S+T Leaving Angband
Everyone Arrives in Vinyamar
Fingolfin & Turgon
Dedication Ceremony

Act II
Thuringwethil and Sauron Failing to Create Suspicions
Luthien talks Daeron out of being suspicious of the Noldor

Act III
Sauron and Thuringwethil pushes a confrontation between Daeron & Maglor over who is the bestest musician.
Luthien unifies dueling instrumentals between the two musicians.

Act IV
Sauron settles down in a hidden vantage point to play an instrument. As he plays, and starts to sing, the tensions in the room start to rise. Finrod is sensitive. Maedhros has flashbacks. Maglor reacts to Maedhros’ state.

Luthien begins to sing and dance, turning Sauron’s music into something harmonious. Daeron and later Maglor join in.

Celeborn and Galadriel

Act I
Arrival at Vinyamar. Galadriel is excited to see her relatives again, greeted by Aredhel.

Act II
Galadriel’s brothers start probing her for answers about why she has abandoned her goals.

Act III
Galadriel and Celeborn dance. The contest of musicians is a bit loud, so they go outside for an evening stroll. They pass by elves cliff diving, and Galadriel avoids it, the sounds and cheers bringing up bad memories.

Act IV
As they overlook the haven, Galadriel is saddened, reminded of the Kinslaying. She reveals this to Celeborn, stating that she asks no oath of secrecy from him.

Celeborn, while initially horrified, promises to keep her confidence. No one would be helped by revealing it. He is more concerned with her. If she cannot forgive herself, she will also be destroyed.

Teaser
The three kings greet each other formally, exchange gifts. Dain is suspiciously diplomatic. Bilbo approaches Celeborn’s Sister. He greets her hobbitly and explains that he heard that she was at the Mereth Aderthad, coaxes her for the story. When she

Act I

S+T Leaving Angband

Everyone Arrives in Vinyamar. Arrival at Vinyamar. Galadriel is excited to see her relatives again, greeted by Aredhel.

Fingolfin & Turgon

Dedication Ceremony

Act II
Galadriel’s brothers start probing her for answers about why she has abandoned her goals. Edhellos tells her that it would be good to have her at Dorthonion. It would be easier to keep the secret that way, also. Thuringwethil overhears Edhellos, leading to her being singled out later.

Sauron speaks to Daeron (who has just come off playing a set) disguised as a Noldo. Noldo!Sauron is a bit condescending towards Daeron and his musical talent/fame. He then begins to pump Daeron for information about the sorceress who protects Doriath. Daeron is offended by this and storms off.

Celeborn is reunited with his sister. Though happy to see her, he seems distracted. She notices that he keeps turning concerned eyes towards Galadriel’s uncomfortable reunion.

Luthien talks Daeron out of being suspicious of the Noldor. Daeron brings up how insulting Noldo!Sauron was to himself and more especially to Melian. Luthien reminds him that Melian isn’t endangered by the words of a rude stranger. Also

Act III
Sauron and Thuringwethil pushes a confrontation between Daeron & Maglor over who is the bestest musician.

Luthien unifies dueling instrumentals between the two musicians by dancing along with both of them. Orodreth and Meril are dancing in the background, apparently enjoying each other’s company.

Galadriel and Celeborn dance. The contest of musicians becomes a bit loud, so they go outside for an evening stroll. They pass by elves cliff diving, and Galadriel avoids it, the sounds and cheers bringing up bad memories. Celeborn tells the story of losing his family to the Hunter

Sauron and Thuringwethil where Thuringwethil expresses her confusion as to why the Sindar seem almost actively resistant to suspicions about the Noldor. Sauron explains that it is not within their worldview to perceive evil in their kindred.

Act IV
Maglor and Daeron finish their “duel”, but there is still some animosity there.

As they overlook the haven, Galadriel is saddened, reminded of the Kinslaying. She reveals this to Celeborn, stating that she asks no oath of secrecy from him.

Sauron settles down in a hidden vantage point to play an instrument. As he plays, and starts to sing, the tensions in the room start to rise. Finrod is sensitive. Maedhros has flashbacks to his capture. Maglor and Finrod react to Maedhros’ state.

Luthien begins to sing and dance, turning Sauron’s music into something harmonious. Daeron and later Maglor join in.

Celeborn, while initially horrified, promises to keep her confidence. No one would be helped by revealing it. He is more concerned with her. If she cannot forgive herself, she will also be destroyed.

Finrod, having been disturbed by Sauron's music, finds the place where Sauron was playing. Sauron is not there, but has left his instrument.

Noldo!Thuringwethil has a brief conversation with Cirdan who is observing the Feanorian contingent as they leave the hall. She says to beware the dour sons of Feanor, for they are not to be trusted. He asks her what she means, but she will not answer him and departs quickly when pressed.

Tag

Bilbo and Celeborn’s Sister: Bilbo asks if she thinks there is any hope for this gathering, since the Mereth Aderthad “worked out”. She initially says no, but upon being pressed by Bilbo, she is forced to admit that it is possible.

Last edited:
A misreading of this line on my part led me to a fun idea: "turning Sauron's music into something humourous". What if her pushback against dreary Sauron is to make everyone laugh? Some sort of proto-Tra-la-la-lally?

I like this, actually. One of the ways Tolkien dispels evil in the LoTR or the Hobbit is through laughter.

Now, I'm not by any means suggesting that we do something exactly like the following, but in a very general way, I can imagine Sauron setting up these dour, angry verses, only to be continually interrupted by Luthien doing Shaaaaving Cream and then a jovial chorus.

It would be neat if what Luthien turns Sauron's song into could actually be one of Tolkien's humorous poems. Maybe she could interrupt him with one of the poems from The Adventures of Tom Bombadil or the chorus of "Goblin Feet."

Sauron: *menacing evil chanting*

Luthien:
O! the lights! O! the gleams! O! the little twinkly sounds!
O! the rustle of their noiseless little robes!
O! the echo of their feet - of their happy little feet!
O! the swinging lamps in the starlit globes.

Lúthien as the precursor to the tra-la-la-lally elves is perfect, as is overcoming evil intent with laughter and mirth. I very much approve of this development, and I want all the elves to join her in a rousing chorus of whatever silly thing she comes up with!

We can't use 'The Silly Song' from Snow White, because Tolkien hated that film with a passion, but something at that level of silliness is fine with me. Using Tolkien's own silly poetry would be perfect, of course!

Shaving cream, only with screamo/emo verses and Goblin Feet chorus. And dancing. Easy-peasey hahahahahaha

This is an example of what I originally was thinking. This is no longer the tone we are ultimately going for, but it shows someone taking a threatening, unsettling piece (El Degüello) and making it into something different.

An inspiration for hijacking a performance is here in this cartoon:

Mickey is leading his orchestra through the William Tell overture, and Donald keeps pulling them in to Turkey in the Straw. It's one of my favourite cartoons of all time.

The edits look good. Perhaps Sauron's instrument at the Mereth Aderthad could be something he makes there by altering or corrupting an elvish instrument rather than something he brings with him. That would explain why he leaves it, and we wouldn't have to show him carrying an instrument while flying away from Angband in bat form with Thuringwethil.

I have started to ponder this musical commission. There is one word in Goblin Feet that does not fit. Leprechauns. Can someone suggest a suitable alternative?

Some other possible lines would be "and the rustle of the ferns," "from the bushes and the thorns," "and my heart, how it now burns," and "down the pathway's twisted turns."

Back