Script Discussion S05E08

Maybe some beautiful woodcarvings - no joke! Or nice mantles of some unknown black animal fur...

Btw. When will we meet the Drúedain? They have been left out so far if i am right, or did they appear somewhere in the background and i do not remember?
I think the idea was that they'd arrive offscreen between the Dagor Bragollach and the Nirnaeth; by the end of Beren and Luthien they'd be around.

We need them before we get to Turin's story, but wanted this season to focus on introducing the Edain. The intent is definitely to include the Druedain in this project, but still a lot to work out, there.

I think Andreth should bring something metal for the Haladin. Elf-made steel would be rather precious in Brethil. I suppose Haleth could gift an Aurochs hide with drinking horns in return.

What do the House of Beor value most? Practically and symbolically. Same question for the Haladin. Cos then if you find the middle ground between those then you can see why the gift would be given and why it would be gladly received. Gives weight to the moment

The thing they seem to like most is songs/wisdom/music... i don't see how the Haladin have much of that.They could gift them a song or poem i guess.

Something to enable them to create music? Or symbolic of it? I’m just trying to picture that moment on the screen

A harp as the gift from Andreth to Haleth? And a bow as the gift from Haleth to Andreth? That would represent the activities of each of their peoples, but also emphasize the overlap rather than the division. The people of Haleth sing, too. The people of Bëor hunt, too.

As it currently stands, the following edits have been made:

Andreth presents a gift to Haleth after the letter of introduction (currently, metal tool heads, but that can be altered).
Haleth recounts the hunt at the feast, so that the dramatic telling shows how the young hunter is honored in their society. Also, he now has a name - Enach (thanks, Haerangil!) As part of this scene, Haleth gives part of the gift of Andreth to this hunter, showing that it is valued.
When Andreth and Haleth have their final conversation, Haleth gives a gift to Andreth. Currently, this gift is an aurochs hide and a pair of drinking horns made from aurochs horns. Again, it can be changed, though as it stands now, there is reference in their conversation to the aurochs hunt, so if the gift had nothing to do with that, it might be awkward.

We now get a glimpse of the funerary practices of the Dwarves. There is a place where the casket of Laurin lies in state, and Azaghâl pays his respects. We thus see the new king Laurin and Azaghâl interact directly. This serves as a new jumping off point for Maeglin's tour of Nogrod, changing the atmosphere to be more somber and less a visit to Disneyland.

Bregolas and the youths of Nargothrond make an additional appearance prior to Andreth's speech calling them to move to Ladros. We see that the youths are packed and ready to execute their plan of stealing horses. They are using the gathering in the square as a distraction, so that no one will miss them. This lets us see them one more time, moving their plan forward, and giving some more urgency and clear sense of choice to Bregolas' "we stand with Andreth!"

Some minor edits to wording to clean up the dialogue throughout, but those three additions are the main changes I've made thus far.

There is a lot of juggling with character introduction and storytelling in this episode. Meaning, a lot of characters are constrained to act in the way that they do for plot reasons, and so I had to find a balance in the storytelling allowing them to act in a way that showed how that character would speak or act, rather than simply letting the plot steamroll them into actions that either seem out of character, or too generic to really explore the character well and get a feel for them. I am not sure I've always found that balance. So, if any character in particular seems to have lost their voice...do let me know.

Back