Script Discussion S05E05

What happens in Doriath between the refusal to let the people of Haleth pass and the deal that they can stay in Brethil? I think the passing through Nan Dungortheb and the fact that Brethil is outside of the Girdle could be enough but let’s not forget Beleg here. His role is instrumental in tipping Thingol’s mind in favour of a deal, and a step towards his friendship with Turin.

What happens in Doriath between the refusal to let the people of Haleth pass and the deal that they can stay in Brethil? I think the passing through Nan Dungortheb and the fact that Brethil is outside of the Girdle could be enough but let’s not forget Beleg here. His role is instrumental in tipping Thingol’s mind in favour of a deal, and a step towards his friendship with Turin.

Yes. We should definitely have Beleg figuring very strongly in the next episode.

We left off with Beleg and Thingol himself (Long story) on the border of Doriath and Brethil, so we should be able to slide into that story very easily.

Here is the Outline based on last night's script discussion for Episode 5! (Thanks for your patience)

As it turned out, we have three interwoven plotlines, rather than a clearly delineated A-Plot, B-Plot, C-Plot. I would suggest that Thingol is the protagonist, because he is involved in all three plots, and makes some decisions, but it's a bit more muddled than usual.

One element that did not really make a clear emergence in this story was Galadriel's ambition related to the Green Elves. She's acting as ambassador / spokesman for them, but we didn't really do more than set up the backdrop for what she is up to there. Since we are unlikely to see her again this season, that's something to keep in mind for the future.

One element that did not really make a clear emergence in this story was Galadriel's ambition related to the Green Elves. She's acting as ambassador / spokesman for them, but we didn't really do more than set up the backdrop for what she is up to there. Since we are unlikely to see her again this season, that's something to keep in mind for the future.
Maybe more could be done with Galadriel, Celeborn and his sister.

Galadriel could be forming ties to the Silvan Elves among them since the population of Lothlorien under her and Celeborn is primarily Sindarin, Silvan, and perhaps some Green Elves (though some including Galathil remove to Mirkwood under Thranduil). She seems to have put her ambitions regarding the Green Elves on hold until after the founding of Eregion since the population there appears to primarily be Noldor.

Question: how long does it take to travel from Thargelion to the borders of Doriath?

If the question is 'how much time passes between episodes 4 and 5?', the answer is 'roughly 5 years, but we are unlikely to specify that in the episode.'

If the question is 'how much time passes between episodes 4 and 5?', the answer is 'roughly 5 years, but we are unlikely to specify that in the episode.'
What I’m wondering is if that’s too much time for the Haladin to pack up and go on their exodus, if they take 4 or 5 years to travel from Thargelion to Doriath (unless they’ve already gone through Nan Dungortheb, which would make it a bit more understandable for me).

This is an elf-centric episode, and therefore will not be focused on the passage of time. This all takes place some time after the events of Episode 4, and the Haladin do wait for 'a time' by the borders of Doriath for Thingol's response.

This is an elf-centric episode, and therefore will not be focused on the passage of time. This all takes place some time after the events of Episode 4, and the Haladin do wait for 'a time' by the borders of Doriath for Thingol's response.
Ok, I think I understand it better.

A note for @Phillip Menzies:

For the scenes of the Haladin leaving Thargelion and up to Nan Dungortheb (misc. traveling scenes), why not a sort of meandering walking theme reminiscent of The Dune Sea of Tatooine by John Williams or The Rite of Spring by Stravinsky?

At this stage of the game, the Haladin are going somewhere, but they don’t quite know where yet. Am I right in that the Haladin want to leave Thargelion but don’t know where they want to go? After the choice to enter Nan Dungortheb, the music would change in that they have no choice but to go on; this is where @Emily’s determination theme would kick in.

Last edited:
Back