S03E01 Script Discussion

Just wondering, what is the point of having "Meanwhile, in Angband"? We don't write "Meanwhile, in Tirion" so why Angband?
Also it's only in this episode, even though the others mention Angband too.

You're right, it's not necessary. I have to imagine that, at the time, we were thinking 'don't forget about returning to the Angband storyline!' but now that we've put locations on all of the scenes, it should be fine to just say 'Angband.' I'll edit the google doc.

No... it's not at Formenos. It's somewhere outside Tirion, but we don't know an exact location. It is a short walk from Tirion, though.

The quarry is the location where Nerdanel and Fëanor met in Season 2. I don't think we specified where it was then (simply 'outside Tirion') and now they are both there from the Gardens of Lorien. So, it's still 'not in Tirion' but not really in any particular place.

I expect this has already been covered, since I’m writing 3 years after the fact, but in listening to the discussion of the frame (Season 3-2), Corey says that Estel is the only one to be fostered in Rivendell. In fact, in Appendix A it says that all the Chieftans of the Dunadain were fostered in Rivendell. Don’t want to be “that person”, but it is relevant to the way the discussion was heading. Perhaps when I get to Season 3-3, 16 people will have already pointed that out!

I expect this has already been covered, since I’m writing 3 years after the fact, but in listening to the discussion of the frame (Season 3-2), Corey says that Estel is the only one to be fostered in Rivendell. In fact, in Appendix A it says that all the Chieftans of the Dunadain were fostered in Rivendell. Don’t want to be “that person”, but it is relevant to the way the discussion was heading. Perhaps when I get to Season 3-3, 16 people will have already pointed that out!
What's the question?

The text is that the Chieftains of the Dunedain (like Aragorn and Arathorn before him) were fostered by Elrond in Rivendell. Technically, Hamilcar is not a Chieftain.

Estel is the only one *currently* being fostered there. We've said in S01 that the line of chieftains had been there.

Corey keeps saying that Estel is the only one to have been fostered there, and the notion that the Dunadain thought the last Heir of Isildur was dead seems really odd to me. I’m not sure what it contributes to the story arc (though I’m still in the middle of that frame discussion, so more may be revealed!). The Rangers seem to me to be a pretty closed-mouth bunch; I can’t see them giving away the location of the last heir to anyone.

Corey keeps saying that Estel is the only one to have been fostered there, and the notion that the Dunadain thought the last Heir of Isildur was dead seems really odd to me. I’m not sure what it contributes to the story arc (though I’m still in the middle of that frame discussion, so more may be revealed!). The Rangers seem to me to be a pretty closed-mouth bunch; I can’t see them giving away the location of the last heir to anyone.
Well, Halbarad and Hamilcar seem to be Rangers, are they not?

I don't remember the specifics of the conversation, I can only speak to what ultimately went down. You're right; Estel isn't the only one ever to have been fostered in Imladhris.

In the final version of our adaptation, most of the Dunedain probably do know that Estel is alive and in Imladhris, but there is no benefit to saying that aloud and telling people who don't already know.

The only person we know for certain doesn't know in this frame is Hamilcar. He was too young to be aware of what happened to Arathorn, and thus he was never told about Estel. No reason to reveal that information to any more people than already know.

I don't remember the specifics of the conversation, I can only speak to what ultimately went down. You're right; Estel isn't the only one ever to have been fostered in Imladhris.

In the final version of our adaptation, most of the Dunedain probably do know that Estel is alive and in Imladhris, but there is no benefit to saying that aloud and telling people who don't already know.

The only person we know for certain doesn't know in this frame is Hamilcar. He was too young to be aware of what happened to Arathorn, and thus he was never told about Estel. No reason to reveal that information to any more people than already know.

Oh, good! That is exactly where I hoped it wound up; something known among the “grown-ups”, not discussed, and not shared with the younger ones until they were “of age”, whatever that meant to their culture at that time. Knowing that you’ve kept the line of Isildur unbroken seems to be such an important piece to keep them going as the Dunedain of the North. “From the ashes a fire shall be woken.”

It’s fun to be communicating with some of the folks I’ve been hearing from/about in the podcast sessions in real time!

Back