S04E08 Script Discussion

If we’re doing it along the lines I suggest we will indicate that it is Melkor’s inner void or his connection to the Void that breaks her. If Sauron tosses her to Morgoth and he lifts her off the ground, it will of course be physically violent, but it will be of secondary or no importance. If Edhellos continues to struggle while Morgoth handles her, until she breaks, it will be even clearer.

Or, rather than her being chosen at random, we leave the part where Sauron selects her as being particularly resistant to him, and tosses her up to land at Morgoth's feet. Does anyone think that makes Sauron too physically powerful? (Hint: I don't.)
I think that it can be just as scary to pick someone for torture at random, that whatever happens to Edhellos could have happened to any one of the captives, and Edhellos got picked at Sauron or Morgoth’s whim.
If the Spell if Bottomless Dread is about strength of will and Morgoth overpowering Edhellos’ will, do we really want physical strength to play a large role in the scene?
Not really playing a great role in the scene, but it works as intimidation.

My mind keeps turning to the Dark Crystal, and podlings being drained of their essence by the crystal. Not exactly like that (no visible "draining" should result), but something like that reaction.

I think that it can be just as scary to pick someone for torture at random, that whatever happens to Edhellos could have happened to any one of the captives, and Edhellos got picked at Sauron or Morgoth’s whim.

Not really playing a great role in the scene, but it works as intimidation.

Scariness isn't the only thing we are going for. We are demonstrating the consequences of Edhellos' defiance in a way that informs Diriel's decision to submit.

Here is my script for Episode 8. Please let me know what you think and if you have suggestions for improvements.

The characters with their names in brackets are the ones that I would like names for. I don't think any of them are big enough roles to include on the cast list; I just thought it would make more sense in the script if the other characters called them by real names when speaking to or about them.
[Prospector 1] is captured with Diriel, and she saves him from the Spell of Bottomless Dread.
[Noldo Prisoner 1] is a prisoner who introduces himself to Diriel and helps with the escape plan but dies at the end of the episode.
[Dead Body 1], [Dead Body 2], and [Dead Body 3] are just bodies that Celebrimbor finds. I wanted him to refer to them by names to remind the viewers that they were people he knew.

If what Maedhros says in his attempt to convince Celebrimbor and Orodreth not to go to Angband is too silly, I can take it out. I just couldn't resist the chance for him to make that joke.

I only read the outline of the episode where Celebrimbor breaks into the Silmaril vault, so let me know if that flashback should go differently.

I tried to combine several people's ideas for the depiction of the Spell of Bottomless Dread and focus on what Edhellos sees when it is placed on her.

Attachments

• S4E8Script.pdf
    265.1 KB · Views: 16
Here is an updated Episode 8 script. I still need names for Diriel's chief prospector, the Noldo Prisoner she talks to, and the three dead bodies Celebrimbor finds.

Attachments

• S4E8ScriptV2.pdf
    206.4 KB · Views: 8
Back