Script Discussion Schedule and Updates

I filled out some stuff in the first episode, but I made efforts not to change too much of what was already present. I will take another look at the last half of it because I feel like I was a bit rushed, but tomorrow morning is all about Episodes 2 and 3.

I do, however, have a date with some friends and a microphone, and will be performing my own personal spin on Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" at about 7 PM tomorrow evening, so I have to allot for that. Episode 3 may not be done until Sunday.

Nick, is the time for Saturday's session finalized? I want people to be able to make plans :)

Yes, I will definitely host a session Saturday. I am going to try and open it up as early as 5 pm to at least give our European colleagues a shot at some input. If anyone shows that early, I will start broadcasting.

Okay - I doubt Brian can make it that early, though, so we might have overlapping participation.

=_= YES.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_vegWVPwrAVsNqhTye3oSFqNqefdILFP3mZQ-n3q5Xs/edit

Edit: I kept telling myself "okay, so I've punched out the first one, the next couple should go much quicker."

This one took me LONGER, something like 8 hours or more over the last few days. AND IT'S STILL MISSING BITS. I'm... pretty sure?... the plot is more coherent and flows fairly well, but I don't think I realized how sketchy some of these were. It's 2AM and I am amped as hell, so I'm going to dig into episode 3 and spit something out before show time, but it has become abundantly clear to me that trying to do these all at once is a TERRIBLE idea. Are they going to try to do the next episode next week?

So, I am going to basically set aside weekly writing time for this, because there is absolutely no way I can do this to any amount of satisfaction without devoting ENORMOUS amounts of regular time to it. It's possible that maybe this is too detailed? I did my level best to get as specific as possible, but the time investment for doing so is completely bonkers. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the outcome, but timely, this ain't.

Much better, thanks!

Haven't had a chance to look it over yet, but it's Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn (they aren't king and queen). And we've tentatively named Arwen's friend Eirien (it means 'Daisy').

my desk is not large enough for me to smack my head on it without breaking it.

Edit: Also, I can make an effort to show up on time for Saturday this week (at 6am, for me), as I haven't got anything going for Saturday evening.

Understood on the time commitment front. What you're doing looks *awesome*, but obviously we're not going to have it complete all the way through Episode 13 by next week. (Unless you recruit some helpers!)

I can make sure the hosts have this updated version of the Episode 2 outline for tomorrow's session. Are there any other episodes that you've worked on that I should be passing along?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qxo2MWCpK8ovHNNg6O4feo9z1bDwYJq8z8NoTMkKTJE/edit

Episode 1 is here, and should be all permissioned up and ready to go. I am gonna try to punch out Episode 3 before I retire for the.... morning.... but I think that may be done too late to be of use.

I would definitely like to talk on Saturday on whether or not this format for the Outlines is the right target. I have a lot of fun doing them and reading them, but I have concerns over whether or not the volume is sustainable.

But I am gratified that your first impression is positive. :p

Oh, and as for schedule - tomorrow's session is meant to deal with half of the Script Outlines (so, 1-7), and next week's session will deal with the other half (8-13). Episode 8-13 outlines are *much* sketchier than Episode 3-7, IIRC, so at the very least I'll have to spend some time this week on a basic outline.

Ok, I will pdf those up when I get home from work and send them along.

If the volume might be unsustainable....

It's better to have 100% completion on something that is 80% as thorough as we prefer, than to have 80% completion of something that is 100% as thorough as we prefer. I reckon, anyway. We can chat about a full roster of mostly good enough scripts, but we can't chat about an incomplete roster no matter how good the completed ones are.

Luckily, we have had complete drafts of Episodes 1-7 since December, so the lack of re-writes isn't a problem.

But we don't have complete drafts for 8-13 yet, so I will make sure we have those by next Thursday.

Oh, and as for schedule - tomorrow's session is meant to deal with half of the Script Outlines (so, 1-7), and next week's session will deal with the other half (8-13). Episode 8-13 outlines are *much* sketchier than Episode 3-7, IIRC, so at the very least I'll have to spend some time this week on a basic outline.

Ok, I will pdf those up when I get home from work and send them along.
Thanks, Marie.

If the volume might be unsustainable....

It's better to have 100% completion on something that is 80% as thorough as we prefer, than to have 80% completion of something that is 100% as thorough as we prefer. I reckon, anyway. We can chat about a full roster of mostly good enough scripts, but we can't chat about an incomplete roster no matter how good the completed ones are.

I'm not so sure that, at this level of distance from actual-finished-manuscript, the difference between those two things is terribly distinct. We do, in essence, have outlines all more or less put together and ready to go, but there's not a ton of meat for the Hosts to dig into on them. I will be curious to hear whether they think what I put together for Episodes 1 and 2 is in fact "too much", and they want it byte-sized (considering how much time they have to go through everything), but what I produced these last couple of weeks definitely feels a lot closer to my own personal vision of what the Roundtables were supposed to be producing.

Edit: Ooooooooh, so we haven't got that for Episodes 8-13.

Hmm.

I'm going to stick with getting Episode 3 done tonight and then recalculate in the morning. It'll take some discipline on my part not to get caught up in the nitty-gritty, but I definitely think the shorter, less detailed versions of the outlines won't take as long....

(famous last words)

Back