Script Discussion S05E03

Nicholas Palazzo

Here we go again! This episode's script discussion is currently slated to take place at 01NOV2020 @ 8:30 PM Eastern. Keep your eyes peeled for the appropriate links to participate.

The planned A-plot of the episode will revolve around the death of Beor, the B-plot, the romance of Aredhel and Eol, and the C-plot will involve Fingon observing the newcoming Men.

Once again, we're going to have a hard time turning all of this into a story, so ... thoughts?

What are Fingon's thoughts on the newcomers and how will Hador get involved with Fingolfin and Fingon?

1603765659719.png

25 years after Bëor led his people into Beleriand, he lies dying of old age in Nargothrond. He's not going to be doing much in this episode (formally passing the mantle to Adanel, dying), so the focus will be on other characters.

In Episode 2, we showed Finrod getting a little frustrated with Bëor. Bëor didn't want to travel with him anymore, didn't want to get as actively involved in activities, and seemed to be leaving his responsibilities to his young followers. Finrod did not understand the reason for these changes in Bëor...but now the effects of advanced years are going to be difficult for even an elf in denial to misunderstand. What will Finrod's reaction to mortality be? When he realizes that all of his human friends will grow old and die so quickly? Finrod is no stranger to loss - his mother is dead, and his father and his fiance live in Valinor, so he can never see them again. But this is different. Every human friendship will inevitably lead to grief in less than a century. This entire community of humans he's invited to live with him will *all* die.

For our B-plot...Episode 2 ended with Eöl inviting Aredhel into his home in Nan Elmoth. Now, it's 10 years later, and she's still there. What are they doing? What are they talking about? How does she shift from 'I have a mission' to 'let's get married'? Presumably, Eöl is keen to marry her...why? Sure, she's pretty, and sure, he'd love to spite the Noldor by 'stealing' one of their princesses. But...is there anything about her he finds appealing? Or will his charming nature be simply an act? Can we show him as 'mysterious' without giving away to the audience that he's 'abusive'? Should this episode end with their bethrothal?

View attachment 3195

25 years after Bëor led his people into Beleriand, he lies dying of old age in Nargothrond. He's not going to be doing much in this episode (formally passing the mantle to Adanel, dying), so the focus will be on other characters.

In Episode 2, we showed Finrod getting a little frustrated with Bëor. Bëor didn't want to travel with him anymore, didn't want to get as actively involved in activities, and seemed to be leaving his responsibilities to his young followers. Finrod did not understand the reason for these changes in Bëor...but now the effects of advanced years are going to be difficult for even an elf in denial to misunderstand. What will Finrod's reaction to mortality be? When he realizes that all of his human friends will grow old and die so quickly? Finrod is no stranger to loss - his mother is dead, and his father and his fiance live in Valinor, so he can never see them again. But this is different. Every human friendship will inevitably lead to grief in less than a century. This entire community of humans he's invited to live with him will *all* die.

For our B-plot...Episode 2 ended with Eöl inviting Aredhel into his home in Nan Elmoth. Now, it's 10 years later, and she's still there. What are they doing? What are they talking about? How does she shift from 'I have a mission' to 'let's get married'? Presumably, Eöl is keen to marry her...why? Sure, she's pretty, and sure, he'd love to spite the Noldor by 'stealing' one of their princesses. But...is there anything about her he finds appealing? Or will his charming nature be simply an act? Can we show him as 'mysterious' without giving away to the audience that he's 'abusive'? Should this episode end with their bethrothal?

So, for the Aredhel angle, this seems like the appropriate time for us to really dig into her motivations. As to Eol's motivations, he could even be kind of fooling himself. She challenges him and motivates him to be something greater. He thinks this is something he wants, as he morphs into the person Aredhel wants to think he is.

Essentially, it feels good to have someone believe you capable of great things, even if you don't have any real desire to accomplish those things.

For Bëor, could we be telling the story of Finrod's desperate attempts to save his friend, and ultimate acceptance of the inevitable?

So, for the Aredhel angle, this seems like the appropriate time for us to really dig into her motivations. As to Eol's motivations, he could even be kind of fooling himself. She challenges him and motivates him to be something greater. He thinks this is something he wants, as he morphs into the person Aredhel wants to think he is.

Essentially, it feels good to have someone believe you capable of great things, even if you don't have any real desire to accomplish those things.
What sort of greater things would he be motivated into trying to do?

As the C plot, Fingon doesn't need much story, but we should be taking the opportunity to show that men are making a home in East Beleriand.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you guys know I can't attend the session tonight - early this evening, I only managed to sleep for an hour or so before waking up again, and I need to be well-rested in about 8 hours. Sorry :<

Here's the outline we came up with tonight! This is a rather heavy episode about death, despite Bëor's death being the peaceful end to a long life with his family gathered around him and the legacy of his people secured for future generations.

Please, feel free to share any comments or suggestions, either here in the thread or directly on the document. Our goal is to have this in a more-or-less finished state within about a week. Also, a reminder that if anyone would like to write the script for Episode 3, it is important to let us know within that one week time frame!

I was thinking some about this episode today. With Finrod calling in both an Elvish healer and a veterinarian, we have the need for two named characters with moderate amounts of dialogue. It would be easy to just invent characters, but we could also try to use characters who already exist or use this as a chance to introduce characters who will later feature in the story.

For the Elvish healer, I think we could use Orodreth's wife, Meril, who as shown to be a healer last season. She could have been called down to Nargothrond from Minas Tirith in order to treat Beor. For the veterinarian, we could use Gwindor's brother Gelmir, who will be captured during the Dagor Bragollach.

Using Meril and Gelmir as the healer and veterinarian gives us the chance to have other characters related to them appear onscreen. I think this is the perfect chance to show Finduilas again, now more grown-up. She can come to visit Nargothrond with her mother. Now, I have some questions about other characters: Would we like Gil-galad to be born at this point? Should he come to Nargothrond and be present for the death of Beor? What about Gwindor? Would we like to show him and Finduilas meeting and being interested in one another? Do we want to use their relationship in any way as a contrast or parallel to Aredhel and Eol?

I understand that there may be a desire to push the introduction of these characters later in this season or into Season 6, but, given the amount of stuff that is getting pushed back, it might be a good idea to introduce them while we have an episode with the time to do so.

I think that in choosing characters for the healers, it is important to keep in mind the healer/fighter dichotomy. Meril is a healer, not a fighter, so that suggestion is fine (though she's not typically in Nargothrond, it won't be difficult to get her there).

If Gelmir is the veterinarian, then what will he be doing joining the fighting in the Dagor Bragollach? We'd need to come up with a story for that, and since he's such a minor character, there may not be room late in the season to work that all out. It might make more sense to make Gwindor the veterinarian. He would have a motivation to switch to fighting (his brother is captured), and we'll have more screen time with him later.

Also, there are other characters available in Nargothrond, if we choose to introduce them. Inglor, for instance, is meant to be a member of Finrod's court, and one of his companions in his quest with Beren. If Inglor were Finrod's herald, his 'healer' status would not be out of place.

I seriously doubt that introducing Gil-galad in the 'death of Bëor' episode is going to go over well. If we want Meril to name-drop her son, that might be one thing, but I don't think we'll want him on screen here at all.

Oh, Meril is a healer like her husband? Sounds like Finduilas should be leading the troops at Minas Tirith then... :D

Back