Sauron's Morgoth Moment

But is this the most satisfying byilding block in Sauron's long-term character? If he gets a fairly clean win like this?

What if, instead, Sauron implements his scheme through Maeglin, but then meanwhile whoopsie-daisy Gothmog gets killed independently of his scheme. Sauron wins the rivalry by default, but never gets the satisfaction of a genuine win. It gnaws at him for millennia - could he actually have pulled it off? Would his scheme have worked? Confidence one day, crippling doubt the next. He even goes so far as renaming his chief cowering toady "Gothmog" so that he can shout orders to that name (in my mind he always thus renames whoever is his chief toady - a never ending string of proxy Gothmogs).

This is more satisfying, long term, I reckon.
I like this idea. That, when Sauron sees his great rival fall, at least a part of him is going "damnit, it wasn't supposed to be this way?" For our Sauron, I could see the game being even more fun than the win. If he's cheated in the final inning, he might take it... poorly.

Didn't want to derail the current episode thread, but there was a brief mention (and a second topic) that I though warranted discussion here.

Topic 1: the name Sauron.

He doesn't use it for himself. Hates it.

So how does that work?

Gloating over captured Finrod: "And now you will have a magical song duel with me, Mairon!"

Finrod: "Who? Aren't you Sauron?"

Sauron: Overcome with rage

Do we show him actively supressing rage when his equals or betters use that name where he can't correct them? Do we show him requiring a different name or title from his underlings?

Topic 2: character arc

Have we skipped over anything with Sauron's arc? Has he flipped far enough from his previous "not a bad guy, exactly, more doing bad stuff for what he thinks are good reasons" to where we need him ASAP in full, unashamed, mustache-twirling villain mode?

Yeah... I think that, since he’s been experimenting on elves and have attacked them, he probably views them as objects he can manipulate and hasn’t got any particular empathy for them. And that’s a good base for evil behaviour.

Didn't want to derail the current episode thread, but there was a brief mention (and a second topic) that I though warranted discussion here.

So how does that work?

Gloating over captured Finrod: "And now you will have a magical song duel with me, Mairon!"

Do we show him actively supressing rage when his equals or betters use that name where he can't correct them? Do we show him requiring a different name or title from his underlings?

Have we skipped over anything with Sauron's arc? Has he flipped far enough from his previous "not a bad guy, exactly, more doing bad stuff for what he thinks are good reasons" to where we need him ASAP in full, unashamed, mustache-twirling villain mode?
Maybe he resents the Elves?

And what will he be doing? Something like this?

So how does that work?

Sauron is going to show some genuine repentance at the end of War of Wrath. Sauron after serving under Morgoth so long seems to have a fear of punishment. After his defeat to Luthien, he runs and hides, because he is scared of what Morgoth will do to him. He hides and refuses to return to Valinor due to what Morgoth will do to him.

He can increasingly become cruel and vicious to his enemies, but he could still feel he is doing it for a greater good. His enemies deserve the cruel fates, because they are against the progress of the world. Secondly fear will stop others from opposing him.

I always thought there could be a bit of the mad scientist in Sauron. He is so keen to improve creatures, he performs disgusting abhorrent magical/scientific experiments on them such as the with werewolves (as the host have outlined.)

I think even when forging the Rings of Power, he should not have completely been broken. I think the moment he snaps is when he narrowly escapes with his life in the Battle of Gwathlo. That could be a moment, where his hatred overpowers him and rather than control and better the world, he wants to be God and destroy the Elves/Numenoreans.

Sauron is going to show some genuine repentance at the end of War of Wrath. Sauron after serving under Morgoth so long seems to have a fear of punishment. After his defeat to Luthien, he runs and hides, because he is scared of what Morgoth will do to him. He hides and refuses to return to Valinor due to what Morgoth will do to him.

He can increasingly become cruel and vicious to his enemies, but he could still feel he is doing it for a greater good. His enemies deserve the cruel fates, because they are against the progress of the world. Secondly fear will stop others from opposing him.

I always thought there could be a bit of the mad scientist in Sauron. He is so keen to improve creatures, he performs disgusting abhorrent magical/scientific experiments on them such as the with werewolves (as the host have outlined.)

I think even when forging the Rings of Power, he should not have completely been broken. I think the moment he snaps is when he narrowly escapes with his life in the Battle of Gwathlo. That could be a moment, where his hatred overpowers him and rather than control and better the world, he wants to be God and destroy the Elves/Numenoreans.

Yes, this is more or less the tack we've been taking with Sauron since S01.

Back