S04E06 Script Discussion

And notes, 1 of 2:

Storylines:
Plot A: Cirdan Investigates
Plot B: Sauron Investigates

Frame:
Reading an ancient secret

Teaser

Dain asks Gandalf if he has any luck decoding the ancient document Dain had given him. Gandalf says he has not finished, but should have an answer soon. Bilbo is very interested. Gandalf invites him to help, mostly to shut him up. The two of them get up to the top of an observatory tower. Bilbo cannot read the document and asks Gandalf what he knows so far. Gandalf tells him that the secret is not what he can see, but that there are moon letters. Yes, like the map. Gandalf reveals that the letters can only be read on Durin’s Day. Bilbo presses for more info and Gandalf says there is something special about this Durin’s Day that has not happened for an age. Bilbo points out that this is very lucky.

Act I
On the docks at Nevrast, some of Turgon’s craftspeople are boarding a ship to Eglarest to teach their craft to the Sindar. Thuringwethil, disguised as a Noldo is among them. She introduces herself to one of them as being one of Angrod’s people. Cirdan notices her coming aboard.

Orodreth and Meril are getting married in Minas Tirith. Noldor and Sindar seem to be getting along. We focus on Angrod and Edhellos, who are the parents of the groom. They have a pleasant interaction with Meril’s parents after the ceremony is completed.

Thuringwethil is standing by herself on the deck of the ship looking out at the sea and Cirdan approaches her. As they exchange pleasantries, she asks questions like how long it will be until they reach Eglarest. He is polite but suggests that he wants to speak with her in more detail about the sons of Feanor. He says that he senses more than grief behind her words.

Angrod and Edhellos are travelling towards Dorthonion, talking about the future and how the Noldor might be able to have a life here in Exile. Fingolfin has been pressuring us to be more defensive, but we cannot forget that life goes on. A disturbance at the front of the column pulls Angrod away, but an attack of giant cats hits the column throwing the Noldor into disarray. With her companions overwhelmed, Edhellos flees into the trees. After a brief chase, she finds herself at bay, when Angrod comes running to her aid, slaying some of the cats. Despite his best efforts, though, they are captured. Tevildo is personally involved, toying with his prey before finalizing the capture.

Act II
Thuringwethil is seated near the end of a table where crew and passengers are sharing a meal. Cirdan sits across from her and once again engages her in conversation. Cirdan asks her about why she is travelling alone and she “reveals” that her husband died on the Helcaraxe. He expresses sympathy for this, but their conversation to ask further about the Feanorians and if her husband’s death has to do with her anger towards them. She says that she cannot tell him here, looks furtively over at the other Noldor. Cirdan agrees and rises, offering a hand to her to lead her above decks.

Edhellos and Angrod are captives, held in a tower jutting out of Thangorodrim. Things seem bleak, but at least they are together (tied together with the sun shining), at least they have a view. Angrod is trying to find a way out, testing bars/locks/etc. Tevildo comes to the cell, flanked by fallen elves who open the cell and drag Angrod out. Edhellos demands to know where he is being taken. Angrod shouts back to her that it will all be well; the sun still shines. In response to her yelling, Tevildo turns back and looks at her, yawns and stalks off.

Dwarves are cautiously walking through a forest when they find themselves suddenly surrounded by Noldor. Caranthir rides up, demands to know their business in his lands. Telchar steps forward and diplomatically says that as far as they knew, this was the highway of the Azaghal, king of Belegost. She asks whom he serves. Caranthir proudly asserts that he serves no one save his Oath, but holds his brother Maedhros in Himring lord. She points out that she knows nothing of his oath, nor whom his lord is, to which Caranthir replies that he knows nothing of her king either. He doesn’t know if he is an agent of Morgoth, for I have sworn to oppose of his servants. Telchar replies that neither she, nor the king of Belegost serves Morgoth, but she has no assurances that Elves who who accost her in the forest can say the same. Caranthir answers that no elf would serve Morgoth, is my word not good enough? Telchar asks is hers? Caranthir laughs.

Night has fallen over Angband and Edhellos is alone in her cell. She invokes Varda in prayer. She prays for hope and strength. And she asks that her husband will be safe. As she concludes her prayer, clouds spread across the starlit sky, and it goes dark.

Hit the 10000 char limit. 2 of 2

Act III

Cirdan and Thuringwethil are above deck on Cirdan’s ship under starlight. She warns him that the sons of Feanor guard this secret jealously. Cirdan assures her that he owes no fealty to them, and that they will not hear that he learned anything from her. Feanor was fey, and forced his sons to swear a terrible oath. Cirdan asks if it was to avenge his father. She laughs bitterly and says that it was truly about his jewels which Morgoth won from him. Cirdan points out that whatever their reason, they are set against Morgoth, as are we all. What she has told him explains nothing about why she is personally aggrieved. She acts like she hasn’t the heart to tell the secret to the master shipwright. When Cirdan presses her, she reveals that the Feanorians burned the ships behind them in to spite the other Noldor. It was this that forced them to cross the Helcaraxe where so many perished.

Caranthir and Telchar are having a firelit conversation over cups. Caranthir asks Telchar how she learned the language of the Sindar. She says that he isn’t the first elf she’s met. He jokingly asks if that is why she might think an Elf could serve Morgoth. When she doesn’t immediately laugh or deny it, he gets curious and asks. She tells him of a Dark Elf she once knew. (She relays the tale of Eol up until this point without naming him).

Angrod is returned to Edhellos’ cell. He is battered, bruised, and groggy with deep scratches on his back. She comforts him and tends his wounds as well as she can. He still seems hopeful, which encourages Edhellos.

Act IV
Montage of Angrod being removed from and returned to the cell in progressive states of injury and despondency.

Thuringwethil is summoned to the captain’s cabin (Cirdan’s). He greets her cordially and invites her to sit. Offers her food and drink, then says he has some questions that came to him in the night. Thuringwethil is visibly uncomfortable. It might not be an act. He realizes now that the Feanorians are truly capable of horrors if they could burn the ships of the Teleri. He asks her if any of the Teleri sailed with them and if so, what happened to them. She assures him that the Feanorians came by themselves. This satisfies Cirdan for a moment, but then he realizes that Olwe would never give his ships to someone that might treat them so wastefully. How did they come by the ships? She cannot answer this question, so she falls silent. Since she won’t answer him, he has to assume that they took the ships by force, as Morgoth took the Silmarils. Since the Teleri would not just allow that, some violence must have occurred. He seem settled on the idea that the Feanorians are capable of betrayal and violence against their kin. Then he realizes out loud that the other Noldor knew about this, and said nothing despite their own grievances against the Feanorians. Why? They must be complicit in what happened. Even now, you won’t give me an answer? You who sit aboard my ship at my table. He condemns her in strong terms.

Angrod is returned to the cell in Angband with a broken limb, unable to walk. He seems to have finally been broken. When Edhellos tries to comfort him, he insists that they deserve this. For their rebellion and for all they’ve done on the road from Valinor. Edhellos resists this notion, insisting that they and the rest of Finarfin’s folk had nothing to do with the slaying of the Teleri at Aqualonde. None of us were even there. After this, Angrod gets to his feet. Opens the locked door and shuts behind him. He turns to her and thanks her and walks down the stairs out of sight. And suddenly transforms in SAURON!!!! Edhellos is left bereft of hope on the floor of her cell as the sunlight starts to dim. She looks through the window to see an eclipse has begun.

Cirdan is still asking Thuringwethil why she will not answer him. She tells that if she reveals this secret, the other Noldor will know. They’ll see it in her heart. She won’t be safe. Cirdan has mercy and tells her to remain here until they arrive in Eglarest. He will take her to Thingol to tell her tale in full, and she will be safe there. She is still hesitant (maybe not an act) but thanks him. Cirdan is then called on deck because of the eclipse.

The eclipse is now total. We see Edhellos in complete (movie) darkness, weeping. We see Caranthir and Telchar under the eclipse. Telchar cannot look directly at it. We return to the ship and see a porthole open and a bat!Thuringwethil climbing out to fly away under the darkness.

Thuringwethil and Sauron meet up to compare notes.

The ship pulls into port and Cirdan goes back to his cabin to find it empty with the porthole open.

Teaser

Gandalf and Bilbo are in the tower and the moon letters are revealed under a partial eclipse. Gandalf is able to read the text and discovers that it is the specifications for dragon-proof doors. Bilbo mentions that Dain will excited about that, but Gandalf seems troubled. Bilbo asks why, what does it say. Gandalf says that the last time such doors were made was for the elvenking, who paid not their full price. Bilbo says that Dain won’t like that nearly as much. Gandalf says that perhaps it is best he never know. Bilbo is surprised at this until Gandalf says that sometimes the truth can be a weapon of the enemy as surely as any lie. Bilbo sees the wisdom of this and agrees.

Mid-credits teaser

Morgoth stands atop a mighty pyramidish thing (aliens did it) under the eclipse. The Silmarils are the only light shining over a crowd of groveling humans (hard to tell what they are because of the darkness).

Here is my script for this episode. Please let me know what you think.

I made Thuringwethil's code name Gwilwileth. It's not quite "Thuringwethil" spelled backwards, but it sounds kind of similar. It also means butterfly in Sindarin, which I thought was an ironic name for a vampire.

I thought Turgon would send one of his captains to lead the Noldor that go with Cirdan, but Glorfindel or Ecthelion would be more suspicious of Gwilwileth, so I chose to introduce Salgant.

I also changed the final scene a little, making it a montage of reaction shots to the eclipse so I could include the Tom Bombadil cameo.

Attachments

• S4E6Script.pdf
    258.5 KB · Views: 14
Nice. Only bit of stray dialogue that doesn't fit is that Finrod isn't likely to marry a Sinda of middle earth - he's got a girlfriend back in Valinor.

Nice. Only bit of stray dialogue that doesn't fit is that Finrod isn't likely to marry a Sinda of middle earth - he's got a girlfriend back in Valinor.
I know Finrod has a girlfriend in Valinor, but I don’t think his siblings know that. In the book, Galadriel doesn’t seem to know about Amarie when she asks Finrod why he doesn’t have a wife.

Oooh nice one. Might be confusing for the audience though... "Finrod? Who know with that guy. His relationships are a complete blank to us."

The conversation with Galadriel hasn’t happened yet, so this scene could set up the audience to be on Galadriel’s side, wondering why Finrod hasn’t gotten married yet, when that time comes.

{Caveat: I have not yet read Rhiannon's script for this episode, though I am looking forward to doing so, and am not making any comments on it in this post.}

Ah. I have always interpreted Galadriel's comment as being along the lines of...won't you move on and find happiness here, rather than pining for what can never be? Because while she most likely does know *about* Amarië, she may not know the details of how they parted, and regardless, considers a Vanya in Valinor the very definition of 'unavailable' while they're all Exiled in Middle-earth....

I'm sure we all know someone who has never gotten over/let go of a lost love. Either the other person moved on, or it was unrequited to start with, or there was a tragic death and that just ended the partner's life as well. All such stories are tragic, but it's easy for outsiders to suggest...maybe you should let go? Get on with your life? There's often some pity there, and the thought that it's the person's own stubbornness that is the source of their sorrow (rather than the separation itself). And then there is the darker side, where it turns into an unhealthy obsession or stalking because the person *can't* take no for an answer....but I'm not talking about that.

And, to be fair, when someone finds happiness and gets married, they want all their single friends to find that same happiness and get married too ;). So, no doubt most of Galadriel's comment is rooted in - I found Celeborn, and we're happy, and I want you to find that same joy, too. I don't consider that insensitive or naive, but rather stemming from a generous desire to share one's own good fortune with friends and family. But it might be out of touch with Finrod's reality.

In other words, I don't think it was any secret that Finrod was in love with Amarië and intended to marry her...before the rebellion of the Noldor put an end to that. The only 'surprise' to his siblings would be that he is letting that...matter...in his current decisions. They might be under the impression that, since Amarië did not come with them and Finrod did, that Finrod is currently 'available.' That he just needed a little time to get over his lost love and move on from what could never be. Whereas, for Finrod, he might know that he's never going to see Valinor again, but...Amarië is still the only one for him. [And, eucatastrophically, they do have the chance to be together and get married after his death, suggesting that Finrod was both right and justified to eschew marriage in Middle-earth, not to punish himself, but in hope.]

As for Silm Film - we showed Finrod and Amarië together (though as background characters the audience was unlikely to know) at the feast of reconciliation during the Darkening of Valinor. And we did show a flashback/memory/vision of Finrod's parting with Amarië right about the time he was choosing to move forward to Beleriand while Finarfin was desperately trying to convince him to turn back. So, the audience is definitely aware of Amarië's existence and her meaning for Finrod, but will need to be reminded of that since it was over a season ago now. And Finrod's siblings should not be unaware, either, though they may naturally have their own opinions on what that should mean for Finrod now.

Finrod is a tough character to pin down. He's very Faramir - a noble guy who lives in his head and thinks deeply about things, but who has a very present and active role in events. You've got to find that balance between him as so good and foresighted...and a guy living his life. If you let him, he'll talk your ear off ;)

There's also the 'Elves aren't mortal Men' issue to pin down - I recognize that a sense of destiny that someone is 'the one' for you is rather natural to elves. Pining forever sounds very elvish, whereas getting on with your life sounds very mortal. I don't want to write these characters as humans who happen to live a long time - they are allowed to have thoughts and views that feel very alien to the audience, so long as these views are not alienating.

I guess what I mean by that is...if we give someone a very alien view, we have to do the work to get the audience to see why they feel that way and what it means.

Example from an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer; in Season 5 Ep 16 "The Body", Anya...who has spent a good deal of her life (centuries) being an immortal vengeance demon, but is now herself human, is struggling with the concept of mortality and death. She doesn't know how to react or what to do. Most of her comments throughout the episode (featuring the death of a character due to natural causes, not a monster attack) are insensitive and tactless. That's very in character for her. But...the audience needs to see her struggle and not write her off as heartless. So, towards the end of the episode, while they're getting ready to attend the funeral, she gives this speech:
Now, the advantage here is that everyone else responding to this death is completely human. (Well, okay, slayers and witches and such, but still - human). The show could use their reactions to get the audience to respond to the death in a normal human way, and after that groundwork was laid, *then* explore this alien reaction. We don't have the luxury of non-elven, mortal viewpoints yet. We do have the dwarves, but they're not sitting around talking about mortality with the elves. They're keeping that very much to themselves. So, we do have to be judicious in when and how we show the elves to be alien and very much non-human in their reactions to things like time, death, love, destiny, etc.

{Caveat: I have not yet read Rhiannon's script for this episode, though I am looking forward to doing so, and am not making any comments on it in this post.}

Ah. I have always interpreted Galadriel's comment as being along the lines of...won't you move on and find happiness here, rather than pining for what can never be? Because while she most likely does know *about* Amarië, she may not know the details of how they parted, and regardless, considers a Vanya in Valinor the very definition of 'unavailable' while they're all Exiled in Middle-earth....

I'm sure we all know someone who has never gotten over/let go of a lost love. Either the other person moved on, or it was unrequited to start with, or there was a tragic death and that just ended the partner's life as well. All such stories are tragic, but it's easy for outsiders to suggest...maybe you should let go? Get on with your life? There's often some pity there, and the thought that it's the person's own stubbornness that is the source of their sorrow (rather than the separation itself). And then there is the darker side, where it turns into an unhealthy obsession or stalking because the person *can't* take no for an answer....but I'm not talking about that.

And, to be fair, when someone finds happiness and gets married, they want all their single friends to find that same happiness and get married too ;). So, no doubt most of Galadriel's comment is rooted in - I found Celeborn, and we're happy, and I want you to find that same joy, too. I don't consider that insensitive or naive, but rather stemming from a generous desire to share one's own good fortune with friends and family. But it might be out of touch with Finrod's reality.

In other words, I don't think it was any secret that Finrod was in love with Amarië and intended to marry her...before the rebellion of the Noldor put an end to that. The only 'surprise' to his siblings would be that he is letting that...matter...in his current decisions. They might be under the impression that, since Amarië did not come with them and Finrod did, that Finrod is currently 'available.' That he just needed a little time to get over his lost love and move on from what could never be. Whereas, for Finrod, he might know that he's never going to see Valinor again, but...Amarië is still the only one for him. [And, eucatastrophically, they do have the chance to be together and get married after his death, suggesting that Finrod was both right and justified to eschew marriage in Middle-earth, not to punish himself, but in hope.]

As for Silm Film - we showed Finrod and Amarië together (though as background characters the audience was unlikely to know) at the feast of reconciliation during the Darkening of Valinor. And we did show a flashback/memory/vision of Finrod's parting with Amarië right about the time he was choosing to move forward to Beleriand while Finarfin was desperately trying to convince him to turn back. So, the audience is definitely aware of Amarië's existence and her meaning for Finrod, but will need to be reminded of that since it was over a season ago now. And Finrod's siblings should not be unaware, either, though they may naturally have their own opinions on what that should mean for Finrod now.

Finrod is a tough character to pin down. He's very Faramir - a noble guy who lives in his head and thinks deeply about things, but who has a very present and active role in events. You've got to find that balance between him as so good and foresighted...and a guy living his life. If you let him, he'll talk your ear off ;)

There's also the 'Elves aren't mortal Men' issue to pin down - I recognize that a sense of destiny that someone is 'the one' for you is rather natural to elves. Pining forever sounds very elvish, whereas getting on with your life sounds very mortal. I don't want to write these characters as humans who happen to live a long time - they are allowed to have thoughts and views that feel very alien to the audience, so long as these views are not alienating.

I guess what I mean by that is...if we give someone a very alien view, we have to do the work to get the audience to see why they feel that way and what it means.

Example from an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer; in Season 5 Ep 16 "The Body", Anya...who has spent a good deal of her life (centuries) being an immortal vengeance demon, but is now herself human, is struggling with the concept of mortality and death. She doesn't know how to react or what to do. Most of her comments throughout the episode (featuring the death of a character due to natural causes, not a monster attack) are insensitive and tactless. That's very in character for her. But...the audience needs to see her struggle and not write her off as heartless. So, towards the end of the episode, while they're getting ready to attend the funeral, she gives this speech:
Now, the advantage here is that everyone else responding to this death is completely human. (Well, okay, slayers and witches and such, but still - human). The show could use their reactions to get the audience to respond to the death in a normal human way, and after that groundwork was laid, *then* explore this alien reaction. We don't have the luxury of non-elven, mortal viewpoints yet. We do have the dwarves, but they're not sitting around talking about mortality with the elves. They're keeping that very much to themselves. So, we do have to be judicious in when and how we show the elves to be alien and very much non-human in their reactions to things like time, death, love, destiny, etc.
This would imply that Galadriel is quite naive regarding Elven relationships. Aren’t Elves bonded to a single partner for all their lives?

Aren’t Elves bonded to a single partner for all their lives?

Yes, they only marry once, for the duration of Arda, with the single exception of Finwë, Galadriel's grandfather. His remarriage is, of course, the reason she and Finrod even exist.

Finrod and Amarië were never married. At most, they were engaged, and Amarië broke that off when Finrod left Valinor. Finrod is going to 'get' why Aegnor will never marry after Andreth. That doesn't mean Galadriel will also 'get' it, at least not right now. She will no doubt learn from watching her brothers what this means.

Considering Galadriel herself has never been in the position of having to walk away from someone she loved and was certain she wanted to marry, it's quite possible she wouldn't understand what walking away from Amarië meant to Finrod. He probably seems like a mostly cheerful guy; she probably thought he had gotten past this and was no longer grieving Amarië. (Also, the grief for their mother likely masked any grief he may have had for the loss of Amarië...Galadriel could easily have missed it.)

I think we can show Galadriel doing a 'friendly chiding' of Finrod and being genuinely surprised by his response without portraying her as naive.

I don't pretend to have the wisdom or insight of either of these characters - certainly, they are both well known for reading hearts and understanding people. So, they can do better than me.

But anyway....

Some time ago, I was attending my cousin's wedding. While there, I gently teased my other cousin and his girlfriend, 'When are the two of you going to get married, hmmm?' After all, they'd dated all through college and were adults at this point. He's four years my junior, but he and the girlfriend had always seemed good together as far as I'd seen, and they'd been dating for like 6-7 years at that point. I thought a little friendly teasing was okay on that topic. He responded with something along the lines of 'You first.' (I was single at the time.)

Years later, after his divorce, we had a somewhat candid discussion about his decision to marry that girl. And he talked about how it was an inertia thing, and she wanted to get married, but he was dragging his feet and didn't know why. And at that point, I apologized for my teasing at our other cousin's wedding, since I'd had no intention at the time of putting any pressure on him to overcome real reluctance. The point being - we both remembered that conversation happening, years and several major life events later. What I'd viewed as 'gentle teasing' had certainly joined in with other voices and pressures in his life, and was not nearly as harmless as I'd deemed it at the time. And, I'd completely misjudged how solid their relationship was (as you often do from the outside).

I know Galadriel is insightful and wise. But she's also impulsive and hot-headed and recovering from her own mental breakdown this season, and caught up in her own love story. She has a character arc, and is allowed to let her own healing and joy blind her to her brother's grief at this time. She can learn otherwise later.

Back