Script Discussion S06E05

I've had a chance to read it over, and I would say that what you have so far is very good. It's understandable that, given the time constraints and the holidays, there wouldn't be time for a full script.

I would like to address a few small matters in Act II.

Daeron is certainly quiet. Even the scene where he tells Thingol is silent (to the viewer). I think this could be a good buildup, depending on how he breaks his silence in Act 3, but it could seem that he is too passive and accepting of Thingol's actions if he stands by silently the entire time. Something to be careful of - we see that he is dejected, but so far that is all.

In the confrontation between Lúthien and Thingol, he first considers confining her to her room, before her continued defiance leads him to take her outside to Hirilorn.

1670179100432.png

Based on the discussions on the podcast, Corey Olsen specifically wanted to avoid any 'go to your room, young lady, and think about what you've said' implications. I understand wanting to show the inspiration for using Hirilorn as a prison coming from Lúthien's words, but I think it might be better if he confines her to Menegroth under guard or threatens to imprison her. Because having this line in here makes the entire treehouse idea feel like 'go to your room.'

While I like the discussion of the meaning of Curufin's name, and giving him a chance to use a tiny amount of Quenya to remind the audience of why these guys in particular are so disliked by Thingol, I think the discussion of the meaning of Fëanor's name is unnecessary. Beren is showing knowledge and understanding of Quenya by recognizing the element 'phin' in both Finwë and Curufin's names. Fëanor clearly has the same meaning in both languages, and is not adding to the discussion.
1670187409302.png

Also, Celegorm takes one step too far and oversells their plan.

1670180481043.png

While everyone does indeed what to defeat Morgoth and conquer Angband, it has been 460 years now and the Noldor have gotten nowhere close to doing anything about that. The Dagor Bragollach was a defeat and a setback, making this even less likely. No one thinks that they are going to acheive this goal in Beren's lifetime, and in fact, Beren and Lúthien acheiving the Quest is what reminds the Noldor that Morgoth is not unassailable. In other words, Celegorm's enthusiasm is not based on any real hope, and therefore sounds fake. It would make more sense if what he was offering here is an alternative way of impressing Thingol and winning Lúthien's hand, not actually a path forwards for the Quest. If they conquer Tol Sirion, and if Beren is the leader of the army to do so, surely he will then have standing to press his case again and make Thingol reconsider. Even without fulfilling the unspecified quest to Angband.

All in all, a great first half of Episode 5, that does a nice job of setting up later episodes this season and tying in to what has come before.

Last edited:
Hey guys. Just wanted to add my appreciation of the amount of work @Rhiannon has put into this script on such short notice. I also want to clarify that there is no expectation that suggested edits be resolved between now and Thursday night. The document has been shared as a "Work in Progress" and Professor Olsen has been made aware of the unique circumstances.

@Rhiannon I just wanted to remind you that there is a song in this episode (it was on another thread). I'm sure I mentioned it to @Nicholas Palazzo

The Silmaril Poem is Finrod's internal musings on the silmarils and fits in the end of Scene 10 where Finrod has his time of contemplation alone and comes to a decision. The way I have written the music make this scene the climax of the episode as Finrod resolves his internal conflict between the two oaths and it may work better as the beginning of the following Nargothrond scene leading directly into the banquet/announcement as I have put a big reverb onto the final word "drown" which leads into his announcement. I say banquet/announcement because it feels like they should be one scene, not two). I remember Riddles in the Dark with the question of "how many times will Bilbo go down into the dragon's den?" In the book 3 times. In the movie, only once. Combining scenes makes the limited time of a movie/episode run smoother.

Back