Script Discussion S06E12

So..... About all that... I apparently failed to communicate the various shifts to my much better half and we are now booked for something for tomorrow night. I'm not sure how I will manage to make it up to you guys, but I'm afraid I have to cancel for tomorrow.
Oh I'm sure we'll think of something! (*winks*)

Nice work. Especially liked the comparison Thingol-Melian to Beren-Luthien and also Carcharoth destroying their first meeting's glade.

Last edited:
One particularly interesting idea that came out of this discussion was Dillon's suggestion that meeting places for lovers who had good relationships would be doomed - something bad would happen there later. But if it is a place associated with evil/bad/doomed relationships, then...that place will be preserved forever unchanged for all of Middle-earth's history. Sort of a 'nothing gold can stay' approach to beauty, goodness, and love in Middle-earth, with a heavy sense of loss hanging over even the beautiful parts.

So far, we have:

Nan Elmoth, meeting place of Thingol and Melian --> Eol's abode, a forest of entrapment
Nevrast, meeting place of Orodreth and Meril at the Mereth Aderthad --> city abandoned
Tarn Aeluin, meeting place used by Andreth and Aegnor --> massacre of the outlaw band by Thuringwethil
Glade where Beren and Lúthien first meet near the border of Neldoreth --> destroyed by Carcaroth
Pools of Ivrin - we haven't written Finduilas' romance with Gwindor yet, but presumably this location will feature? --> destroyed by Glaurung

To be contrasted with:
Tol Morwen - near the meeting place of Túrin and Nienor (which was Finduilas' grave), their memorial stone survives the drowning of Beleriand
Himling - eh, whatever the relationship between Fingon and Maedhros is, it certainly isn't going to end well in the Nirnaeth, and they've been apart all along
Tol Fuin - romance of Gorlim and Eilinel in Dorthonion

It's not a perfect correspondance, but again, we're only going for an impression of loss, not a hard and fast rule.

1680416563083.png
Mindeb is the river that comes down from Dorthonion into Dimbar, and forms the western border of Neldoreth.

Attachments

• 1680416560634.png
    1680416560634.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Naming braintrust, I call upon you for aid! I'm looking for a Sindarin name for a red shirt companion of Beleg's who has some lines across the episode but will be a casualty during the Wolf hunt.

Amrúnel - 'east elf' if he's one of the Green elves who came to Doriath with Saeros.

Eglanil - 'friend of the Forsaken' if he's more akin to Círdan's people

Daur + gûr - 'wise heart'... probably not a good place for that idea

Neldorwain - 'young birch'

Or you could name him thirteenth :p

Naming braintrust, I call upon you for aid! I'm looking for a Sindarin name for a red shirt companion of Beleg's who has some lines across the episode but will be a casualty during the Wolf hunt.
Quick question, how much of a read shirt? How many lines? What I’m saying is, do they need a name? Bearing in mind, a name automatically suggests to an audience a person worth remembering and thus adds to the mental load they need to collect. Having a name subliminally says, here’s more data to retain. If it’s needed for story, got for it. If it’s just for someone to address him and give him an instruction, removing the addressing. Streamline the story wherever possible. They may need a name. But just double check you’ve asked the question. My two cents

There are reasons to go with "Broken Ankle Guy" or "Singing Youth" or "Guard #2" - especially if there is no expectation of seeing the character again.

But it's easier to keep track of someone with a name, so no harm in naming him if he survives. If he dies, he should probably appear in the Halls of Mandos next episode.

There are reasons to go with "Broken Ankle Guy" or "Singing Youth" or "Guard #2" - especially if there is no expectation of seeing the character again.

But it's easier to keep track of someone with a name, so no harm in naming him if he survives. If he dies, he should probably appear in the Halls of Mandos next episode.
If he dies and shows up in the Halls of Mandos, could it be a confirmation to Lúthien or Beren as to where they are?

Yeah, I guess all I mean is you don’t have to stress about just because you feel they NEED a name. If you want to, go for it, but don’t sweat it. And don’t waste a great name on them :)

A note on ages:

At the wedding, Morwen is about 20 years old, and Rían is about 13.

Back