Ring-Induced Rationalization

During last week's class (#109 if memory serves), we had a spirited argument about whether Frodo's reluctance to reveal the nature of his quest was due to the influence of the Ring or due to simple caution.

I think there are two factors we ought to consider if we're trying to analyze which of those possibilities are more likely: 1) how the narrator describes other instances when we can be confident the Ring is attempting to influence Frodo and 2) other instances when Frodo hesitates to discuss his quest.

For the first factor, I'm going to ignore any instances of Ring-influence after the arrival at Rivendell. The Ring gains a steadily stronger hold over Frodo as he holds it longer and as it comes closer to Mordor, so later examples might not be representative. As far as I can recall, these are the other times Frodo seems to fall under the sway of the Ring:
A) He hesitates to throw it into the fire at Bag End. The text says, "The gold looked very fair and pure, and Frodo thought how rich and beautiful was its color, how perfect was its roundness."
B) He nearly puts the Ring on while hiding from the black rider in the Shire. The text: "Frodo hesitated for a second: curiosity or some other feeling was struggling with his desire to hide." And then later: "A sudden unreasoning fear of discovery laid hold of Frodo, and he thought of the Ring...He felt that he had only to slip it on, and then he would be safe."
C) He puts the Ring on and tries to wander out of Tom Bombadil's house. The text: "Something prompted him to make sure. He was perhaps a trifle annoyed with Tom for seeming to make so light of what even Gandalf though so perilously important.
D) In the dell below Weathertop. The text, in part: "something seemed to be compelling him to disregard all warnings, and he longed to yield."

We seem to have two different patterns of ring influence. Examples A and C look like rationalization, exactly the sort of thing that we worried about in class. Examples B and D however, look like an external force simply beating against Frodo's will. This pattern will become much more dominant as the Ring grows in strength. The common factor that seems to distinguish the two is the proximity of black riders. Somehow their presence seems to enhance the Ring's influence on Frodo.

For the second factor, we know of two other times when Frodo hesitates to reveal the nature of his quest. The first is when he's confronted by the conspirators at Crickhollow; the second is when he hesitates to discuss anything important with Strider. In the first case, Frodo fears for his friends' safety, and he only opens up to them when it becomes clear that they already know a great deal about the quest. In the second, he simply distrusts Strider, because Frodo does not wish to risk revealing the quest to a spy. In both of these instances, the reader is invited to infer that Frodo's caution stems at least partially from Gandalf's charge in chapter 2: "I don't think you need to go alone not if you know anyone that you can trust...and that you would be willing to take into unknown perils...Be careful what you say, even to your closest friends. The enemy has many spies and many ways of hearing."

Gandalf's caution and secretiveness seem to carry themselves even into Rivendell. Gloín even remarks to Frodo that Gandalf and Elrond seem reluctant to discuss Frodo's errand. It's therefore entirely rational for Frodo to maintain that reticence, though that does not rule out a rationalization.

Based only on how the Ring influenced Frodo in the absence of the black riders, a ring-induced rationalization can't be ruled out. Frodo's reluctance to speak to Gloín doesn't follow either the Crickhollow or the Strider pattern, so the only thing he'd have to fall back on is Gloín's statement and Gandalf's warning. I started out as a skeptic about the rationalization argument, but the evidence supports that view more than I'd first thought.

I worry that we fall into the trap of seeing RIR everywhere, even when there's little to no actual evidence…"something prompted Frodo to have another mushroom…the Ring did it!" o_O

How 'conscious' and how 'instrumental' is the Ring really?

My biggest question about the Ring's consciousness comes from what the Ring does, (or more, what it does not do) on Weathertop.

If the Ring has volition and a mind of it's own, then wouldn't we expect its primary purpose, and over-riding compulsion to be:

"Rule them! Find them! Bring them! Bind them!" Those were the instructions voiced at the forging of the Ring, and engraved within it.

So, when Frodo puts the Ring on, on Weathertop, we might expect a 'conscious' Ring to think: "Here are five of them, right in front of me. No need to find them. Or bring them. They are already bound. But not ruled. Be ruled! Obey! Obey!"

No evidence that the Ring tried anything of the sort. So, was the Ring doing anything of it's own volition on Weathertop? The urge to put the Ring on could have come to Frodo from the wraiths, rather than from the Ring.

Or, did the Ring start hammering out "Obey! obey!" towards the wraiths? Without any command from Frodo that could be obeyed, the effect might only have been to panic the Witch King to 'spring' forward (when his more usual mode would have been to 'loom' forward, or even 'stride' forward) before Frodo could say something like, "Go back!", which, if re-enforced by the power of the ruling Ring, might have made things more difficult for the Witch King?

So, did the Ring do nothing on Weathertop? Or was it an invisible actor, hastening the Witch King's blow, contributing to it missing its mark, and illustrating that, "oft evil will shall evil mar"?

During class, I very much agreed with you NotACat. I started writing this post with the assumption that I was going to articulate an argument that we'd gone too far in the "Ring causes all events, ever" direction. Instead, I ended up arguing myself into the position that I took.

I don't think we need to postulate full consciousness for the Ring, Flammifer, to propose that it might still have some limited agency. We could assume that it has some connection to the thoughts of its bearer—which I think ought to be uncontroversial—so that it could perceive and respond to Frodo's intention to destroy it or his annoyance at Bombadil. It might be entirely rational for the Ring to respond to Frodo's fear on Weathertop and say, "Wear me!" without necessarily needing to be fully aware of external circumstances. That might then explain why the Ring's response was not to exert influence over the Nazgûl present.

The thing that surprised me most—perhaps because I simply hadn't thought deeply enough about it before—was that the strength of the Ring's voice seems to grow dramatically when one of the Nine is around.

The observation that the Ring (or the temptation, or compulsion to put on the Ring) is greater when one of the Nine is around, might be more to do with the Nine than with the Ring. We are told that they can 'sense' the Ring. So, when they do, they might exert their power to try to compel the bearer to put on the Ring so they can locate him.

However, once Frodo does put on the Ring, in the presence of the Nine, I would expect the Ring's Prime Directive to kick in, and 'Rule them' should become the Ring's primary focus. (If the Ring is sentient.)

Now, we know (later in the book, not yet), that Frodo might have problems ruling the Nine, even when wielding the Ring of Power, because he has not practiced, nor bent his mind towards domination. Still, if the Ring was following it's created intent, it should be trying to help him do that anyway, and, even if Frodo was not the optimal wielder, the effect should be powerful to some extent.

So, the actions of the Ring on Weathertop are puzzling.

Either the Ring did not act. Or, the Ring did act, and it's influence was an invisible component in preventing the Witch King from achieving his full objectives in that attack.

I really cannot believe that, if the Ring is sentient, it would not prioritize the commands embedded within it in runes of fire, and attempt to, "Rule them. Find them. Bring them. Bind them." ahead of all other considerations.

Back