Radagast in The Hobbit?

Flammifer

I thought I remembered some brief mention of Radagast in The Hobbit, but I can't find it. Is it there? Does anyone know? If so, what does it say, and where is it?

I thought I remembered some brief mention of Radagast in The Hobbit, but I can't find it. Is it there? Does anyone know? If so, what does it say, and where is it?

It's in the Beorn chapter:
"I am a wizard," continued Gandalf. "I have heard of you, if you have not heard of me; but perhaps you have heard of my good cousin Radagast who lives near the Southern borders of Mirkwood?"
"Yes; not a bad fellow as wizards go, I believe. I used to see him now and again," said Beorn.

Last edited:
I remember how intrigued I was when I first read the Hobbit about the wizards. When Radagast was mentioned I instantly wanted more information on him and the rest of the white council.

We don't know anything more about other wizards, or a council, until the very last chapter of 'The Hobbit', when, in Rivendell, on the return journey, Bilbo overhears conversation between Gandalf and Elrond and reports, "It appeared that Gandalf had been to a great council of the white wizards, masters of lore and good magic; and that they had at last driven the Necromancer from his dark hold in the south of Mirkwood."

So, it is a council of white wizards, but not yet 'The White Council'. (Which has morphed into something more than a council of wizards by TLOTR).

"A great council of white wizards", seems to imply that at this stage JRRT perhaps envisaged many more wizards than the 5 that eventually are mentioned (only 3 of which ever appear in TLOTR).

I meant that I was curious about Radagast and then when the council of white wizards was mentioned I was even more so. Sorry for the less than precise language.

Back