S02E08:The Trial of Melkor

I am having a very difficult time applying anything remotely like science or engineering to this episode. Part of me is stuck on...how would we even present this?

Bear with me here...

Let's say the project in question is a hot spring. Hot springs are considered healthy places you can go to relax and rejuvenate/destress. It would be a positive thing, and of course we suspect the elves hanging out in Valinor are just treating this as a resort town for them - of course it fits. So, sure, to show his good will, Melkor makes a spa for the gods. Why not?

Many hot springs contain high sulfate levels. Copper sulfate, when applied to a pond with the intention of killing off algae, can kill the fish, too. So, someone could point out how this would be harmful to fish, and Tulkas would rush off before someone pointed out that the hot water already is a fish-free environment.

It fits the structure we decided on, and Tulkas breaking a dam in this case could even contaminate a stream with copper sulfate, actually endangering the fish he was trying to protect. It fits.

Except...how on earth are we supposed to say, 'copper sulfate' in the script?! We...we can't. We really, really can't. We can show it (it's a very pretty blue powder when ground up, and produces a distinctive green flame in a flame test.) So....we could specify it, and have people in the script refer to it as...what? That blue powder that's good at killing bacteria and algae? I suppose we could call it 'bluestone' or 'vitriol of copper', which are actual names for it that don't sound COMPLETELY out of place. But still....

Some basic info on how you turn chunks of ore into copper sulfate:
https://www.copper.org/resources/properties/compounds/copper_sulfate01.html

Also, I suppose we could have Melkor poison/ruin the hot springs so that they have a foul smell while he is attacking the Trees.

Eh, we can do this. But I am having some sort of existential crisis over applying my engineering knowledge to evil plans AND inserting a science project into Valinor at the same time. My brain is very much rebelling in horror over this.

Alternative good-guy Melkor project - the hanging gardens of Valmar.

Valmar is a city on a plain/plateau. It very well could have streams or lakes nearby to it, but certainly not a swift-flowing...anything. Presumably, there is a well/spring/fountain somewhere in the city as the primary source of drinking water.

But this water would still need to be carried to individual homes, and be a bit of a precious resource.

What if...Melkor invented an aqueduct system that ran from building to building so that they could have rooftop gardens and running water in the buildings?

If so, he would need a pump (but it's okay to make it the old fashioned screw-pump, not a more modern centrifugal style pump with an impeller). So, the 'metal and gears' part would be very Melkor, but the overall resulting water system could be made of wood or stone. The power source for turning the screw is also up in the air - we could have him invent a windmill.

Tulkas would have lots of potential targets to smash (maybe he thinks the pump is ruining/poisoning the well?), and Melkor can easily smash it when he goes through Valmar to get to the Trees.

I think this would be simple enough, but we'd want to show Melkor 'fixing' it at the end of the episode, which might be tricky...maybe we see it working before Tulkas arrives, it gets wrecked, and then we see it patched/fixed in a later episode with a scene in Valmar?

The only difficulty with option 2 is the lack of the dangerous component, revealed by Aulë and Fëanor, aside from which, it seems the more desirable alternative.

In the first, the weak part is the explanation of how the dangerous component is being used for good, but I suppose Aulë could come puffing up and explain, too late to prevent Tulkas' action.

Nick, don't you know the best reason to go tilting at windmills?

They might be giants!

tilting-at-windmills.png

TheyMightBeGiants_TheSpine-1.jpg

Nick, don't you know the best reason to go tilting at windmills?

They might be giants!

tilting-at-windmills.png

TheyMightBeGiants_TheSpine-1.jpg

You know, I should have seen the reference to one of my favorite fictional characters in there.

My parents actually had a huge print of the first picture there hung on their bedroom wall when I was little.

If we can find a way to have that and the Tulkas/Aulë/Fëanor scene, I'm one- hundred percent onboard.

Carbon steel rusts in water. If Melkor's screw pump is made of carbon steel, Fëanor could make a disparaging remark about how it won't last long and just wind up getting rust in the water. Tulkas could leap to 'he's poisoning the well of Valmar!' conclusions, before Aulë is able to explain that the carbon steel doesn't come in contact with the water (the actual screw is made of wood or something, and the steel is just for the mechanism that keeps it turning).

I refuse to let Melkor invent stainless steel for this project!

The windmill makes his entire project reliant on Manwë, which symbolically shows his subservience to the rightful king of Arda. *cough*

Jumping in here entirely out of context (it's showing up in New Posts so I'm reading it lol), but if you need stainless steel, what if Melkor steals/borrows the idea for stainless steel from Feanor's father-in-law? If you don't, disregard.

No, we don't need stainless steel. There is no reason for there to be any stainless steel in Valinor. The Noldor don't need shiny chrome rims on their....have we even invented chariots/wagons yet?

I do think wagons are nearly a necessity of developing urban populations (Central and South American exceptions aside), but chariots are a bit too far. They require a certain level of warfare history to get to. In fact, the developments that lead to cavalry are even more distant.

If you have sufficient donkey population for pack animals, you probably don't need wagons.

Elves ride horses without saddles, so....

Edo Japan (1600-1868) is also an interesting exception to the 'urban populations have wheeled vehicles' as they were mostly outlawed.
http://web-japan.org/tokyo/know/trans/tra.html

Last edited:
They should have sleds and travois instead. They certainly knew wheels and in the early Mythology the Valar had Chariots, but Tolkien remarked somewhere that Elves disliked wheels, so they shouldn't have coaches, carriages, carts, wains, chariots or anything wheeled.And of course they should not have saddles as Mithluin stated correctly and all the movies and Toys did wrong so far. Morgoth totally should have that stuff of course.

Last edited:
I've got it - the hotsprings are one of Melkor's projects during the time-skip. So, we don't see him make them, but they come up in his conversation with Nienna, and Tulkas is very distrustful of them. Tulkas attacking the windmill will be the climax, and it will stop the screw pump turning, which will stop the water flowing.

I've got it - the hotsprings are one of Melkor's projects during the time-skip. So, we don't see him make them, but they come up in his conversation with Nienna, and Tulkas is very distrustful of them. Tulkas attacking the windmill will be the climax, and it will stop the screw pump turning, which will stop the water flowing.

The question then becomes, what does Aulë say that makes Tulkas suspicious?

Carbon steel rusts in water. If Melkor's screw pump is made of carbon steel, Fëanor could make a disparaging remark about how it won't last long and just wind up getting rust in the water. Tulkas could leap to 'he's poisoning the well of Valmar!' conclusions, before Aulë is able to explain that the carbon steel doesn't come in contact with the water (the actual screw is made of wood or something, and the steel is just for the mechanism that keeps it turning).

The materials Aulë had to provide for the pump were steel. Tulkas might recall that Melkor used steel while making the Lamps, and be concerned about that...

Updated Outline for S2Ep08: The Trial of Melkor

Protagonist: Melkor
Conflict: Melkor tries to win back the trust of the Valar after his disastrous battle with them last season. Ulmo and Tulkas are having none of this.

Teaser: Melkor, imprisoned in the Halls of Mandos, is shown alone in darkness. Flashbacks are shown to his trial at the ruined Utumno at the end of the War, where Manwë condemned him to be imprisoned for 3 Ages until his 'probation hearing'. We see or hear some indication that the time is up, as Melkor is released.

Act 1
1. Melkor is brought to his Trial from Mandos to the Máhanaxar, the Ring of Doom, with all of the Valar seated on their thrones outside the West Gate of Valmar. No elves are present there, though some may have seen the prisoner in transport. Melkor, still in chains, observes the light of the Trees. He is told not to get used to it, as he will soon be returned to his cell in the Halls of Mandos.

2. The Trial begins. Melkor's crimes are read out (by Eonwë?), and the viewer is given flashbacks to the first season as a refresher (and excuse for some action sequences!) Melkor must answer for each of the crimes. For the destruction of the Lamps, he admits that he had the power to prevent that, and he failed to do so (he still blames the balrogs, if anyone asks). For the War, he might admit to the destruction, but still maintains the Valar started it. For the attack on the Children, he *does* admit to his anger getting the best of him, and being wrong.

3. Seeing actual remorse from him, Nienna pleads his case. Mandos says nothing (even when prompted). Manwë grants him temporary pardon, limiting his movement to Valmar, and placing him under the constant watch of Eonwë. A link of the chain that bound him is left on his person (wrist? ankle?) to indicate and enforce this restriction.

Act 2
4. Frame: Arwen and her brothers go on a short journey beyond the bounds of Lothlorien. She is surprised her brothers are so willing to spend so much time in 'mortal lands' which are so changeful and different from Rivendell and Lothlorien. They meet a group of (human) Woodsmen.
The Princes of the Noldor are being formally presented to Ingwë the High King in his court on the slopes of Taniquetal. Fëanor makes it very clear that he is not happy to be here. Afterwards, Nerdanel has a private conversation with him, exasperatedly asking him why he even bothered to come if he was going to be this way. He informs her that he was not about to let the sons of Fingolfin and Finarfin be presented as princes of the Noldor and overlook their boys. Fingolfin and his wife Anairë, meanwhile, are also discussing Fëanor's behavior. Anairë asks why her husband doesn't confront him when Fëanor is so shockingly rude to everyone (this is your mother's house!) And Fingolfin informs her that it's better just to appease him; he's always been this way. They are standing on a terrace looking out over the plain, and Fingolfin notices that the Valar have gathered at the Ring of Doom.

5. News begins to spread through the settlement of the Vanyar that something is going on, but no one knows anything about it, even Ingwë. The elves go into Valmar to find out what is going on. Then, Melkor is brought to a central point and 'introduced' to the elves by a proclamation stating the terms of his probation, but not much is said of his crimes. Ulmo is standing there looking disapproving.

6. Meanwhile, the grandsons of Finwë are exploring Ingwë's palace and having boyish adventures. Fingon leaves his toddler brother behind and runs off to have fun with his cousins. The Sons of Fëanor [well, Maedhros, Maglor and Celegorm] all decide to do something (go into a dark tunnel? enter an 'off limits' area?) and Fingon hangs back, not wanting to. Maedhros mockingly calls him 'Fingon the Valiant.'

7. Melkor is talking to random elves, including Fingolfin. If we overhear the conversation at all, it's only about the structure of Valmar or something innocuous. The Vanyar seem a bit hesitant to talk with Melkor. They are polite only. Tulkas is clearly unhappy with recent developments, and tells Eonwë that he won't let him get away with anything. Eonwë responds with something along the lines of, uh, why do you think I'm here?

Act 3
8. Ulmo and Irmo discuss the situation concerning Melkor. Ulmo expresses his grave doubts about how everything is going to turn out terribly. Irmo says that even if things do go as badly as Ulmo fears, there are still things they can do about it - not all hope will be lost. Ulmo complains about Melkor messing with water, which is his own domain.

9. Celegorm climbs down into an abandoned well to rescue a trapped animal that was crying. Unfortunately, he slips and falls and is unable to climb back up himself. He calls for his brothers to help him. When they see him down there, Maedhros runs off to get an adult and/or some rope. Maglor keeps talking to Celegorm, to make sure he's okay, but doesn't know what else to do. Fingon decides to climb down into the well himself to help Celegorm get out. Maglor doesn't stop him, and with Fingon's help, both Celegorm and the critter are rescued. When Maedhros returns, he thanks him for saving his little brother, and calls him Fingon the Valiant again - this time not as a joke. It is clear that they will be headed back to Tirion soon.

10. Tulkas plays detective, trying to figure out what Melkor's intentions are. Nessa teases him for his single-mindedness and (perhaps) somewhat bumbling approach. Melkor seems busy with a civic works project, that will bring water from a fountain in Valmar to all the buildings via a rooftop Aqueduct system.

11. Frame: Arwen enters the village of the Woodsmen and meets a family who has lost their baby to a mysterious creature.
{Timejump} Nienna asks Melkor about how his probation is going. He expresses that he feels he is doing too little to make up for all the damage he caused, but is hopeful his next project will be a small start in the right direction. She encourages him, reminding him that rebuilding trust is difficult and takes time. She notes the lovely rooftop gardens that Valmar now has thanks to his earlier efforts.

Act 4
12. Fëanor is at the workshop of Aulë (Amon Mara: The Mount of Everything Good and Useful), and showing Aulë how his new palantíri work. Demonstration of 2-way communication with one in Fëanor's home or Finwë's palace? Aulë is encouraging, but not unduly impressed/flattering. Fëanor explains that he intends to give some of these to the Teleri, so they can see their kin back in Middle Earth, but the primary reason he made them was for his father. Tulkas stops by and asks what was so important that Melkor needed to get from there? Aulë rattles off a list of materials he supplied to Melkor for his latest project. Fëanor startles at one of the ingredients (bluestone), suggesting that it's poisonous. Alarmed, Tulkas leaves the shop at a run.

13. Climax 1: Tulkas arrives at the site of Melkor's project, which appears to be a hot spring. Tulkas goes about destroying it while accusing Melkor of trying to hurt the elves. Everyone is shocked by Tulkas' behavior. Aulë shows up to explain while, yes, that item *can* be dangerous, it's also useful for other purposes....such as...hotsprings. Since Tulkas destroyed the natural dam, the hot springs drain hot water into the streams around Valmar until they can be repaired. Ulmo seems quite put out by Tulkas' actions.

14: Climax 2: Manwë praises Melkor for fulfilling the terms of his probation and gives him freedom to travel within Valinor. He very courteously acknowledges the good that Melkor has done and expresses hope for the future. The chain link comes off.

Tag:
Ulmo seeks out Nienna, asking her how she can stand by and support this travesty? She explains why it is important to give people chances, even when they don't deserve it. He dismissively writes off her viewpoint, saying we can't all be that way.
Frame: Arwen reacts to the dangers (and sorrows) of Middle Earth outside the protected and unchanging land of Lothlorien.

Frame: Arwen and her brothers venture outside of Lothlorien. Perhaps it is a hunting party? Whatever, they're there for 'fun'. But they come across some human Woodsmen from the Vales of Anduin who warn them of a monster in the woods. The elves visit the human settlement and Arwen meets a family who lost their baby to a creature that climbed in the window and stole it from a cradle. Elladan and Elrohir join in hunting for the creature, but no sight of him is made*.

*The creature is Gollum, but no one on screen knows that.

Good luck fitting that into this episode....

Last edited:
Back