Script Discussion S04E09

Here's another possible workaround for the Balrog rule. Aredhel goes with Rhogrin to deliver the message, and, while they are gone, the Balrogs massacre everyone left at Barad Eithel. I don't like this solution nearly as much as the previous one, but the Balrogs do kill a lot more people.

Attachments

• S4E9V4B.pdf
    322.4 KB · Views: 8
Here's another possible workaround for the Balrog rule. Aredhel goes with Rhogrin to deliver the message, and, while they are gone, the Balrogs massacre everyone left at Barad Eithel. I don't like this solution nearly as much as the previous one, but the Balrogs do kill a lot more people.
I don’t know about this. I wouldn’t call it a glorious battle if one of the big population centers on the winning side gets wiped off the map.

I don’t know about this. I wouldn’t call it a glorious battle if one of the big population centers on the winning side gets wiped off the map.
Technically it's not wiped off the map, but you're right that it doesn't fit with what the tone of the episode should be. I just wanted to have another option in case people didn't think Rhogrin's apparent death was enough to make the Balrogs seem terrifying.

In the version of Episode 9 I just posted in the Scripts and Script Outlines thread, I made some changes to the order and events of the scenes, so here's the outline for Acts III and IV updated with what I did.

ACT III

Scene 10. (Sirion) Fingolfin and Finrod meet on the east bank of Sirion. Finrod says he sent a messenger to Doriath (not with much hope). They plan to pursue the routed orcs so Morgoth won’t dare do this again.

Scene 11. (Barad Eithel) Witness second army marching across Ard Galen. Aredhel and Rhogrin can’t abandon their post, but must warn Fingolfin. Aredhel wants to go, but Rhogrin argues that he knows the way. Rhogrin is making his way through the trees on the mountainside of Ered Wethrin. He is attacked by giant cats while attempting to save Annael’s family.

Scene 12. (Pools of Ivrin) Turgon’s dream. Turgon enters the throne room of Vinyamar. It’s deserted and there are leaves blowing through it. {Tuor's viewpoint} He hears Elenwë calling him, “Come home! Come home!” The statue reaches for him. There is a pounding sound in the background throughout. The city is long deserted. There’s a battering ram at the gate. Other members of Turgon’s party also experience dreams.

Scene 13. (Fens of Serech) Second army led by Gothmog attacks Fingolfin’s army. They are pinned down. As the charge begins, Edhellos reveals to Angrod and Aegnor that the Fëanoreans are not coming and that she killed the messenger. Angrod calms Edhellos down and tells Aegnor to take command of the troops. Angrod tries to keep Edhellos back and out of danger.

ACT IV

Scene 14. (Fens of Serech) Massive casualties at Fens of Serech. Finrod brings Fingolfin the news that the Fëanoreans are not coming and it is impossible to get a message through the enemy lines to Aredhel. Fingolfin has also just learned from Ecthelion that Turgon returned to Vinyamar. Gothmog seems intent on killing Fingolfin just like he killed Fëanor.

Scene 15. (Vinyamar) Vinyamar is under siege from an army of orcs. Turgon arrives and prepares to break the siege. He’s confident that he can handle this at first. But...the gates have been broken through, and the garrison he left behind is trying to hold them back from entering the city, but won’t last much longer.

Scene 16. (Fens of Serech) Orodreth is knocked off his horse by a Balrog. Aegnor tries to save him, but he cannot get to him. The Balrog wounds Orodreth, and Angrod and Edhellos try to reach their son.

Scene 17. (Fens of Serech) Fingolfin and Fingon are fighting Gothmog and another Balrog. Things look really bad for them. Suddenly, Celegorm arrives! His cavalry beats back the orc army, forcing them into the swords and spears of Maedhros’ foot soldiers. The Fëanoreans also rescue Orodreth just in time. Angrod is surprised and grateful.

Scene 18. {Intercut with 17} (Vinyamar) Círdan’s ships arrive from the north! Their archers help mow down the orcs at the gate. Silent montage moments of the aftermath of both battles. Turgon and Círdan greet one another after the orcs are dead.

Scene 19. (Angband) The Noldor chase the balrogs and the remnants of their armies back to Angband. Edhellos goes with Angrod and Aegnor so they can keep an eye on her. The Noldor celebrate and boast before the gates. Rhogrin and Annael are revealed as prisoners in Angband, and Sauron, after mentioning to Thuringwethil why Edhellos is no longer of use, goes out and kills her.

TAG: Roac reminds Dain of the Battle of Five Armies and convinces him to return to Dale.

I am assuming that moving Sauron slaying Edhellos to the very end of the episode was meant to achieve the dual purpose of removing the need to explain his presence in the battle as well as preserving her as the point-of-view character throughout the story?

I will have to read over this script in the next day or so and see how it goes :).

Thanks for providing the updated outline to match this script - helps to keep clear which version is which.

I am assuming that moving Sauron slaying Edhellos to the very end of the episode was meant to achieve the dual purpose of removing the need to explain his presence in the battle as well as preserving her as the point-of-view character throughout the story?

I will have to read over this script in the next day or so and see how it goes :).

Thanks for providing the updated outline to match this script - helps to keep clear which version is which.
Yes! Since we couldn't find a way to get Sauron to the battlefield, I had Edhellos go to Angband. Also, I was trying to keep the Balrogs as the main villains in the episode and just have Sauron appear at the end.

Back