Script Discussion S04E13 Finale!

Nicholas Palazzo

So, while searching for more gainful employment, I have been working a temporary position at the ungodly hour of 7AM. This has me up at 5 AM this Saturday morning. I was wondering if we could push up this week's discussion by an hour or so. If not, I'll be fine, I'll just have to make sure I go straight to bed once we are finished.

So, while searching for more gainful employment, I have been working a temporary position at the ungodly hour of 7AM. This has me up at 5 AM this Saturday morning. I was wondering if we could push up this week's discussion by an hour or so. If not, I'll be fine, I'll just have to make sure I go straight to bed once we are finished.
That would be fine with me. I could do even earlier, too, if you need.

My schedule tomorrow is open. Pick the earliest start time you like, and we'll let you go no later than 9 PM.

So, maybe 4 PM?

(I will re-listen to Session 4-24 today to be ready).

My schedule tomorrow is open. Pick the earliest start time you like, and we'll let you go no later than 9 PM.

So, maybe 4 PM?

(I will re-listen to Session 4-24 today to be ready).
I won't even be home by then, and perhaps not even 5 depending on traffic. :) I'll be fine to finish whenever we finish, but an earlier start time will help. We also did a lot of work for this episode last time, so I feel like we'll be alright.

Ok, I'm here, loading up Skype for whenever you kids are ready.

For anyone not already in the Skype call, you should be able to CLICK HERE to join, but if not, let me know and I'll send an invite.

Fingon vs Glaurung

Act 1

Discovery of destroyed outpost

Feanorean joins the party

Act 2

Tracking the dragon

Act 3

Glaurung ambushes and kills the elves

Act 4

Glaurung trapped and chased back to Angband

Galadriel and Celeborn's wedding
Act 1
Plan the wedding - Galadriel and Celeborn decide to have it in Nargothrond

Act 2
Many Noldor are coming, but when the guests from Doriath arrive, it's Lúthien only, not Thingol or Melian. She passes on their regrets to Celeborn and Galadriel.

Act 3

Act 4

Wedding! Thingol arrives by surprise.

Last edited:
Act 1

Teaser: Dragon-proof doors ribbon cutting ceremony. Dain expresses confidence that they'll never be attacked by a dragon.

Peace montage
Dorthonion - Aegnor's garden
Empty Nevrast
Happy Gondolin - bells ringing
Círdan and the havens and Finrod's tower

Galadriel and Celeborn decide to have wedding in Nargothrond so Galadriel’s family can attend.

Fingon and his lieutenant (female elf) discuss how they are running late (Fingofin’s absence) and discuss missing Rhogrin

Discovery of destroyed outpost

Act 2

Contingent arrives from Doriath. Galadriel and Lúthien talk about having Lúthien stand in for Galadriel’s mother during the ceremony. It’s sad that no one is there for Celeborn, but Círdan will stand in for his father. Celeborn talks to his sister about how he is not leaving the Sindar and Galadriel is not leaving the Noldor.

Fingon sends messenger back to Barad Eithel warning of attack. Feanorean joins the party – Celegorm’s suspicions upon arrival. Huan focuses on trail of the worm.

Orodreth and Celebrimbor meet up and renew friendship. They miss their moms. This ‘peace’ doesn’t feel very peaceful to them. Speculate about fate of prisoners in Angband. Orodreth is now in charge of Minas Tirith. Meril is hopeful for the future and trying to be supportive of Orodreth in his grief. Meril suggests to Celebrimbor that she and Orodreth are considering starting a family.

Celegorm and Huan are tracking out front with a couple guys. They are not interacting with Fingon or his dozen soldiers. Fingon thought they were past the mistrust because of the horses gift and the Dagor Aglareb. The lieutenant suggests that maybe they shouldn't care what the Fëanoreans think. Fingon says they have an alliance and they gave their word. She brings up burnt ships and her dead father (Helcaraxë). Fingon says holding onto the past has never helped anyone, and they need to look to the future.

Act 3

Finrod and Galadriel talk about how he will never marry because he will swear an oath and not leave a realm to inherit

Tracking the dragon’s trail. Fingon and Celegorm are talking. Fingon apologizes for not being there at the outpost. Celegorm says he would have just died himself if he'd been there.

Fingolfin and Maedhros discuss the state of Beleriand – Turgon missing and Finrod hiding in Nargothrond. ‘New thing’ coming

They come to the end of the trail. Confusion. Jump scare! Glaurung ambushes and kills the elves. Several elves are burned extra crispy. Fingon and Celegorm retreat to a safe distance and watch Glaurung maul the elves' bodies. They try to intervene to rescue the dying elves, but Huan stops them. The lieutenant runs out to save them, but Glaurung freezes her with a glance. She is killed. Huan tells Celegorm no mere beast.

Act 4

Set up plan - Fingon gathers remaining elves and makes a plan to lure the dragon into a box canyon that they will be able to escape from. No time to get reinforcements!

Galadriel's wedding. Thingol arrives! Stands in as Celeborn's father.

Execution of plan - Fingon and a couple elves ride into the canyon, chased by Glaurung. They reach a dead end, and turn to face the approaching dragon. Celegorm and the remaining elves loose arrows at the dragon from above. Fingon's elves escape through a small passage/chasm. Glaurung breathes fire and crushes rock. Can't escape up the sides - flees out entrance.

Celegorm and Fingon pursue fleeing Glaurung on horseback, harrying him with arrows. Glaurung turns to face them at the open gate of Angband, and smiles.

Peace Montage II
Celeborn and Galadriel in Ossiriand (Ent-wives)
Birth of Finduilas to Orodreth and Meril
Elderly Telchar - forging Dragon-helm (for Azaghal)
Gondolin decorated
Maedhros gives Dragon-helm to Fingon
Thingol's dreams of men disturb him
Finrod goes hunting with Maedhros and Maglor

Tag: Bilbo's farewell to Erebor.

Finrod is wandering in Ossiriand. He leaves them, and comes upon the camp of Men. He picks up a harp...the Men open their eyes as he starts to play.

Last edited:
I just thought about something. What if, in a rare moment of insight, Celegorm realizes that if Fingon gets killed, it is going to make him look bad, and after talking himself into it for a minute, he decides to take his place. It will be one of the last times we depict Celegorm with a positive trait, it will solidify the "reconciliation", and it will give us a chance to have Huan involved in the faceoff.

I just thought about something. What if, in a rare moment of insight, Celegorm realizes that if Fingon gets killed, it is going to make him look bad, and after talking himself into it for a minute, he decides to take his place. It will be one of the last times we depict Celegorm with a positive trait, it will solidify the "reconciliation", and it will give us a chance to have Huan involved in the faceoff.
I could roll with that.

On a meta note, what about Celegorm did Tolkien dislike about him? All the rest of the Feanoreans have sympathetic moments (Maedhros searching for Dior's sons, Maglor raising Elrond and Elros, Caranthir saving Haleth and his interactions with the Easterlings, Curufin must have loved someone or Celebrimbor wouldn't exist (plus he let Eol go), Amrod tried to repent and died, and Amras is out of focus). Celegorm on the other hand doesn't really have any positive moments and was one of the few Elves to try to commit rape.

Last edited:
I could roll with that.

On a meta note, what about Celegorm did Tolkien dislike about him? All the rest of the Feanoreans have sympathetic moments (Maedhros searching for Dior's sons, Maglor raising Elrond and Elros, Caranthir saving Haleth and his interactions with the Easterlings, Curufin must have loved someone or Celebrimbor wouldn't exist (plus he let Eol go), Amrod tired to repent and died, and Amras is out of focus). Celegorm on the other hand doesn't really have any positive moments and was one of the few Elves to try to commit rape.

Huan chose to abide with Celegorm for quite a long time. He must have been a decent person at one time for that to happen.

I like it! The three in the canyon could then be Celegorm, Elrhun, and Huan.

Celegorm could speak the tongue of every beast and bird. Consider that he has the most impressive linguistic skills of any elf ever in a story written by Tolkien, and you'll recognize that Tolkien was making him a very talented and praiseworthy guy. Too proud for his own good, and easily lead by Curufin, and, oh yeah, blinded by the Oath....he has his flaws. But I would not describe him as having no redeeming qualities.

The story of Lúthien is the story of great beauty being met with either selfless love or possessive lust. She is a foil. Every single character in the story has one of those two reactions to her. Daeron, Thingol, Celegorm, and Morgoth all come down on the possessive lust side of the scale (though Daeron at least repents), while Beren and Huan are on the selfless love side. I'm not excusing Celegorm's behavior; I'm putting it in context.

Celegorm could speak the tongue of every beast and bird. Consider that he has the most impressive linguistic skills of any elf ever in a story written by Tolkien, and you'll recognize that Tolkien was making him a very talented and praiseworthy guy. Too proud for his own good, and easily lead by Curufin, and, oh yeah, blinded by the Oath....he has his flaws. But I would not describe him as having no redeeming qualities.
I had Celegorm speaking to a deer in Episode 2. Do we want there to be more instances of him speaking to animals and birds to emphasize this?

The Silmarillion Film Project
Season 4
Episode 13: Enter the Dragon (okay, okay, someone come up with a title, please!)

A-plot: Fingon confronts Glaurung.
B-plot: Galadriel marries Celeborn.

Act I

Teaser: Dragon-proof doors ribbon cutting ceremony. Dain expresses confidence that they'll never be attacked by a dragon.

Scene 1: Peace montage Part I
Dorthonion - Aegnor's garden​
Empty Nevrast​
Happy Gondolin - bells ringing​
Círdan and the havens and Finrod's tower​

Scene 2: (Doriath) Galadriel and Celeborn decide to have wedding in Nargothrond so Galadriel’s family can attend.

Scene 3: (The Plain of Ard Galen) Fingon and his lieutenant (female elf) are on their way to relieve a contingent of Fëanoreans at a outpost that serves as a watchtower near Thangorodrim. They discuss how they are running late (Fingofin’s absence) and discuss missing Rhogrin.

Scene 4: (Watchtower near Thangorodrim) Discovery of destroyed outpost

Act II

Scene 5: (Nargothrond) Contingent arrives from Doriath. Galadriel and Lúthien talk about having Lúthien stand in for Galadriel’s mother during the ceremony (Earwen and Lúthien are first cousins and the same generation). It’s sad that no one is there for Celeborn, but Círdan will stand in for his father. Celeborn talks to his sister about how he is not leaving the Sindar and Galadriel is not leaving the Noldor.

Scene 6: (Watchtower near Thangorodrim) Fingon sends messenger back to Barad Eithel warning of attack. Celegorm arrives to accompany Fëanorean troops back to East Beleriand, only to find the outpost destroyed; he is immediately suspicious of Fingon. Huan focuses on trail of the worm.

Scene 7: (Nargothrond) Orodreth and Celebrimbor meet up and renew their friendship. They miss their moms. This ‘peace’ doesn’t feel very peaceful to them. Speculate about fate of prisoners in Angband. Orodreth is now in charge of Minas Tirith. Meril is hopeful for the future and trying to be supportive of Orodreth in his grief. Meril suggests to Celebrimbor that she and Orodreth are considering starting a family.

Scene 8: (Plains of Ard Galen) Celegorm and Huan are tracking out front with a couple guys. They are not interacting with Fingon or his dozen soldiers. Fingon thought they were past the mistrust because of the gift of horses and the Dagor Aglareb. The lieutenant suggests that maybe they shouldn't care what the Fëanoreans think. Fingon says they have an alliance and they gave their word. She brings up burnt ships and her dead father (Helcaraxë). Fingon says holding onto the past has never helped anyone, and they need to look to the future.

Act III

Scene 9: (Nargothrond) Finrod and Galadriel talk about how he will never marry because he will swear an oath and not leave a realm to inherit

Scene 10: (Ard Galen) Tracking the dragon’s trail. Fingon and Celegorm are talking. Fingon apologizes for not being there at the outpost. Celegorm says he would have just died himself if he'd been there.

Scene 11: (Nargothrond) Fingolfin and Maedhros discuss the state of Beleriand – Turgon missing and Finrod hiding in Nargothrond. ‘New thing’ coming

Scene 12: (Mountains north of Barad Eithel) They come to the end of the trail. Confusion. Jump scare! Glaurung ambushes and kills the elves. Several elves are burned extra crispy. Fingon and Celegorm retreat to a safe distance and watch Glaurung maul the elves' bodies. They try to intervene to rescue the dying elves, but Huan stops them. The lieutenant runs out to save them, but Glaurung freezes her with a glance. She is killed. Huan tells Celegorm this is no mere beast.

Act IV

Scene 13: (Mountains north of Barad Eithel) Set up plan - Fingon gathers remaining elves and makes a plan to lure the dragon into a box canyon that they will be able to escape from. No time to get reinforcements!

Scene 14: (Nargothrond) Galadriel's wedding. Thingol arrives! He stands in as Celeborn's father. Círdan stands aside, proud of them both for getting past their disagreement.

Scene 15: (Mountains north of Barad Eithel) Execution of plan - Fingon and a couple elves prepare to ride into the canyon, but Celegorm volunteers to take his place. Celegorm, Huan, and Elrhun son of Annael enter the canyon, chased by Glaurung. They reach a dead end, and turn to face the approaching dragon. Fingon and the remaining elves loose arrows at the dragon from above. Celegorm and company escape through a small passage/chasm. Glaurung breathes fire and crushes rock. Can't escape up the sides - flees out entrance.

Scene 16: (Plain of Ard Galen) Celegorm and Fingon pursue fleeing Glaurung on horseback, harrying him with arrows. Glaurung turns to face them at the open gate of Angband, and smiles.

Scene 17: Peace Montage II
Celeborn and Galadriel in Ossiriand (Ent-wives)​
Birth of Finduilas to Orodreth and Meril​
Elderly Telchar - forging Dragon-helm (for Azaghal)​
Gondolin decorated​
Maedhros gives Dragon-helm to Fingon​
Thingol's dreams of men disturb him​
Finrod goes hunting with Maedhros and Maglor​

Tag: Bilbo's farewell to Erebor.

Scene 18: (Ossiriand)
Finrod is wandering in Ossiriand alone, and comes upon the camp of Men. He picks up a harp...the Men open their eyes as he starts to play.

Last edited:
Back