S04E08 Script Discussion

Great! One minor detail: the way we have been talking about Dis and Dain, an argument escalating to a shouting match seems unlikely. Rather, it ought to turn into a stone cold fight with needles and backstabbing. Blue heat, not red.

We could try looking at some ideas thrown around awhile back. I made a thread on it.
Here.

Most of that discussion centers around what the results of the SoBD look like, rather than the process itself. I'm thinking there should be some heavy use of oppressive music. Visually though, I'm not sure how abstract the imagery should be.

Most of that discussion centers around what the results of the SoBD look like, rather than the process itself. I'm thinking there should be some heavy use of oppressive music. Visually though, I'm not sure how abstract the imagery should be.
Oppressive music... maybe a low drone that gets faster and louder?
I suggest for the visualization we have Morgoth's eyes looking through the person under the SoBD.

I'm not entirely sure I know what this looks like.
Think of the scene in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix when Voldemort possesses Harry. Voldemort’s eyes are a very pale blue while Harry’s in the film are darker (he has green eyes in the books, but they decided to keep Daniel Radcliffe’s natural eye color.

Last edited:
Think of the scene in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix when Voldemort possesses Harry. Voldemort’s eyes are a very pale blue while Harry’s in the film are darker (he has green eyes in the books, but they decided to keep Daniel Radcliffe’s natural eye color.

So you are thinking of having Edhellos' eyes change color to those of Morgoth while the spell is being enacted?

Hmm... Melkors eyes are describes as " lidless, serpent-like eyes, percing cold and burning like flame at the same time"

I guess the piercing cold burning is an i dication of power, so it would be odd of his victims to show the same sign... rather there should be indication of losing power, süirit and energy , simething that indicates weakness and emptyness... such as darkening of eyes, , eyes losing glint and becoming pale and mist-like or colorless eyes maybe...

I don't think we want to imply possession (in the sense of Morgoth's awareness/spirit being inside his victims). We want their wills to be crushed and have them fearful (not calm) and controlled like puppets.

But again, the question here is what does Morgoth do?

I don't think we want to imply possession (in the sense of Morgoth's awareness/spirit being inside his victims). We want their wills to be crushed and have them fearful (not calm) and controlled like puppets.

But again, the question here is what does Morgoth do?
Grab the face and state continuously in Black Speech that the Elf will be under his thrall, perhaps with a low drone in the orchestra getting higher and faster like the Interrogator Droid in Star Wars?

How about this:
Morgoth grabs her and lifts her off the ground. An eruption of oppressive music is played, we only hear that and Edhellos sounding scared. He pulls her face close to his, and makes her look into his eyes. As she is forced to do this, the camera moves to take her view and we look into Morgoth's lidless eyes, and we are drawn into one of them, like into a black hole. The oppressive music fades/stops and we only hear Edhellos moaning, while the incircling cold flame of the eye is more and more peripheral, until we only see a black Nothing, emptiness like the Void. The moaning turns into a scream, as we cut to Morgoth holding Edhellos, who finishes screaming. He lets her fall to the ground.

How about this:
Morgoth grabs her and lifts her off the ground. An eruption of oppressive music is played, we only hear that and Edhellos sounding scared. He pulls her face close to his, and makes her look into his eyes. As she is forced to do this, the camera moves to take her view and we look into Morgoth's lidless eyes, and we are drawn into one of them, like into a black hole. The oppressive music fades/stops and we only hear Edhellos moaning, while the incircling cold flame of the eye is more and more peripheral, until we only see a black Nothing, emptiness like the Void. The moaning turns into a scream, as we cut to Morgoth holding Edhellos, who finishes screaming. He lets her fall to the ground.

These scenarios would require some changes to the scene, but not necessarily major ones. Currently, Melkor is standing up above the pits where the Elves are kept. I think that we were concerned that having him descend into the pit would look a bit awkward. If anyone has a way to avert this, I'm ok with it.

These scenarios would require some changes to the scene, but not necessarily major ones. Currently, Melkor is standing up above the pits where the Elves are kept. I think that we were concerned that having him descend into the pit would look a bit awkward. If anyone has a way to avert this, I'm ok with it.
Selects one, happens to be Edhellos, and she’s brought up to wherever he is.

Selects one, happens to be Edhellos, and she’s brought up to wherever he is.

Or, rather than her being chosen at random, we leave the part where Sauron selects her as being particularly resistant to him, and tosses her up to land at Morgoth's feet. Does anyone think that makes Sauron too physically powerful? (Hint: I don't.)

Or, rather than her being chosen at random, we leave the part where Sauron selects her as being particularly resistant to him, and tosses her up to land at Morgoth's feet. Does anyone think that makes Sauron too physically powerful? (Hint: I don't.)
I’m ok, I think Sauron should at least be able to lift someone by their throat, which is typically physically impossible to do one-handed in real life. It’s a popular benchmark in fiction to show someone as superhuman. Or use the telekinetic type.

I’m ok, I think Sauron should at least be able to lift someone by their throat, which is typically physically impossible to do one-handed in real life. It’s a popular benchmark in fiction to show someone as superhuman.

To clarify, this isn't just lifting a person. It's tossing them 15'-20' into the air (4.5-5m).

I don't think there's any reason to think that Sauron isn't casually superhumanly strong. I think tossing people around can look tense/scary/alarming, rather than silly...but there are times/ways it looks silly.

If the Spell if Bottomless Dread is about strength of will and Morgoth overpowering Edhellos’ will, do we really want physical strength to play a large role in the scene?

Back