S04E01 Script Discussion

Nicholas Palazzo

Ok.... So ... this will be interesting. Want to see if next weekend is possible for a discussion. I could do tomorrow night, but I don't want to pressure anyone else to change plans/not participate because of a short notice meeting. That said, if folks are keen to get going, I'm game.

I am available tomorrow night, and possibly next week as well.

Does 7:30 PM still work for you? I can do earlier if you like (though later sounds like a terrible idea).

Okay, to clarify schedule:
I would like to have Episode 1 and 2 Script Discussions before May 3rd. I would like the Episode 2 Script Discussion to be after April 19th. And I want no script discussion at all on April 20th (because April 21st is Easter). So, I'm hoping that everyone is available on April 27th for Episode 2 Script Discussion, and I'm fine with either April 6th or April 13th for Episode 1 Script Discussion (with a preference for April 6th if that's possible).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm anxious to get going as well. I just know that getting folks to give up a Saturday night on a day's notice is a big ask.

It is indeed! Luckily, I'm still recovering from my adventures last weekend, and have no real plans beyond...I should really clean (which I can do today and tomorrow afternoon, hopefully).

It is indeed! Luckily, I'm still recovering from my adventures last weekend, and have no real plans beyond...I should really clean (which I can do today and tomorrow afternoon, hopefully).

Ok, I'm going to pencil it in for tomorrow night, unless someone really wants to attend, cannot do so this weekend, but can next weekend.

I won't be available at all on April 20th, May 4th, or May 18th.

The 6th is very short notice for me. Have we really had a full thread dedicated to the episode yet? I'm not sure I have gotten caught up on the forum Episode discussions... and I need to do laundry this weekend. I guess I can try to come tomorrow night, I don't have any plans, but I am leaning towards preferring the 13th.

On the other hand, if you need to do it without me, then that's just the way it is. Nick is the person we can't proceed without.

Is 7:30 pm the time we were starting last year? What time zone? I seem to remember starting at 6 PM Central, last season.

We have had all the threads we are going to have for Episode 1, though of course people are welcome to add to them.

Eastern Time Zone; start time is whenever Nick is free. If it's 7 PM, I can do that.

I think part of my difficulty is that the threads about this season are not contained in one thread per episode. Instead, there are something like half a dozen different threads, plus the threads for each episode, and I just can't keep track of the conversations or remember where anything is written down to refer back to it. I used to reread the Episode Questions thread before the Script Session. I don't even know which threads to re-read this time, and there are too many to re-read anyway.

So part of me feels like I need more time to re-read the threads... and part of me has no idea where to start, is overwhelmed and confused, and wants to go watch TV instead.

Yes, but there are at least half a dozen other Overarching threads that involve this episode. And the thread you linked to doesn't discuss most of what happens in Episode 1 -- we haven't gotten around to discussing the meeting between Sindar and Noldor at all, or had any ideas how to convey the language barrier.

We haven't discussed at all whether Galadriel is going to Doriath before or after Fingon rescues Maedhros, or whether a messenger will be sent to Doriath, or whether there'll be scouts sent out...

Or if we have I don't know where those discussions are and can't remember them.

Honestly, I think that this season has gone a bit overboard as far as discussion goes. We just aren't going to be able to incorporate or consider every idea that was put forward. I think that most folks will understand that. Plus, anything that needs to be tweaked can always be tweaked afterwards. If the issue is assimilating all of that information, I wouldn't go crazy over it.

My question is if it is a scheduling conflict, or the tremendous amount of information that has been generated? Because the latter is only going to get worse. If it is a scheduling conflict, that is understandable and there are things we can do a out that.

It's mostly the overwhelming information and my confusion about all the back-and-forth changes. I don't have any specific schedule conflict.

I'll plan to be there today.
What time could we start, Eastern? 7 or 7:30?

Last edited:
Galadriel will not be going to Doriath until Episode2.

We have discussed some of those other topics, though I agree not decisively.

We can likely use Balin and Gandalf dropping in on Bilbo for the frame for episode 1 for now, and then change it later if they make decisions affecting it.

As for Fingolfin, we may want to have him learn the news of Fëanor's death before we have him reforge Ringil, but not necessarily. It depends what significance we are giving that action.

Back