Quick question about how to destroy the Ring

chase128

During the Council of Elrond chapter, Elrond responds to Glorfindel at one point saying:
"But Gandalf has revealed to us that we cannot destroy it by any craft that we here possess..."

Did Gandalf explicitly say anything about how to destroy the Ring up until this point in the Council? We the reader know about the conversation between Gandalf and Frodo during Shadow of the Past, but Glorfindel and other council members don't.

Or is Elrond meaning that "Hey if you folks have been paying attention to everything said here you should be able to deduce the Ring can't be destroyed by normal means"?

During the Council of Elrond chapter, Elrond responds to Glorfindel at one point saying:
"But Gandalf has revealed to us that we cannot destroy it by any craft that we here possess..."

Did Gandalf explicitly say anything about how to destroy the Ring up until this point in the Council? We the reader know about the conversation between Gandalf and Frodo during Shadow of the Past, but Glorfindel and other council members don't.

In the parts of the council the reader is privy to, no Gandalf does not explicitly say it. I would guess that Gandalf probably said something in the omitted parts of the council. Or Frodo relayed the whole conversation between him and Gandalf when he gave his part of the story. By Elrond's statement, I think it safe to assume that this information has been shared in the council at some point.

Or is Elrond meaning that "Hey if you folks have been paying attention to everything said here you should be able to deduce the Ring can't be destroyed by normal means"?

I don't think Elrond could reasonably expect most of the folk there to be able to deduce that. I think Elrond is reminding "everyone" (the council and reader) about this information, as it's going to be highly relevant to the ultimate argument to bring the ring to the fire in a few moments.

Back