Script Discussion S05E09

Frame suggestion: Gandalf commits a faux-pas of some sort. Or he offends the queen; the latter is more likely in my view since should be familiar with the Haradrim culture by this point and wouldn’t do something so foolish.

Since the intention is to have the Queen's alignment with Gandalf be part of what turns her people against her, I'd say that having him anger her seems counter-productive.

The theme of the episode is culture clash and misunderstanding, right? Gandalf offending a member of the upper class in Haradrim who supports the cult would fit.

The aim, as established by Prof. Olsen in the last session, is that the spreading of the Cult is a grassroots movement. The upper-class are not supporters, because it means limiting their own power. It's the common folk who start to turn against the Queen and her "foreign" councillor, Incanus.

The aim, as established by Prof. Olsen in the last session, is that the spreading of the Cult is a grassroots movement. The upper-class are not supporters, because it means limiting their own power. It's the common folk who start to turn against the Queen and her "foreign" councillor, Incanus.
Wasn’t there something in the notes about the cult being supported by some members of the upper class?

Wasn’t there something in the notes about the cult being supported by some members of the upper class?

If it's in there, it's a reference to either a past event, or the possibility of outliers from the norm. Could you point me to the context of the statement? I didn't see it there.

If it's in there, it's a reference to either a past event, or the possibility of outliers from the norm. Could you point me to the context of the statement? I didn't see it there.
It was something that @MithLuin had suggested on the Forums, page 2 of 5.25, regarding an oligarchy for the city-state and explaining why the Queen could not move against the Cult; the reason being that some prominent families were involved. If that doesn’t fly I’m out of ideas as to how to portray culture clash and misunderstandings in the Frame, unless we’re trying to make Gandalf look like an idiot.

It was something that @MithLuin had suggested on the Forums, page 2 of 5.25, regarding an oligarchy for the city-state and explaining why the Queen could not move against the Cult; the reason being that some prominent families were involved. If that doesn’t fly I’m out of ideas as to how to portray culture clash and misunderstandings in the Frame, unless we’re trying to make Gandalf look like an idiot.

As I understand it, that was prior to the session on Thursday night, correct? Because Prof. Olsen definitely made some decisions on that point. Obviously, we're not trying to make Gandalf look like an idiot. Our plan for the frame for this particular episode is for Gandalf to realize that there is real danger of the Cult of Sauron hijacking the normally "secular" celebration that is coming up, and convincing the Queen to take steps to prevent that by making a change to the festival. The people are resistant to the change, and it starts the signs of resistance to the Queen and the oligarchic council who have been supporting her.

I made that suggestion on February 15th. And while we did go with the oligarchs forming a council, we decided not to have them support the resurgence of the cult of Sauron. As you know, not every suggestion made on the boards is adopted during the podcasts. Decisions made on the podcast are the ones we use to shape the story.

As I understand it, that was prior to the session on Thursday night, correct? Because Prof. Olsen definitely made some decisions on that point. Obviously, we're not trying to make Gandalf look like an idiot. Our plan for the frame for this particular episode is for Gandalf to realize that there is real danger of the Cult of Sauron hijacking the normally "secular" celebration that is coming up, and convincing the Queen to take steps to prevent that by making a change to the festival. The people are resistant to the change, and it starts the signs of resistance to the Queen and the oligarchic council who have been supporting her.
I can get behind that.

We will be discussing Episode 9 on the podcast on Thursday June 10th*.

This episode needs a title. I suggest 'A Brief Flame' Any other ideas?

*Note the changed date.

Last edited:
Presumably because it was not a mutual decision. She's a woman scorned.
A mortal woman's hope is in her children. See Gilraen. Humans in face of danger try to plant a seed for the future, when they are not longer there, for someone to carry on their fight. An inmortal ellon's hope is in his own actions. So he is living his hope while she has to abandon hers. That is why she is bitter.

Last edited:
Back