Script Discussion S05E13

Interesting!

I did not expect the duel to be so...well, almost episodic!

Thornli is a strange name... "eagle-folk"? I was also surprised to get more named background characters this time...

Fingolfin and Fingon having a dialogue before his departure is an interesting choice.Somehow i expected him to ride out stoic and silent, but he explains himself before he leaves... not sure if i like that.

Interesting!

I did not expect the duel to be so...well, almost episodic!
Yeah... There was always going to be some weirdness with the structure surrounding the duel. So we leaned into that, with an aim at making it clear that the battle itself has ended. No one is riding in to the rescue.

Thornli is a strange name... "eagle-folk"? I was also surprised to get more named background characters this time...

I literally made up the name Thornli on the spot. I'm not super-attached to it.

Fingolfin and Fingon having a dialogue before his departure is an interesting choice.Somehow i expected him to ride out stoic and silent, but he explains himself before he leaves... not sure if i like that.

In order to give the Hosts what they were looking for as far Fingolfin's motivation is concerned, he needs to speak frankly with *someone*. And we also needed to resolve the story arc we've been working on between Fingon and Fingolfin since E02.

Oh, about dwarf names... what about a word meaning "small", like "Cidinn"? Or "Migin" (Goldogrin, but i guess we still could use that language on and off)

Allright! What i like very much is the quasi-dialogue between Sauron/Thuringwethil and the two brothers, nicely played.

I was trying to remember where I have seen that technique used well, and it occurred to me that this conversation in Episode 5 of Code Geass is similar:

Timestamp: 14:35-16:03

The two boys speaking are childhood friends...who have been on opposite sides of two different wars, both flipping sides between childhood and their teen years. They have very similar reasons for wanting to fight, but *very* different outlooks. In this conversation, they lay out their reasons for fighting...but also reveal why they are never going to see things the same way. Naturally, they will be opponents throughout most of the series. They both want to end war to protect the weak...but one is going to conquer the world as a supervillain to do so :p.

Last edited:
I was trying to remember where I have seen that technique used well, and it occurred to me that this conversation in Episode 5 of Code Geass is similar:

Timestamp: 14:35-16:03

The two boys speaking are childhood friends...who have been on opposite sides of two different wars, both flipping sides between childhood and their teen years. They have very similar reasons for wanting to fight, but *very* different outlooks. In this conversation, they lay out their reasons for fighting...but also reveal why they are never going to see things the same way. Naturally, they will be opponents throughout most of the series. They both want to end war to protect the weak...but one is going to conquer the world as a supervillain to do so :p.

Where you see this a lot is generally musicals. As in:

I wasn’t able to read the script until now (and I missed most of the session today). Nick, this is a magnificant script. I got shivers during the oath of Finrod scene and tears during the fight. As good as if it was actually produced (Probably better, because I can use my imagination as well).

This is a little retroactive, but I've been listening to the Children of Hurin lately. Could we have at least some reference to the party that Sador Labadal was a part of during the Bragollach? He mentions that he showed up too late and carried their lord back, but was involved in the battle. Dont even have to mention him by name, or show him, just mention of a host that is late to the party. Just a suggestion.

I think we are going to find that the heavy details in the story of Túrin will reveal a *lot* of things that we should have mentioned or aluded to at various points along the way. We have been trying (the petty dwarves are at Amon Rûdh, for instance), but I am sure there are things we have forgotten.

I presume we will be including Sador as a character, but I don't know if we intend to preserve his role in the Dagor Bragollach the same as there. He could mention arriving late, and that would explain why he was not shown on screen in the battle. We do show wounded Men of Dor-lomin, so he could also reference that.

This is a little retroactive, but I've been listening to the Children of Hurin lately. Could we have at least some reference to the party that Sador Labadal was a part of during the Bragollach? He mentions that he showed up too late and carried their lord back, but was involved in the battle. Dont even have to mention him by name, or show him, just mention of a host that is late to the party. Just a suggestion.
Well, Hador is already dead at this point as well.

Yes, Hador has died and Galdor is Lord of Dor-lomin. His brother Gundor is killed by a balrog in the Dagor Bragollach, so Sador could mention accompanying his body home after the battle. (Very Homecoming of Beortnorth)

As for the petty dwarves, we could still have built them up more in the past, or could have their story pop up a little from time to time, as we have a lot of time to go still till Mîms main appearance. But those are always the challenging storylines, that are very very insignificant to the main plot for many seasons till the season where they become significant where you notice a tiny bit more setup in the background would've been nice.

Also I assume that during the whole nirnaeth story we will have an opportunity to look around Beleriand again, so it would not be impossible to check up on at least the fate of certain groups of men after the bragollach, if not on sador as a character. (Although that would not be impossible, that sador might be a background character in a moment in the north in a nirnaeth ep, right?

Druedain have not yet been introduced in our show, no. And it's been a long time since we've seen an ent or one of the petty-dwarves.

There would be an opportunity to meet Sador in Season 7, as Húrin and Huor will be central characters and we'll be spending some time in Dor-lomin.

Back