Script Discussion S05E13

One thing I'd like to avoid is something that reminds viewers of the fight between Eowyn and the Witch King.

Flails are kind of done a bit weirdly in media in a way that isn't really anything like history. I'd be willing to talk about it, but I'd want to be careful.
The main depiction of a flail I've seen in a movie (outside of the Return of the King) is with the 1952 adaptation of Ivanhoe (the one starring Elizabeth Taylor as Rebecca), where Bois-Guilbert uses a flail as his main weapon in the final duel for Rebecca's life; the duel is primarily on horseback until Ivanhoe uses his axe to entangle Bois-Guilbert's flail and drag him off his horse, Bois-Guilbert makes another swing, Ivanhoe ducks, strikes upward with the axe, and whack.

I really tried to think of any epic human vs giant duels in movies... i thought i had seen something in animation films, but it obviously is a really hard thing to do.

Morningstar in Marvel does similar damage, but is a fast martial artist. I was thinking of Juggernaut or Mon Starr... Mad Max against Masterblaster but usually it becomes Mickey Mouse aka Jack and the beanstalk.

Still the best example i can think of is knight of hope, this is one big towering fully armoured man with a sword against common brigands though. Not one tough knight against a towering guy twice his size.

I absolutely loved Knight of Hope. It's one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen. Knowing nothing about any of the characters involved, there were still moments during which I teared up.

Ok, I'm in Act II now. I haven't finished the Act I Finrod scene, but I'll come back to that later. I have a pretty good handle on how to roll up the Himring and Barad Eithel stories, so I might finish them first.
Ohhh exciting. If you need help with the Finrod scene, brainstorming or sth, i would be very up for that. & if you need "beta readers" for the draft (like with the last script i think?), too

Ohhh exciting. If you need help with the Finrod scene, brainstorming or sth, i would be very up for that. & if you need "beta readers" for the draft (like with the last script i think?), too

Definitely feel free to look over what I have so far and leave any comments or suggestions right there in the document.

So, I just finished Scene 8 where Glaurung speaks. I'm not super-proud of the dialogue between Caranthir and Amras. It's serviceable, but it lacks bite. I'm going to move on for now, but I'd welcome any suggestions.

Maybe it could have a bit more meat on the bone if Caranthir tries to hide /not make it too obvious to Amras that he's mostly trying to rescue treasure, and Amras first is confused about his behaviour and then gets suspicious and confronts him about it? Caranthir is very focused on his stuff, but he's probably self-conscious enough to realise that other ppl might not always agree with his priorities, especially in an urgent situation like this.

I really like the Glaurung moment though!

With two days to go before the official completion deadline of the episode, I am halfway done with the "main story". Scenes 1-8 are written. Please feel free to go through and make any suggested edits to dialogue, as I'm pretty clearly rushing things and am likely to miss stuff. I'm going to take a quick look at what I need for Act III tonight before bed, so hopefully when I attack this tomorrow night, I can get at least 2-3 scenes done.

Ok, I got Finrod's plotline up through Barahir's arrival done. @Kathrin , let me know what you think. It's not exactly what you were suggesting, but I think it works well in alignment with what was already there.

I really like it! I am just throwing ideas at the wall here, but it first has to work for the person putting it all together and for the flow of the episode in the end, and i think it's quite a good compromise ^^

I really like it! I am just throwing ideas at the wall here, but it first has to work for the person putting it all together and for the flow of the episode in the end, and i think it's quite a good compromise ^^

Thank you for helping make the scene more dynamic!

I’ve had a look at the script and made a couple of small edit suggestions. I think the songs of Sauron and Finrod should be in Quenya, not Sindarin since Finrod is singing of Valinor (same will go fo the song battle next season - obviously Luthien’s songs will be Sindarin). Love the Caranthir/Amras/Glaurung scene. I wish I had had more time to help out to flesh out the other scenes but I’m chasing a number of work deadlines at the moment.

And, our outline, and progress update post: (Last Edited 10/16/21)

Teaser: Not Started
Confrontation between brothers

ACT 1: Written

Scene 1: Written
Fingolfin's army thrown into full retreat

Scene 2: Written
Finrod joins the battle. It goes poorly.

Scene 3: Written
Gate of Himring has fallen

Scene 4: Written
Glaurung attacks Keep Helevorn

ACT II: Written

Scene 5: Written
Fingolfin's army routed to Barad Eithel

Scene 6: Written
Barahir rescues Finrod

Scene 7: Written
Assault on Himring Broken

Scene 8: Written
Amras rescues Caranthir

ACT III: Incomplete

Scene 9: Written
Ring of Barahir given

Scene 10: Written
Settling in montage

Scene 11a: Written
Sauron breaks things down

Scene 11b: Written
Maedhros breaks things down

Scene 12: Written
Debate at Barad Eithel

ACT IV: Incomplete

Scene 13: Written
Fingolfin sets off for Angband

Scene 14: Not Started
Finrod and Andreth in Brethil

Scene 15: Incomplete
The Duel

Scene 16: Not Started
Frame - Incanus and Abrazan escape

Tag: Not Started
Final Montage
Gandalf and Abrazan arrive at Harlond

Nearly finished! Scene 14 still needs to be completed and the Duel needs some dialogue and other stuff done to it, but the end is near!

Ok, main story of the episode is done. I'm not going to use what little time is left for editing to write the frame scenes, unless we get through editing super-quickly.

Let me know what you guys think so far!

Back