Sam and the Old Man Willow – #25

Hi Corey,

I just recently found out about this series and enjoyed your classes very much so far, thanks for making this public without a pay-wall! So I'm way behind the actual course but I assume you don't mind if I deliver a thought concerning older sessions, do you?

In Session #25 you've raised the question why Sam was immune to the enchantment of Old Man Willow in contrast to the other hobbits. I've got a theory about this matter which leads back to what we know of Sam's character development so far.
  1. When Sam was caught eavesdropping by Gandalf he stated his motif to join Frodo on his journey: Couldn't you take me to see Elves, sir, when you go? So far his motif is self-centred; he desires to see elves and travelling with his master is only a means to this end. This changes after he actually met elves.
  2. In the morning after they've spent the night with Gildor and his company Sam states: It isn't to see Elves now, nor dragons or mountains, that I want – I don't rightly know what I want: but I have something to do before the end, and it lies ahead, not in the Shire. I must see it through, sir, if you understand me.
    Neither Sam nor Frodo understand this obscure higher purpose at this time, but I think we as readers and observers of the whole story can safely say what it is: Sam's purpose is to save Frodo. We see it all along until their reaching Mount Doom.
  3. Opposed to the others his purpose is no longer bound to his immediate needs, which is the angle on which the enchantment of OMW works and gives it the power to drowse them into sleepiness. I'd even go so far to say that Sam is kind of touched by elven magic which gives him protection against OMW's song. Thus he is able to break the spell, regain his self-awareness and act on his own will.
This explanation seems to have a weakness in Sam's caring about the ponies first instead of aiding Frodo straight away. But considering he just overcame his slumberness it makes sense to him seeing to his duties as a servant first and his master didn't seem to be in immediate danger at the first glance. But after hearing the splash of Frodo's falling into the water he immediately was there to save him.

The same kind of reasoning could apply to Frodo in a bit mitigated form. Yes, taken the burden of guarding and carrying the ring is of course a higher purpose he's committed himself to as well. But at this stage he's still in doubt which would explain that he is almost able to withstand the enchantment, better than the others, but not fully. In my understanding Frodo's full commitment to his task comes only later in the council of Elrond by offering himself to being the ring-bearer until the end. (If someone shows him the way to Mordor. ;) )
On the other hand, Sam's commitment to serve his master to the bitter end has been already confirmed and blessed by the elves in the night with Gildor. He's a step ahead compared to Frodo.

What do you think?

Cheers, Spielkalb

Last edited:
Our discussion is in the other forums "Let's talk about he course". Since I'm new to these forums I've followed the instructions given in the sticky thread here, to open a second thread in those forums.

here

Back