Resources and introduction

Forlavladir

Hi!

I just came to think of how we, as this project moves forward, might be able to start producing some actual music (which would be awesome). I therefore thought that it might come in handy to have a general overview of what kind of skills and experiences that people on this board have access to.

So why don't we all introduce ourselves and tell one another what we would like to bring to this project.

I myself am a half decent musician. I have never really written a serious piece of "art" music, but I am a quite good sound engineer and can provide technical experience to this project, given that you feel that there is a need for that. I mainly work in Logic and WaveBurner, but I have experience from working in ProTools, Cuvase, Reason and other DAWs as well.

Regards!

Tobias

I'm not particularly good at composing music, but I can try to lend my voice (I'm a baritone) if anyone is writing choral music for the project. If there are any other singers hanging around, it would be pretty cool if we could all collaborate a la a Virtual Choir.

I love the idea of a "Virtual Choir"-thing (reminds me of a danish advertisment - sorry no translation, but you get the idea from the video).

I'm 18 years old and have sung in a choir since I was about 8 years old - and I'm currently participating in a musical (I am an alto).
I can play piano and a little bit guitar, but I don't consider myself a great musician, and I have never wrote anything. However I learn easily and while I don't have the great technical skills, I love creating, so I might be able to participate in some way or another.

I'm an intermediate to advanced pianist and a early intermediate violinist. I can sing a bit but I don't really consider myself a singer. However, if a voice is needed, I'm generally an alto singer.

I'm so glad that there are people who know how to record music because that is something I don't know much about.

Hey all,

I've actually composed a bucketload of themes (some developed, others less so). Some of which is on silmarillionsymphony.com
I'm always looking to collaborate, as I think this whole mythology is fascinating and full of meaning for all, and thus participation from many I believe is a benefit.

I compose, play some french horn (started learning it in February as to avoid having to use only sample horns), bass guitar, guitar, and have a good orchestral collection of samples and decent engineering skills as well (although I would defer to Tobias as to focus more on composing and orchestration). Speaking of orchestration - I believe Howard Shore had people doing some orchestration on the Hobbit movies - so if we have an orchestrator/arranger on here that'd be a major help.

I have a good home studio setup also.

My musical bio is, I am an intermediate pianist and love to sing. I have been playing for over 40 years now. I often play the music from the movies and I was lucky to come across a full piano score for the extended version of FOTR online. I immersed myself in the soundtracks of the Hobbit movies before I saw them and found that it helped me to appreciate and integrate the music into the movies better. I have not written any music but I have a good ear and I am keen to try my hand at some themes (full orchestration will be beyond me).

In reply to Aaron, do you have a walk through of the music you have composed? It would be good to know if it is "inspired by" or if you have written it as "an unfolding of the stories". It would just help me get a better handle on what you have done.

In addition, is there any existing forum where we could share compositions. I just checked and it doesn't appear that any sound file formats can be uploaded onto this site. It won't accept abc, midi or MP3.

Hi Phillip - I'd love to hear some of what you come up with.

My compositions are intended as underscores to The Silmarillion. So in answer to your question, the compositions are more like an unfolding of the stores. As to a walkthrough - I'm posting a couple links below with some commentary on the two longest pieces on my record.
On Musical Illustration
On The Beginning of the Days
On The Music of the Ainur

I believe we'd have to use dropbox or something like that to share composition ideas.

Hey everyone. I am a casual musician (meaning I taught myself and play in my free time). I know some guitar and can fake the mandolin somewhat convincingly. I love to sing and am naturally a baritone.

Regarding a place to share compositions, someone could just create a shared Google drive folder and paste the link here and everyone could access/edit/add to the folder through the link.

Elementary school music teacher here :) Performer, not a composer. Voice is my main instrument (soprano), but I also play piano some and I am self-taught/noodle around on instruments like Baritone Ukulele, recorder, tinwhistle.

What you guys think about the musics from the LOTR Musical? There's some really good tracks that I can imagine taking place in some events.
It's a pity that I can't help with proper music... I just know how to play spoons, and the only place that I imagine something near, is playing "The Cat And The Moon" drunk on the Green Dragon :p

I know I'd personally enjoy a few collaborators on my project...but that's for another place and time. But if I may, I've have put my digital album up for free on silmarillionsymphony.bandcamp.com and would very much like if the good people of this forum head over to download it. A few commentaries on the music are linked in a post above from a few weeks ago.

Greetings. My background: I have a degree in music ministry doubling in voice and piano with an emphasis in voice. Most of my experience is in vocal performance, but I am a decent pianist and I love music theory and arranging. I've composed some works for piano and strings, and have done some choral arranging, but have only toyed around with orchestration, though I've always wanted to do more. I look forward to hearing the works you guys come up with, and possibly doing some collaboration.
(Granted I currently work full time and am in nursing school in the evenings, so there's not much time for composition ;p)

Turin -- I love the music of the LOTR musical! It's so sad that it didn't last. There wasn't even a video recording of the entire musical was there? I've got the audio CD and have seen snippets of video, but that's it. That said, it has some gorgeous music!

I know I'd personally enjoy a few collaborators on my project...but that's for another place and time. But if I may, I've have put my digital album up for free on silmarillionsymphony.bandcamp.com and would very much like if the good people of this forum head over to download it. A few commentaries on the music are linked in a post above from a few weeks ago.
Good work, Aaron. It's always a pleasure to hear music inspired by Tolkien's works, so I appreciate you sharing. The Union of the Two Kindreds is beautiful.

Good work, Aaron. It's always a pleasure to hear music inspired by Tolkien's works, so I appreciate you sharing. The Union of the Two Kindreds is beautiful.
Elliot, thank you very much! Always wonderful to hear good feedback and compliments. Thank you again!

I have a tin flute in D and can play the intro to 'Concerning Hobbits' on it. I can also (sorta) play 'Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold' (but in the wrong key). I would be willing to obtain a tin flute (or wooden flute) in other keys and learn to play tunes on them, should that be relevant to this project in any way.

Back