Script Discussion S05E01

Nicholas Palazzo

We're back!

The script discussion for the season 5 premiere is scheduled for October 4th @ 8:30 PM EST.

We're still working out the logistics, but keep an eye on this subforum for participation instructions.

Also, whether out not you intend to participate live, feel free to leave any suggestions you want discussed. I cannot guarantee that every idea will make it into the outline, but the more choices we have, the better the outline will be.

EDIT: We have confirmed that we will be using GotoWebinar for the discussion, so feel free to PM one of us if you would like to participate and have not received an invite. If you just want to watch and/or comment on Twitch, that can be done here: SignumU Twitch Channel

Last edited:
That's October 5th @ 0:30 PM UTC right? I'm a bit confused because EST is currently inactive so I assume you mean EDT ^^ Or did I get it wrong?

Well it's at 2:30 on a Monday morning for me, so if I'm able to make it at all I'll have to go to bed extra early on Sunday :D We'll see.

Oh, hmmm, yes, that's a very, very challenging timeslot! I guess the end of Daylight Savings next month will not help. I will say that the discussion will almost definitely last 4 hours, possibly longer, so you are certainly welcome to join in 'in progress' if you manage to wake up early, but not *that* early! The original timeslot for SilmFilm was more European-friendly, but I'm afraid that the current time and the script discussions have not been.

Well as long as it's a good fit for others participating I don't mind =) I'm not the most important person to have in the discussion, and can't 100% commit to being there just yet anyway. But if I'm free Monday morning I'll do my best to be there no matter the time.

Likely won't be available as it's trivia night on Sundays with my parents.

I have my doubts on the Frame; the books (specifically the appendices for The Return of the King) say that the Haradrim were defeated in T.A. 2885, about 66 years before our time frame (T.A. 2951). This suggests they're still in Sauron's pocket at that point.

"Haradrim" is a general term for all the peoples living in Near-Harad and Far-Harad, so I don't think we have to worry about some peoples living there still fighting Gondor :) There might be multiple or even dozens of political entities there that are neutral or even more or less friendly towards Gondor if we need them.

And to be honest, events mentioned merely in a timeline without much narrative significance are things the hosts will sweep aside in a heartbeat if it helps our story. And rightly so, in my opinion ^^

"Haradrim" is a general term for all the peoples living in Near-Harad and Far-Harad, so I don't think we have to worry about some peoples living there still fighting Gondor :) There might be multiple or even dozens of political entities there that are neutral or even more or less friendly towards Gondor.

And to be honest, events mentioned in the Appendices without any narrative significance are things the hosts will sweep aside in a heartbeat if it helps our story. And rightly so, in my opinion ^^
That doesn't seem to be the case in the books or the films; there's no sign of dissension amongst the Haradrim there, so whatever efforts Gandalf makes so the Haradrim won't bat for Sauron's team seem to work like a screen door on a battleship.

Yeah, over half a century and 2-3 generations later during the War of the Ring, Sauron is going to dominate so much of the Haradrim living near Gondor that regional opposition will become too insignificant to mention. But the beginning of the process that got Harad's political landscape to that state is exactly what we want to portray in this frame, right? Maybe Gandalf makes a few people flee from or even fight against Sauron's lackeys, but he won't succeed in stopping the larger trend. There was an extensive discussion about Gandalf's actions and effectiveness on the podcast already, in the Frame episode.

Yeah, over half a century and 2-3 generations later during the War of the Ring, Sauron is going to dominate so much of the Haradrim living near Gondor that regional opposition will become too insignificant to mention. But the beginning of the process that got Harad's political landscape to that state is exactly what we want to portray in this frame, right? Maybe Gandalf makes a few people flee from or even fight against Sauron's lackeys, but he won't succeed in stopping the larger trend. There was an extensive discussion about Gandalf's actions and effectiveness on the podcast already, in the Frame episode.
Well at that point he looks quite incompetent.

As far as I remember the Frame podcast episode, the hosts agreed that his mission won't need be a total failure (In my opinion, saving lives is already a great deed! You can't save everybody) and that it's fine for Gandalf to (mostly) fail sometimes. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I feel like we came to good conclusions there.

We will be discussing the Frame again in a session after we finish the Season Outline. Because there is certainly more to be said about how the Frame story will unfold this season.

It is my intention to focus on the main story during Sunday's script discussion, and then come back to add in the frame after we have that session.

But please recall that the Dagor Bragollach is a disaster for the elves, so Gandalf's overall failure would fit the end of the season. That doesn't mean he has to fail completely. He can win over some minds and hearts.

I do have some thoughts on how to focus the frame into something compact and coherent, but we can definitely get into that later.

We're back!

The script discussion for the season 5 premiere is scheduled for October 4th @ 8:30 PM EST.

We're still working out the logistics, but keep an eye on this subforum for participation instructions.

Also, whether out not you intend to participate live, feel free to leave any suggestions you want discussed. I cannot guarantee that every idea will make it into the outline, but the more choices we have, the better the outline will be.

EDIT: We have confirmed that we will be using GotoWebinar for the discussion, so feel free to PM one of us if you would like to participate and have not received an invite. If you just want to watch and/or comment on Twitch, that can be done here: SignumU Twitch Channel

Added participation info.

Ok since I have to get up at 6.00 AM on Monday morning, beginning a script discussion at 2.30 AM would probably mean you guys would have to mute my epic snoring, so I don’t think it’s going to work out.
I will try to come up with some ideas, though. If you do touch on the frame, I suggest that we show a Mumakil as soon as we can.

Ok since I have to get up at 6.00 AM on Monday morning, beginning a script discussion at 2.30 AM would probably mean you guys would have to mute my epic snoring, so I don’t think it’s going to work out.
I will try to come up with some ideas, though. If you do touch on the frame, I suggest that we show a Mumakil as soon as we can.

I'm actually trying to figure out a way to make the audio available so that people looking for audio SilmFilm-related content have something to listen to between podcast drops.

When we get to the main story of this episode, I suggest starting at the evening before Finrod finds the House of Beor and showing the Men singing songs and telling stories around their fire. It would be a quick way to give the audience a sense of their culture and beliefs. We can show Beor playing his harp and telling a vague story that establishes that Men have been travelling for generations and seeking a light in the west.

When we get to the main story of this episode, I suggest starting at the evening before Finrod finds the House of Beor and showing the Men singing songs and telling stories around their fire. It would be a quick way to give the audience a sense of their culture and beliefs. We can show Beor playing his harp and telling a vague story that establishes that Men have been travelling for generations and seeking a light in the west.

I'd actually say we should go back even further. It would be really great to spend some serious time with pre-contact humans from their own perspective, and get to know Bëor outside of his relationship with Finrod.

I'd actually say we should go back even further. It would be really great to spend some serious time with pre-contact humans from their own perspective, and get to know Bëor outside of his relationship with Finrod.
Brief conversation about what they came from?...

Back