"Save us"

Halstein

Hi.
Butterburs' exlamations seems more religious than most of what is found in the LotR. Even if it seems unlikely the Valar are generally known in Bree, what about Eru Iluvatar? It seems strang that there is no religion in a pre-scientific society like Bree.

Even if the Bree-landers, or any other of the good people of Middle-Earth, don't have any councious knowledge of Eru, would a "longing of the soul" for Eru be possible? Not an expert on Christianity, but think I have heard about such a longing of the soul.

I was going to say I wasn't aware of there ever being any indication in LotR of the Valar or any supernatural power being a thing people thought of as "interventionist" by the people of Middle-earth, i.e. you could call on them to take action on your behalf or to affect your own life. That is, until the business with the mûmak and "may the Valar turn him aside".

Even with that line there's still always been a dearth of insight into regular people's relationship with religion or to what extent any of them treat the Valar or Eru or anyone as a "thing". Which is an eye-opening choice in a fantasy world where the gods are literally real (and where Sauron, who is of a class with gods, is undeniably a part of the lives of the Orcs and everyone who has to deal with him as an adversary). Always thought that was a subject in Tolkien that deserved some scrutiny.

Uses of "Bless me" in the LotR

Book 1,
Ch 2 'Lor 'bless me' (Sam)
Ch 10 'now bless me' (Butterbur)
Book 2,
Ch 1 'Bless me' (Bilbo)
Book 6
Ch 1, 2, 4 (2x), 8 'Bless me' (Sam)

In most instances, Sam's utterance is directed at Frodo (i.e. 'Bless me, Mr Frodo.")

Back