Script Discussion S05E12

Yeah, we have talked a lot about Finrod being sad when his dog died, and then getting a new puppy. Though obviously not in the scripts.

We've also talked quite a bit about Celegorm's relationship with Huan in particular and animals in general. Not sure that Celegorm would think about having pets as something disparaging.

Just listening to Episode 12, and concerning why Finrod is back there in Nargothrond: while he can and probably does still send up reinforcements up to Orodreth in Tol Sirion (which is imo very important, bc it is one of the major needle holes into beleriand), he is also the supply line, probably. He and especially Amras are, it is even specified in NoME, that they are basically in charge of the grain chambers and livestock economy. Also Finrod does go up with an army and supposedly drives back an army from Tol Sirion and goes to the Fen of Serech, but is then smashed by Sauron, at some point in the battle. I am of course still very influenced by the fanfiction i was co-brainstorming the timeline for this summer, so now i have about 3 separate canons in my head :p

Concerning Glaurung, in the aforementioned fic the writer had this great idea of Glaurung getting the men of Dorthonion to kill each other and start to generally go mad in the villages. I understand that there is not a lot of room in this episode for this story, but in general there is a lot that Glaurung can do as a character & i don't think it does not always just has to be this one on one mind twisting thing, there might be something in scale or kind between the battering ram and the one on one corruption. Something like the dragon breath or its scream, looking him into the eye instilling fear and madness, twisting perception and thoughts in mass scale, not yet on the more personal level we get later. This larger area effects could also be shown a bit more easily, you don't need to have a big character have to meet Glaurung every time, it could be a sort of environmental effect in scenes. Maybe his voice could kinda reverberate over the scene in these moments, so we don't just see him casually dialogue outta nowhere. I really liked the suggestion of Glaurung throwing the thief back at Caranthir too, or maybe saying sth like "Yeah and you earned all your wealth here huh" (in a more eloquent way) There might be a way to kinda phase in his speech like that naturally, and without dedicating a giant scene to it.

Edit: I also am very pro Sauron at Fen of Serech. The swamps are always such a good territory for the baddies, it was like one of the first things melkor did in the marring, stagnating the waters, and cursed swamplands are present in the legendarium. Anti-Ulmo territory, so also good anti turgon/finrod territory right? I love him catching Finrod in the swamp there and maybe toying with them a bit, but just by a bit not getting him into his claws, because of those pesky Beorians. A little inverse Lay of Leithian prelude.

Last edited:
To clarify, Finrod is only at Nargothrond when the battle opens. He quickly mobilizes his army and moves to the front lines...just not in time to save Dorthonion. That is how he winds up in the Fens of Serech in Episode 13.

I do think we will want to revisit the scene of Glaurung attacking the fortifications at Dorthonion with an eye to portraying the dragon attack with his mental effects in mind. Obviously, the fire is very important, but as you say, we can have some elves fleeing or being frozen in place when faced with him. Glaurung appears 4 times in Episode 12, and (I think) 3 times in Episode 13, so we have plenty of time to build up to a conversation with Caranthir, revealing slightly different aspects of the dragon in each scene.

To clarify, Finrod is only at Nargothrond when the battle opens. He quickly mobilizes his army and moves to the front lines...just not in time to save Dorthonion. That is how he winds up in the Fens of Serech in Episode 13.

I do think we will want to revisit the scene of Glaurung attacking the fortifications at Dorthonion with an eye to portraying the dragon attack with his mental effects in mind. Obviously, the fire is very important, but as you say, we can have some elves fleeing or being frozen in place when faced with him. Glaurung appears 4 times in Episode 12, and (I think) 3 times in Episode 13, so we have plenty of time to build up to a conversation with Caranthir, revealing slightly different aspects of the dragon in each scene.
Ah yeah i was more generally referring to his placement in the back there (like Amras). But yeah, while he could be anywhere, I prefer him concretely being in Nargothrond and then hurrying up the valley desperately, but too late.
& yeah, there seems to be enough space to slowly reveal a range of glaurung's capabilities

It makes a lot of sense that Finrod would be too late; of the Noldor kingdoms, he's the farthest from the front lines (more than the 150 leagues that Menegroth is from Angband).

Back