Script Discussion S06 Frame catchup

Nicholas Palazzo

So we are pretty far behind on our frame story. We're going to be going over what scenes we need to fill in for Episodes 1-5 on July 15, @ 8 PM ET.

Last edited:
Here is our current Season Outline:

1655158687859.png
1655158731953.png

For each episode, we will have to decide whether to advance the Aragorn story in the Frame, or the Arwen story, which the episodes being split fairly evenly between the 2 of them. (3 episodes will feature 'both', leaving 5 Aragorn-centric and 5 Arwen-centric).

Here is my first attempt at breaking down the Frame story. This is not set - just a suggestion of how to proceed.

For this season's frame, we have two parallel stories that overlap a bit at times, but are largely independent of one another. Thus, we need to work out the arc of each story, identify the points at which they overlap, and then map them to episodes where we can choose which of the two to include. There is a request from Corey Olsen to have one Frame story where one scene is from the Aragorn storyline, and the other scene is from the Arwen storyline, and somehow this frames the episode. (Okay, so he requested more than that, but let's see if we can make it happen once as a novelty, rather than make that a goal).

So,
Aragorn's storyline:
  • Elrond tells him his heritage: his name is Aragorn, son of Arathorn
  • At first, his reaction is excitement - I'm somebody!
  • Then, the weight of what he is meant to do comes crushing down...he is working on an impossible task, all alone
  • HE MEETS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN (overlap)
  • He decides that, hey, okay, he still has to do this impossible task, but it's okay, because the world is bigger than his problem, and Arwen exists
  • Gilraen discusses the possibility of marriage to a nice Dunedain girl with Estel (Aragorn), now that he knows who he is. He is not thrilled.
  • Elrond discusses the importance of not marrying before he claims the throne, and Aragorn is much more amenable to this advice.
  • Aragorn decides to adventure in the wild, taking the first steps to work towards his goal.
  • Aragorn and Arwen discuss the Shadow before he leaves, conveying Hope to one another despite the hardships ahead. (overlap)

Arwen's storyline:
  • Living in Lothlórien, Arwen becomes disquieted due to events in the world. She feels the end of the time of the Elves is fast approaching, and that she should do something about that.
  • Arwen reaches the very reasonable conclusion that there is not much hope of anything turning out well. The elves can flee west, and Men can try, but the rise of Sauron feels pretty inevitable at this point.
  • She decides to return to Rivendell and speak with her father. Her role as 'the Evenstar of her people' contrasted with Elrond's role as the preserver of living memory of the Elder days (Rivendell=preserved lore). In what ways is she to be his heir?
  • She meets a cute human kid out in the garden one day. (overlap)
  • She decides that, hey, okay, maybe the defeat isn't so inevitable, and that human kid is rather special - maybe he'll do better than that Numenor mess....
  • Her role as Evenstar is to convey the reality of elvendom forward into the dominion of Men.
  • Aragorn and Arwen discuss the Shadow before he leaves, conveying Hope to one another despite the hardships ahead. (overlap)

Joint storyline: Feeling isolated and overwhelmed, Aragorn and Arwen find estel in their meeting with one another, allowing them both to move forward with their perceived purpose.

Roughly? Something like that. Putting their meeting approximately around Episode 7. At any rate, I have included the correct number of bullet points if we are to have 13 different frames episodes following the description at the top of the post.

This session will be delayed one week until Friday July 15th at 8 PM Eastern Time, due to a change in the podcast schedule.

Luckily, that gives us some time to do a little work on this here!

I have realized I am unable to make the script discussion on Friday due to travel, so I will leave my thoughts here.

I suggest that they meet in Episode 8 or 9 (to coincide with Beren and Luthien's reunion and commitment prior to reching Angband), and that our mixed episode be either episode 4 (to pair with Tinuviel! Tinuviel!) or episode 13 (as I think it's probably best to check in with both our focus characters in the final episode). Honestly, I'd like it to be both if possible, but I recognize the difficulty there.

Perhaps, as a way of tying the two stories of such an episode together, we could center that story on Gilraen or Elrond, having the two both talk to them. Or, perhaps, instead, we could have two conversations (Aragorn with Gilraen and Arwen with Elrond) juxtaposed.

Now that we have reached the final script discussion, I wanted to return to the season's frame.

We will be doing a podcast discussion of the Season 6 Frame story at some point in the future (ie, late April or May). While it would be fine to present the outline of the Frame that we came up with last July, it might also be nice to have written out the script for the full Frame story, and present it in a separate document.

Would anyone be interested in contributing to writing the frame for Season 6?

I want to write the frame scenes for Episode 1, to finish that script which I wrote last spring. I've already written the Frame scenes for Episode 2. And Dillon has written the frame scenes for Episode 3. Kathrin has written the Frame scenes in Episode 10. So, really, what would 9 more episodes of Frame be? Most episodes only have 2-3 frame scenes to write, so 4-8 pages of script should cover it for each episode.

Season 6 Frame

Episode 1: Script + Frame written - Marie
Episode 2: Script + Frame written - Marie
Episode 3: Script + Frame written - Dillon

Episode 4: No script, no frame - ??
Episode 5: Partial script (by Rhiannon) + Frame written - Marie
Episode 6: Script only (by Ilana), no frame
Episode 7: No script, no frame - ??
Episode 8: No script, no frame - ??
Episode 9: No script, no frame - ??
Episode 10: Script + Frame written - Kathrin
Episode 11: No script, no frame
Episode 12: Script (by Ilana), frame?
Episode 13: TBD

If anyone is interested in tackling the frame scenes from a particular episode, go ahead and post here. (I'll give someone who was assigned the script for that episode right of first refusal). Then, use the script outline for that episode to see what scenes need to be written. A teaser/tag is 2-4 pages of script; a numbered scene is a full four pages. Standard screenwriting formating applies. Ideally, we'll get each episode's frame scenes written, and then I can compile them into a single document to be presented as the script for the Frame Story for Season 6.

To reply to Evan's comment from last summer, congratulating us on our cleverness....the way to integrate the separate Aragorn and Arwen storylines is to make generous use of Elrond as a frame character. It is no mistake that we have a frame story that is entirely about Elrond's purpose in life (Episode 5). So, keep in mind that we are really tracking Aragorn, Arwen, and Elrond through this frame story.

Any interest?

Last edited:
Here is the document where I am beginning to gather the frame stories. So far, it is only Episodes 1-4.

If anyone decides to tackle frame scenes from another episode, you may share a document with me (so I might copy them over), or you can add them directly to this document. Hope that makes it easy enough to contribute! (Note that this document will be in Courier Prime font)

Update: The Frame Story document now contains as much frame story exists for all episodes in Season 6.

That means that the Frame is written for Episodes 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10.
Summaries of the Frame scenes have been added for Episodes 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, and 12.
And simple one-line synopses of the frame story in that episode are provided for Episodes 8 and 13.

For anyone who wishes to contribute, the last chance and deadline will be Tuesday evening (Eastern Time).
Feedback on any of the current Frame scenes is also welcome, and can be left directly on the document. (Add a comment, or switch to 'Suggesting' mode if you wish to suggest an edit.)

Back