S03E07 Script Discussion

I don't understand. If the script discussion won't happen until Saturday the 13th, why is there already a link to a recording of it? It has already been finished? How does that work?

You can link to a video that doesn't exist yet? Okay...

Thank goodness that finding and reading the Season 3 script outlines didn't take nearly as long as I feared it would. (I hope my comments, especially about Episode 4, can be considered.) Getting caught up on the podcasts and Season 2 on the other hand...

I'm not even going to try to catch up watching all of your 5-hour script videos. Sorry about that. I will start to try to participate.

Last edited:
Ok im on my phone on Safari. I clucked play and nothing happened. I hae the app. What do I do?

I turned on Hangouts. How do i enter the conversation?

Ok, sometimes that happens with people using an app. If you send me a google account name, I can send you a direct invite. Send it over PM though.

My notes from this session:

Teaser

Rumor about werewolf. A ranger comes to camp, saying that some villagers claim to have seen the leader of the wolves, much larger than a normal wolf. They say they heard a foul voice on the air. Rangers begin to suggest it could be a werewolf of the old times. Halbarad wants to send Hamilcar home, saying that he must watch over his younger siblings. This makes Estel smile until Elrohir says the same of him.

Act 1

1. Wolves running from Brithombar in flames. Galdor on his ship with a small fleet of ships runs into Brithombar refugees, they all start back towards Eglarest.

2. Finarfin v Feanor v Fingolfin scene. Fingolfin is angry about Kinslaying. Feanor: You still think you are king of the Noldor. Finarfin saying it doesn’t matter who is king of the Noldor, we messed up. We are leading our people to destruction. We must face the justice of the Valar.

3. (Plot Point) Fingolfin goes outside to the deck of the ship. Jumps on the rail, gives a speech decrying the Kinslaying, breaks his sword on a pulley, crying that he will never draw a blade against his kin again. Finarfin thinks Fingolfin is going to turn back, says so to Finrod.

4 (Plot Point) Cirdan at Eglarest: Beleg and Celeborn show up with a few rangers and a too small shipment of weapons. Illustrate their different ways of thinking. Beleg points out that they don’t have enough ships. Cirdan explains that Galdor has a fairly large part of the fleet out at sea.

Act 2

5. Finarfin family meeting. Finarfin explains he wants to bring the Noldor back, Galadriel and her brothers seem reluctant to do so, but the conflict is not resolved. Finarfin reminds Finrod of his fiance.

6. Vampires threaten the ships that are racing towards Eglarest. The elves manage to shoot down one or two and drive the rest off.

7 Meeting to discuss how to go forward. There is “no way North” and they can’t all fit on the ships. They discuss methods of communication at sea involving lamps. Feanor makes a point to “involve Fingolfin” in the decision, somewhat mockingly, even though it is obvious that nothing short of armed conflict will change the possession of the ships. Finarfin gives Fingolfin pointed looks throughout to no avail. Curufin picks up on something odd about this plan and makes suspicious eye contact with Feanor.

Act III

8 Finrod and Galadriel have a heart to heart. Galadriel: Turning back is cowardly. Finrod: You agree with Feanor? Galadriel: No. He shouldn’t rule our people, though. Would you be content to live in Valinor for all eternity, and build no place of your own?

9. Amrod and Amras, Amrod brings up how Nerdanel used to be able to help father calm down. He’s been very odd. He is always angry. They bring a new perspective to Nerdanel and Feanor’s relationship. Amras says he can't think about Nerdanel, as they will never see them again. Amrod takes him to his ship, and reveals that he has found a palantir aboard and is keeping it secret.

10. Finarfin makes a final play for Fingolfin’s soul. Tries to convince him Feanor is mad. He’s dangerous to our people. We can’t afford the blood his leadership will cost.

11. Doom of Mandos is pronounced.

Act IV

12 Assault on havens. Beleg organizes resistance while Cirdan organizes evacuation. Wolves push the rear guard all the way back to the pier where the remaining people are trapped unable to board the ships which are filled to capacity. Wolves are suddenly slain by arrow fire from Galdor's arriving fleet. The survivors board his ships and escape.

Once the fleet has pulled to a safe distance from the slavering wolves, Cirdan gives the order to fire the town, to the surprise of Beleg.

13 Argument on the shores of Aman. Feanor’s retort to Mandos. Sons of Feanor: To Middle Earth! Finarfin lays out his case for returning to face justice. Turgon insists that Fingolfin take kingship, stay or go. Finarfin looks to Finrod, Finrod will not go. He will be Finarfin to their people, Finarfin will be the Noldor to the Valar. Fingolfin, in the end, will not betray his word, will not return to Valinor with the blood of his kin on his hands. Finarfin’s small cadre leaves.

14 Cirdan heads north with Galdor and Celeborn, while Beleg goes with the bulk of the Falathrim south so that he can bring word to Thingol.

15 Feanorians leave, and their departure is discovered.

Tag 1

Boldog is berated by Thuringwethil for sitting on his hands at his shiny new orc base. She gives him a general direction to find the Green Elves and heads off to meet Sauron. Boldog kills the nearest orc in a fit of rage for no other reason.

Tag 2.

Estel and twins conversation about Doom of Mandos and bad consequences. Estel points out that those consequences are responsible for the twins’ existence. Estel and Hamilcar meet up by night on the edge of camp, both with packs. Awkward silence. I still don’t like you, but if they’re going to send us home like children, I’d rather take my chances out there.

Last edited:
Also, I was thinking about why Feanor would need to leave in secret, because as the outline is now, he doesn't. If during the council where Feanor is mocking Fingolfin, Fingolfin insists that one of his sons (with retinue) travel aboard the ships as well, that would give Feanor a reason. If that same person is standing beside Fingolfin as Finarfin is departing in the distance, and as they come back into the camp, they get word that the ships are gone... That can work.

The 'understood' plan should be a ferry service.

They need the ships to cross the ocean, but there are too few ships/too many elves to cross all at once. No one wants to be left behind, though, so no one is in agreement on who the 'first wave' should be. Fingolfin trying to get some of his people into that first batch makes perfect sense; as would Fëanor's utter rejection of that plan. This also accounts for why the shipburning is such a surprise to everyone who is not Fëanor (or Curufin, apparently) - sneaking away was just supposed to get all of their people across first, not necessarily abandon the other Host.

A few edits: in #3, it should read "Fingolfin," not Fëanor. And #12 is unfinished. I know these are just rough notes.

Great!

Act IV

12 Assault on havens. Beleg organizes resistance while Cirdan organizes evacuation. Wolves push the rear guard all the way back to the pier where the remaining people are trapped unable to board the ships which are filled to capacity.

13 Argument on the shores of Aman. Feanor’s retort to Mandos. Sons of Feanor: To Middle Earth! Finarfin lays out his case for returning to face justice. Turgon insists that Fingolfin take kingship, stay or go. Finarfin looks to Finrod, Finrod will not go. He will be Finarfin to their people, Finarfin will be the Noldor to the Valar. Fingolfin, in the end, will not betray his word, will not return to Valinor with the blood of his kin on his hands. Finarfin’s small cadre leaves.

14 Cirdan heads north with Galdor, sends Beleg with the bulk of his people South so that Beleg can bring word to Thingol.
Missing is the part where Galdor returns/arrives at Eglarest, and the remaining Falathrim get onto the ships with Beleg.

...And it has been requested that we have Celeborn come with Beleg to the Havens, so we should add him there.

Well, when we make decisions on our own that they haven't discussed yet, it makes sense that they'd be subject to review. I didn't have a really good idea of what Celeborn should be doing the rest of this Season anyway, so I'm glad there's a plan. Now we just need to make sure he and Círdan get up to something interesting!

Well, when we make decisions on our own that they haven't discussed yet, it makes sense that they'd be subject to review. I didn't have a really good idea of what Celeborn should be doing the rest of this Season anyway, so I'm glad there's a plan. Now we just need to make sure he and Círdan get up to something interesting!

Right. Personally, I didn't foresee this depiction of the battle. I would have given Thingol's army some screen time instead of giving Thingol's only heroic battle moment to the Ents who were not even mentioned there in the text. I mean, we can work with it, and I'll probably try to sneak in at least a few shots of Thingol fighting and being awesome.

I think we can definitely find a way to have Cirdan and Celeborn following the trail of the Feanorians up the Firth.

No, they are. We just see the battle from the perspective of the Green elf army and Thingol's army is the last to arrive. ..so, very little of him in this battle.

So the Doriath army won't be part of rescuing Denethor at all?

I was being a bit extreme, mostly because I was sour. (A slight case of "That's not how I wanted to do it!") :)

A Twitter conversation I had with the hosts confirmed that we can indeed have scenes of Thingol's army relieving the Green Elves.

Back