Script Discussion S06E07

Quick sketch:

1660354325438.png

Part of the discussion centered around where Lúthien was at various points of the battle, and whether or not Tol Sirion's dual drawbridges have any sort of gate house on the shore of the river.

Last edited:
I mentioned the villains of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles in the Tokyo Revelations arc as an example of the death of Thuringwethil.

Here is the end of part 1, in which the underling betrays the master by aiding a trapped prisoner in his escape.
22:59-23:36

Here is part 2, in which the villain has a long backstory monologue, explaining how he created a clone of Syaoran.
At the beginning of this, we see him seated on a throne, looking at a magic mirror to see current events:

1660365881246.png

As the story progresses, we see that he seems to be telling this story to a person in the room with him.
1660365769751.png

At the end of this history lesson, it is revealed that she was not exactly in a state to be listening to him.
2:44-3:04

I don't think we have such a calm Sauron in our episode 7, but I do think that his reaction to the death of Thuringwethil can be entirely self-centered. Sure, she's dying, but he just lost everything.

Last edited:
We also had a rather intense discussion focusing on prison design, as Tol Sirion likely did not originally contain a dungeon and has been recently retrofitted to accommodate prisoners.

We settled on a series of oubliettes, open at the top, which would allow werewolves to jump down into them to kill prisoners, and then jump back out again to leave. There's not a clear way for the prisoners to climb out. These pits could have originally been used as storage bins, possibly for grain.

Other highlights of this discussion included:
  • Big pit
  • Big pit with alcoves
  • Big hallway with alcoves
  • Big pit with ledges
  • Big pit with werewolf
  • Big pit with combination of any of the above

The key design requirements were:

1) retrofitted storerooms

2) Finrod and Beren must be imprisoned close enough to one another to speak conversationally, but not so close that they can touch one another.

3) werewolves need to be able to enter and leave the space at will

4) structurally sound enough to allow someone imprisoned inside to survive the fall of the tower

5) plausible that a werewolf attack can be heard but not seen by the other prisoners, and that fellow prisoners are realistically unable to do anything about these werewolf attacks.

Someone please enlighten me.

I've heard it referred to in a couple of the podcast sessions this season, as well as this script discussion, but I could find nothing on it in any sessions of previous scripts/outlines, nor do I recall it from anything I've listened in on before (but you'll realize my memory is like that :p) but what the heck is the "double voice" thing in reference to Sauron?

Someone please enlighten me.

I've heard it referred to in a couple of the podcast sessions this season, as well as this script discussion, but I could find nothing on it in any sessions of previous scripts/outlines, nor do I recall it from anything I've listened in on before (but you'll realize my memory is like that :p) but what the heck is the "double voice" thing in reference to Sauron?
I am reasonably certain it comes from our discussions surrounding the Mereth Aderthad in S04. I don't recall if we came up with it during the script discussion or if it came from the main podcast.

PS. It is also not impossible that it started back in S03 with the capture of Maedhros.

Yes, this idea originated in Season 3 with the capture of Maedhros. The idea was that, yes, Sauron is not human (or elf, or even incarnate), so he can do something unusual like this...and that he's performing magic in that moment, so it signals that something weird is going on, and he's making it happen. If I recall correctly, this was first suggested by Haakon on the boards.

It was then reprised in Season 4 with the Mereth Aderthad, when Sauron once again uses magic to influence elves - this time with the assistance of a hurdy-gurdy.

Back