Regarding Sam The Verbal Savage

LadySchmebulock

So this is more of an observation than a question regarding Sam's wonderful little quips and nuggets of savage wisdom.
There was some discussion if he might be the comic relief or is trying to keep Frodo's spirits up.
I don't see it either way.
I think Sam is just making honest comments, calling things as he sees them but I don't think that he really means or thinks what he has to say is going to be listened to or even noticed, so he may just be saying it for his own sake as Sam has a habit of talking to himself. My high school English teacher had an anecdote similar to this. For one of his university classes, students would fight and get to class early to sit right at the front of the lecture hall because the professor had a similar habit of Sam's of adding his own commentary under his breath as though he didn't think anyone would hear, but the students sitting closer to the front would hear them and found him rather funny even when he wasn't trying to be, it was just his way of talking.
I don't think here Sam is trying to make a joke or play the fool for Frodo. However, the narrator did notice and thought it worthy enough to put it into the book probably because he thought it was humorous even if Sam wasn't trying to be at the time. If it comes off as humorous it is most likely because the narrator does or we as the audience do.
So far my part I don't think this is Sam trying to be funny, it's just Sam's way of talking.

Back