Monday clearly lol. Ready it back it is very apparent what you meant. I'm putting it down to a third national lockdown + homeschooling lol

I think that it's important to have both possibilities in mind when it comes to casting famous or less famous actors for small roles (or any role for that matter). A famous actor brings a whole package of associations, which could be great in some cases. The typical example of a movie trying to use this is the old Robin Hood film Prince of Thieves, where they introduce King Richard the Lionheart when the movie is almost over and just for a brief scene. To convey the wow factor of his entrance, they chose Sean Connery as the king. One could argue that it makes the scene a little silly, but that's what the movie as a whole is like. I think it can be done without the comedic effect, but I'm not sure it's easy to avoid it.

The alternative is of course to choose a lesser known actor for a small role, but then you will have to put much more effort into the script.

Back